Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Voltage drop to pumps issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 600 Likes on 474 Posts

Default Voltage drop to pumps issue

Having issues with my new build. Fuel pressure dropping, and apparently a voltage loss as well. My entire fuel system is Racetronix, from twin 340 LPH pumps to all lines, regulator, rails, double pump hotwire harness and intermediate harness. Started street tuning the combo and figured out that I am dropping fuel pressure starting around 5000 RPM. Sometimes a little sooner, sometimes later.

Tested the wiring this morning and I am getting a 1.1V drop from the alternator stud to the pump bulkhead on both the red and blue power wires. I have tested EVERY location along the routing path. Voltages are as follows: 14.4V @ alternator, 14.3V @ fuse ( on the side going to the back of the car ), 13.5V at the power going into the relay, 13.3V at the power going into the 7-way connector, and 13.3V at the bulkhead connector. Dropping 1.1V over a relatively short length of wire is troublesome.

The wiring is routed along the same path as my fuel lines, along the driver's side of the car. Exits from the top of the tank on the passenger side, drops down to where the relays are mounted and the ground wire is attached to the body. Goes across above the axle, turns and follows the fuel lines up front, then diverges at the firewall and goes behind the cylinder head and intake and travels over the top of the intake next to the fuel rail. Hotwires are then attached to the output on the alternator, and ground for the pumps is attached to a stud that grounds to the block.

I cannot figure out what is causing this drop in voltage, there's a 0.8V drop in the length of wire running from the fuses to the relays in the rear. That's excessive for 10AWG wiring. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? I'm attaching a screenshot of a datalog so the fuel issue can be seen:

Old 08-28-2024, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to tell without actually looking at it and testing but I would recommend the basics, unplug your 10 awg wire and measure resistance from beginning to end. Try a 8 or 6 awg wire. Is heat an issue? Try looking for heat spots. Not much but hope this helps 👍
Old 08-28-2024, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

were you using the same ground reference on your meter?

i would start with replacing the crimped ends and see if that helps. if not, the whole run of wire needs to be replaced.

this is assuming you already checked all connections are properly seated/secured
Old 08-28-2024, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 600 Likes on 474 Posts

Wasn't using the same ground reference, I didn't have long enough leads. I tested at the wire, not the crimps, so the crimps are good. It really seems to be in the length of wire from the fuse to the relay, but it's also BOTH my hotwires. Seems unlikely that each run of wire would have the same defect. The harness is brand new as well, would seem odd to have a problem like this in brand new wiring, unless the copper is inferior. I've checked all connections, everything is solid.
Old 08-28-2024, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 193 Likes on 141 Posts

There is some really shitty wire coming out of XHINA, Copper flashed aluminum strands. Total garbage.

Not saying that IS your problem, but Real, genuine Belden copper 10 Gauge will carry 30 amps and not heat up.
Also, make sure your crimp terminals are tin plated COPPER and not nickle plated STEEL. The STEEL ring terminals are sometimes used in high voltage industrial wiring, because they can handle heat better, but NOT EVER useful for 12 volt DC wiring, where the conductivity of COPPER is essential.
Also: crimp, solder and heat shrink all connections, if you are able.

Quick Reply: Voltage drop to pumps issue