Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

700 to spend and get better sound, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i am TRYING to install this setup, now i am not a total dumbass (i am a certified heavy equip. tech, mostly cummins NTC stuff , anyway) but i do have a few questions...

1- how do i get the window handles off , my chiltons says to use the specialty tool (but does not tell you what that on is) and then suggest a wire hanger. i am lost on that one.

2-the pac adapter i bought says not to install it behind the HU, where does it go then? and do teh wires correspond by color or are there RCA's on the fact. HU?

i am trying to save @150 for teh install i am just about ready to not attempt it and leave it up to an installer. what do yall suggest?
Old 12-14-2004, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

well great, i just got off the phone w/Navone engineering, he said to get the highest cleanest volt out i should just use teh monsoon amp and plug into it behind the amp and that i dont need a aftermarket amp. WTH!?!

he said something about using the fact. amp and getting 12 v VS. my JBL amp and getting two. i am so confused now.

is the MS (monsoon) an amp and nothing else, i thought it split the highs and lows and that was why it was such a distortion box. man, what gives.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by golddot
1- how do i get the window handles off , my chiltons says to use the specialty tool (but does not tell you what that on is) and then suggest a wire hanger. i am lost on that one.
Is it a roll-up window handle? If so, I've used a small flat blade scrediver bent 90 degrees about 1/2" from the tip and filed down a little to spring the clip that holds the handle on for older GM cars ('72 Buick). Those clips were horsehoe shaped and snapped under the handle itself.
Other alternative "tools" could be a cheap knife, never tried the coat hanger but it might work as well.

I found this site explaining a similar process for a '93 Grand Am (probably simialr design to yours).
http://www.stretcher.com/stories/02/02aug19j.cfm

BTW, there are no RCA preamp outs on the monsoon head and I would skip using the factory amp as that is where most of the distortion in these systems comes from.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

thanks, i think that is going to help w/the windows, i am putting the whole project on hold till i get an answer on this amp deal, i love my 2001 Z, but i sure do miss the days of 70's cars, so simple and easy.....
Old 12-15-2004, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

can anyone elaborate on that advice from above that i go tfrom navrone engineering? he told me to "cut the wires at the back of my monsoon amp and not to bother w/the JBL amp i bought" he said i would loose to much "voltage" something about 2v versus 10v and how the sound would be much louder, i am wondering if i bought an amp i did not need.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by golddot
can anyone elaborate on that advice from above that i go tfrom navrone engineering? he told me to "cut the wires at the back of my monsoon amp and not to bother w/the JBL amp i bought" he said i would loose to much "voltage" something about 2v versus 10v and how the sound would be much louder, i am wondering if i bought an amp i did not need.
I'd say at least try it the way you originally intended before you go hacking at the harness. The other members will call me out if I'm wrong, but I understood the monsoon amp is the turd in the signal chain. **Maybe** he meant intercept the wires going into the monsoon amp so you dont need line converters?

Again, I'd go with the system you already have outlined -- the guys here really know how to hook up these cars, whereas the guy at navone may or may not know anything about our turdly monsoon systems.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

guy from navrone sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

you can only learn from doing it yourself. you'll probably make some mistakes, but i think we all do that from time to time. you can install the PAC wherever you want, just make sure to not leave it banging around. if you do, it'll make a lot of unwanted noise. either tape it to something or set it on something. just don't let it fly around.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tuffluck
guy from navrone sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

you can only learn from doing it yourself. you'll probably make some mistakes, but i think we all do that from time to time. you can install the PAC wherever you want, just make sure to not leave it banging around. if you do, it'll make a lot of unwanted noise. either tape it to something or set it on something. just don't let it fly around.
just hook up the PAC line-out converter directly to the back of the head-unit's outputs. What I would suggest is using wire harnesses to make it all plug-and-play for the most part.
1. get this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-607 this replaces the factory connector into the radio, and allows you to "intercept" the speaker wires you need for the input into the PAC.
2. and this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-606 this allows you to plug into the plug that originally plugged into the radio. connect all the wires from the radio to the wires on this harness.
If you connect these two harnesses toghether, you are going to connect them wire to wire, except for the speaker wires which you need for the PAC. This way, you aren't cutting up the factory harness.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

If you are still looking for a system for your f-body I am selling the set up from mine, everything except the head unit. I have a 10JLW6.v2 in a subthump millhouse box. I have MB Quart Componet system for the doors (2" tweeter & 5" woofer w/ crossovers) I have MB Quart 6.5" coaxials for the sail panels. I have a soundstream rubicon 550 5-channel amp to push all of the speakers. I have a rear amp rack from subthump. I have a set of tweeter pods (mounts behind side view mirrors) I was selling the whole system for $900. but since its the holiday season I may let the system go cheaper make me an offer if your interested. I spent over 1600 on this system. The amp alone is 600 bux. e-mail me at kennard@bbsarch.com.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the offer, i have over 600 in brand new stuff in my spare room, i am so pissed. i am going to tyler and have it professionally installed, they put in my viper alarm so they should be able to handle this.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

MAD PROPS TO SNOOTCH!!!!!!!!!!!
just got everything done today and it sounds so awsome, especially at high volume, good advice and thanks so much !!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Your welcome! see if you san get a camera and snap some pics...
Old 02-01-2005, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

well, i would but since it is still the stock HU and the spkrs are in teh doors, it will be just a stock appearance.

question though, teh shop quoted me 350 (for 2 10"'s or 250 for one) and a custom enclosure installed? the woofers are kicker comp vl 10's, punch P2's or diamond audio's , my choice above price, i cant help but think i can buy em cheaper on e bay and get a box from a local shop and just wire it up, what do ya think?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Doesn't seem like a bad price, considering it's a custom enclosure. A custom enclosure:
A> Will sound better than a "pre-made" box
B> Will definately look better
C> Is made for the specifis woofer(s)
D> are built better

The only pro's for a pre-made box that I can think of, is that they are easily removeable, and/or mobile.

Go with the custom box for the extra $$, and you will be happier in the long run.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

i hear ya on the quality deal, i would much rather have it. i think i only need 1 10" not 2. of those i listed, is 1 really any better than the other. i look (listen really) for quality of teh bass and not teh loudness of it.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Could you post links to the specific model woofers that are in your price range?
Old 02-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Props to ya Snootch! I am replacing my entire system but your posts were good reading and some lessons learned. It's people like you that make this place what it is!
Old 02-03-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Well, your welcome!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

i wish i knew the model #'s, he did not give me those. i will have to call him or something. thanks alot for your help, def. saved me some $