Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need some speaker advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some speaker advice

Car originally came with the Monsoon setup, which I didn't like, so I swapped it out with the following:

MTX Thunder 4200X amp
Bouston Acoustics RX67 speakers (in doors and back seat speaker locations)
Kenwood KDC-MPV619 MP3 deck

Here's the problem. Since I've had this setup (about three years+), I've blown at least three sets of speakers in the rear. Some of the stuff I listen to is from live recordings where the recording level wasn't great, so I have to crank it up. Plus, there are times where I just like to crank it up anyway.

I'm not very experienced with stereo stuff (I had the system installed), so I don't know if something is wired wrong or if I'm using the "wrong" (i.e. can't take the power) speakers for my amp. Since I'm a novice at this, please excuse any useless information I throw out here:

The amp specs are:
RMS Power measured at 12.5 Volts DC:
25 Watts x 4 into a 4 Ohm load with less than 0.1% Thd+N
50 Watts x 4 into a 2 Ohm load with less than 0.3% Thd+N
100 Watts bridged x 2 into a 4 Ohm load with less than 0.3% Thd+N

Dynamic Power (IHF-202 Std) measured at 14.4 Volts DC
55 Watts x 4 into a 4 Ohm load
100 Watts x 4 into a 2 Ohm load
200 Watts bridged x 2 into a 4 Ohm load

Speaker specs are:
Recommended Amplified Power: 12-160 watts
Nominal impedence: 4 ohms

Head unit specs are:
Operating voltage: 14.4V
Max output power: 50Wx4
Full bandwidth power: 22Wx4

Any suggestions? I hate to keep buying new speakers every year or two.

Thanks

-Mike
Old 11-14-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You nailed the problem with the bad recording and turning the volume up. The #1 reason speakers fail is from distortion. You also might want to consider how you are using your system. You don't list a sub. If you are trying to produce to much bass from the system you have, that could be the reason for the speakers blowing themselves out. If you want bass, buy a sub. You can't fool physics by making a 6 1/2' speaker produce a freq it cannot handle.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should set the high-pass setting on the amp to arund 80-100hz. This will filter it about right.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

that amp isn't doing much either. since car's usually have about 13.4 volts, you are getting about 40 rms to a speaker, which isn't much. and yeah, a sub is important if you are wanting bass.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I've been thinking of getting a small sub, to take some of the low-end strain off the speakers. I didn't like to Monsoon because it had lots of bass, but wasn't very "alive" to my ears, but was instead sort of distant and muted on the mids and highs. These speakers were much more responsive in the highs and mids, which I liked, but they are an older model, and aren't made any more. Judging by some of the other posts in this category, I take it the Alpine SPS-170A's are good speakers. Any recommendations on a good (SMALL) sub to go with these?

Thanks!

-Mike
Old 11-15-2004, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

What Price range and what type of music do you mostly listen to? I take it that you are into sound quality. If that's the case a 10" in the drivers side well will be plenty. Just let me know and I'll help with the selection.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Richiec77
What Price range and what type of music do you mostly listen to? I take it that you are into sound quality. If that's the case a 10" in the drivers side well will be plenty. Just let me know and I'll help with the selection.
I'm much more about sound quality than volume. The type of music is sort of a loaded question for me. I listen mostly to rock (Rush, Van Halen, etc.), but I am a trumpet teacher, so jazz and classical are also frequent. The tough one is drum corps. These are live recordings in football stadiums of...for argument's sake let's call them marching bands on steroids. Lots of percussion, which is killer on the low ends of speaker systems. I'm not looking to go overboard, and price is a factor. After dropping nearly $600 last month in shocks and springs, plus with Christmas and a wedding anniversary coming up, the wife would not look to kindly on me dropping serious cash on stereo gear right now.

Thanks

-Mike
Old 11-15-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

10" sub in the drivers side. Sealed Enclosure. The 10" Infinity Kappa Perfect would be a good choice. They are on sale at Crutchfield for $150. Subthumphttp://www.subthump.com/index.html
Would be a good choice for the enclosure.

The Bostons are really weak in the Mid-bass. Might try looking around and take a listne to some other brands. You said you are only blowing out the rear speakers. Try the XTC baffles for the rear speakers. Set the high-pass to around 100hz for the front and rears, and the low pass to 80-100hz for the sub.