Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to wire sub and amp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to wire sub and amp?

I just got my stealth box. I have a Rockford Fosgate p5002 amp and one P3 10" sub with dual voice coil. What would be the best way to wire the speaker since I dont have a mono amp?
Old 12-30-2004, 04:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

if the amp isn't 2 ohm stable, then you should buy a sub that is stable at 4 ohms, which is probably the ohm rating that will allow your amp to push it's max power. or just go buy a 2 ohm stable amp.

your amp might be capable of pushing 2 ohms by 2 channels, but at a much lower power than what it can push at 4 ohms on one channel. therefore, you could run it at 2 ohms, but you wouldn't be getting the most out of your amp, or you could run the sub by only using one set of the dual voice coils, thus getting only half the performance out of your sub.

or you could just go buy a suitable amp/sub for the application and call it a day. your choice; i'd recommend the latter option. having incompatable equipment is about the worst thing you can do.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2QKTA
I just got my stealth box. I have a Rockford Fosgate p5002 amp and one P3 10" sub with dual voice coil. What would be the best way to wire the speaker since I dont have a mono amp?

are they dual 2 ohm? dual 4 ohm?

the amp does 500watts rms at 4 ohm in bridged mode.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...h%20Amplifiers

If you have the dual 4 ohm speaker, you need to return it.

It has to be the the dual 2 ohm version to work at the amps maximum potential. This is assuming you have only one. You will wire the speaker coils in series to give you a 2+2=4 ohm rating.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

It is a dual 4ohm. I am planning on getting the passenger side thump box in a couple of months. Did I order the wrong speaker?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes.

you could just hook up one voice coil if you wanted it to work, but you would not be getting all out of the sub whatsoever.

MO, learn impedences before you order stuff. i know it's too late for that, and i'm not trying to be a jackass, but it's something you need to know if you want to get into the audio stuff.

try www.fbodyaudio.com
Old 12-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

I thought that when you wire a dual 4ohm speaker in PARALLEL the impediance gets divided by two. Therefore creating a 2ohm load. I read the specs on my amp and it says 250 x 2 and 2ohms. So when I hook up the other sub couple months from now, I will get the whole 500watts out of it.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought that when you wire a dual 4ohm speaker in PARALLEL the impediance gets divided by two. Therefore creating a 2ohm load. I read the specs on my amp and it says 250 x 2 and 2ohms. So when I hook up the other sub couple months from now, I will get the whole 500watts out of it.
You are correct. Just didn't mention the second sub right away.

And here's a nice little link for ya to read up on general and f-body related car audio.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

you got it:

the rule is:

4 * 4=16
---------- so 16/8=2
4+4=8

make sure you get the other speaker identical. If you leave it at 2 ohms, you could damage the amp, the amp is rated at 4 ohm at 5watts. I would leave it in series to show an 8 ohm load for now. That should push about 250 watts rms to the sub. Once you get the other. you could put that speaker in series than wire the two 8 ohm loads in parallel to produce the 4 ohm you need for your amp.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by firebirdude
You are correct. Just didn't mention the second sub right away.

And here's a nice little link for ya to read up on general and f-body related car audio.
yes, he forgot to mention the second sub.

that's a real nice link you have their, very useful information, no need to search for anything again. All the information is now in one place. Thanks
Old 12-31-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...7&image=Submit

option #2 this is how i have my 10" dvc rockford sub wired. works great, really hits hard. when you get the 2nd sub, provided it is the same one you can do the second option here,

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...1&image=Submit

should work. unless you want to try a different amp/sub combo.