Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best way to secure a stereo system.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to secure a stereo system.

I recently acquired a nice system, and I live in an area and go to a school where the thievery of this kind of equipment is absolutely rampant. Does anyone have any tips on where/how to mount the amp and subs so that it will be extremely, extraordinarily difficult to remove said system? I have a Viper alarm (currently needs repairing) but I would like a second assurance. I was thinking some sort of bolting to the frame. Anyone have any experience with something like this? My car is a 98 Z28.

Justin
Old 01-30-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Get a gun..........
Old 02-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Ttt...
Old 02-02-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

i suggest everything in the T-top well. The amp can be mounted to the right plastic area or the back inside with the mounting kit from subthump? the subs can be put in the well. In there, if you close the flap thing, it will all be hidden.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Also use special screws. They have a round head with two holes on top. They are like drywall screws. I forget what they are called.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
i suggest everything in the T-top well. The amp can be mounted to the right plastic area or the back inside with the mounting kit from subthump? the subs can be put in the well. In there, if you close the flap thing, it will all be hidden.

If that was the case, all hed need is some window tint. but hes looking to SECURE his system down. what good will it do if the suspect hears him coming down the road, he will know hes got a system, seeing it is another matter.

Drywall screws.........hmm theres an idea. I had a friend who made brackets out of aluminum and bolted them to his car. u can do this and tac weld some of the contacts if u want to be sure. EITHER way if someone wants ur system bad enough, they will take it.

Its time u look into a 2 way alarm with a proximity sensor. This way ull be contacted when ur alarm goes off. The only way around a prox sensor would be if the suspect crept up to ur car slower than a mustang can take off from a stop.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraz
Its time u look into a 2 way alarm with a proximity sensor. This way ull be contacted when ur alarm goes off. The only way around a prox sensor would be if the suspect crept up to ur car slower than a mustang can take off from a stop.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

If they get mad when they can't steal your system what's stopping them from taking your car???
Old 02-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

or just trashing it?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

put it in the rear well so it isn't visible, get a deck that has a removable faceplate, and turn your damn music down far before you get anywhere near where you are going to park it. this is securing it by being smart. if no one hears the music, they aren't going to suspect anything unless they walk by your car, and if it's hidden, then they probably can't see anything inside that they will immediately want to steal.

i personally believe car alarms are useless seeing as i had one before and my deck was stolen out of my last car in the middle of a parking lot in the middle of the day with the alarm going off. the only time i think an alarm is good is when you have a pager on it, you are close by, and you are a really huge and brave guy. otherwise, i think they are mostly a waste of money.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

definatly use different screw for mounting the subs, like use hex screw and maybe square head screw just unusal ones that u cant get off with a regualr phillips or flat head screw driver.

also b 4 u put the subs in the box, bolt the box to the car from the inside of the box, make sure u use a big washer on the inside though, this way u have more surface area on the wood holding it down , it will be almost impossible for someone to rip it out.

as for the amps try hiding under your seats, or make a false floor and put them in there, but make sure they are ventilated to otherwise they will get real hot.

if u decide to mout them to the box use a few different screw like i said for the subs b 4.

and finally get your self a real good alarm, goto pepboys and spend $40 on those red plastic airhorns and put those in instead of your siren.

very loud, gets everyones attention and by far the best $40 you will ever spend.

goodluck
Old 02-03-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any $15 screwdriver toolkit from your local home improvement store has Flats, Hex, Torx, Phillips, and Square drive tips in it.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nobody is going to be carrying special tipped screwdrivers with them. That is unless they know you. Maybe someone you thought was your friend and let them listen to your system? Maybe they'll tip off a friend and tell them to bring that special screwdriver. It's possible. Or maybe they'll have on a whole tool belt? Socket set, both 1/4" and 1/2" drive. Tape measure. Hammer and nails (galvanized of course). And the all mightly roll of duct tape. Many tools always makes for a quick and undetected escape. Ok maybe not.

Just use the oddest screws you can find. Don't stress over it. Even regular hex screw would easily double the amount of time it takes to remove your subs. You could also make a custom box that's hard as hell or impossible to remove from the car. The fiberglass box I have would take 2 large men hours to remove in one piece. And probably an hour to cut into multiple pieces. Next, I once saw a picture where a guy just secured two U-shaped brackets on each side of his box. He then slid a long steel bar across the front of his box over the subs. Threw a lock on each end and bam. Unless the theives are walking through the parking lot with a large pair of bolt cutters it's hopeless. And no, car thieves don't carry bolt cutters. Maybe if you're breaking into a shed or stealing a bike. But not breaking into a car. And lastly remember out of sight, out of mind. If I look through your rear glass and see two amps and a pair of 12"s...... hmmmm..... that stuff looks expensive. I could probably trade all that for a pound of weed. Get what I'm saying?

Last edited by firebirdude; 02-04-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never Pound where you park. It just attracts attention.

What I would do is make it hard to remove. People have already covered this. ALSO go with what sexyvic1 said. Get air horns. ONLY mount them inside the car. If a thief breaks in it will scare the **** out of him and he'll panic. I did this on my Regal, and use to set the alarm with my friends inside because I told them not to play the system loud, but they always wanted to.

Imagine your buddies holding their ears crying out "TURN IT OFFFFFFF TURN IT OFFFF"

Mount a set behind the glove box area nad a second set where the far back speakers are. That should be a determination for them to get the hell away. And yes people will look. And the Thieves will run. Most are pussies anyways.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

sometimes i wonder if it'd be cheaper to just leave the doors unlocked all the time. think about it - how many people without the intention to steal something inside your car actually attempt to open your car door? have you ever thought about trying to open a random car door in a parking lot for the hell of it? it scares the **** out of me to think about it!

point is, if someone wants something in your car, they're going to get it or fail trying. if your doors are locked, they're going to bust out some glass, rear/front windshield, and it will then probably be more expensive to replace the glass than the stereo stuff. also my window got shifted out of alignment when my deck was taken out of my last camaro. f-body windows meet at rubber, not at metal, so it's real easy to get your fingers in between the window and weatherstripping and then pry the window back on an fbody door. once that's done, the interior is accessible and the window is knocked out of alignment.

moral of the story: paint your orange door unlock buttons black and leave the doors unlocked. i don't do this, i'm just saying it might be the smarter move, even as silly as it sounds
Old 02-04-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Second Club

Get a 2 way alarm, leave doors unlocked so they don't damage **** and just set off the alarm. Turn it down before you get to where you are going and keep it out of site. Oh yeah and pray. If they are pros just be prepared for the day the **** is gone and replace it with cheap stuff. I've had plenty stolen myself.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Damn reading this thread makes me want to install an AM radio with one 4" cone speaker.

Leaving the doors open does prevent broken windows but it also let's the kids/amateurs in to make thier attempt.

I like the idea of the horns INSIDE the car as who the hell would sit there trying to take a stereo out with those blowing out your ear drums.

The whole idea is making it harder for them to get... the more time it takes, the more they get nervous and make mistakes or might get caught.

As has been said, if they really want it, consider it gone.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf
I like the idea of the horns INSIDE the car as who the hell would sit there trying to take a stereo out with those blowing out your ear drums.
This has been discussed many-a-times on various car audio boards. End result, the thief could sue your a$$ for causing him to go deaf. Believe it or not....
Old 02-05-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firebirdude
This has been discussed many-a-times on various car audio boards. End result, the thief could sue your a$$ for causing him to go deaf. Believe it or not....

WTF????????????????? This is the sam thing like the time a guy broke into a house in CA (I believe). The owner was a martial arts instructor. Basically F*UCKED him up. Then the guy sued him. What the hell.

At least here in Texas the law is simple and truely protects the Home owner. On your Property, you have all right to do whatever.