Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Upgrade The Alternator Wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Upgrade The Alternator Wire

For Most prople they overlook the alternator out put wire as an upgrade. If you system NEEDS 4ga put 4ga from the slternator to the battery. If it used 8ga. Put 8ga. and so on.

Think about it like this: A normal car battery has a high resistance. It doesn't like to give up output. So they path of least resistance is the alternator. You are pulling all that amprages through a small 8 ga wire. Also you are fighting with the battery charging and all accesories. Go at least with the same size as you system wiring.

Last edited by Richiec77; 02-04-2005 at 01:41 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-04-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I'm running double-ought wire to my stereo, I should run double-ought from the stock alt? LOL! Just kidding man. As long as alternator output does not exceed the amperage rating of the gauge wire you are using, you're fine.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Makes sense and is often overlooked!
Old 02-04-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firebirdude
So if I'm running double-ought wire to my stereo, I should run double-ought from the stock alt? LOL! Just kidding man. As long as alternator output does not exceed the amperage rating of the gauge wire you are using, you're fine.
Good explination. I gues I should have said that for the common stereo system you should up grade. I think stock is only 8ga or 6ga, but I'll double check. I mean actually check.

Damn 2/0. What the hell are you using. I didn't see this used until we did my old shop truck. (8 memphis mojo amps parralell bridged. 4 LVS 15") roughly 5600-6000watts per sub.

Last edited by Richiec77; 02-04-2005 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice looking install firebirdude. You would need atleast 2ga.
I'm curious about the subs and components. Never saw them before. That FS and VAS are nice's. XMAX is beutiful. What is the "Q" of the sub. From what the vas and fs look like it should be a very nice linear sub with Awesome lowend extension. PM me with some finer detail. I love my Dyna's but those look sweet.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

i always say don't use anything less than 4 gauge, and hell if u can afford it throw in the 0 gauge.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had some extra 1/0awg around, so I used that for my H/O alt. Here's a link to the subs. http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco...ire_tumult_15/
Adire doesn't have them on their website anymore. The components are still there though. www.adireaudio.com
Old 02-06-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like those subs. Look really good on paper. Seem to run way low. Impressed by everything they have by the way. Some of the Best in the business have given them BIG thumbs up. Their go really low and have a great off-axis response. I'm piecing together a system for my buddies truck and I pretty much sold on these all the way around.

1 component set for both doors, 8" Koda's each door. 1 Tempest 15 ported downward firing (loaded) for the center consol.

Thanks for the heads up man. You were a BIG HELP in finding thse for me. I have to hear them to be true blown away, but I think I'm going to be impressed.