Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what the hell is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the hell is going on?

Check this out, well my power seats and rear defogger stopped working on sunday so I figured I blew a fuse or something. Didnt get around to it till Tuesday and found that the breaker for the seats and defogger was so hot I couldnt even touch it. I had to take it out with plyers(spelling), noticed that one of the tabs was pushed in so I threw it away. Put in a new breaker this morning and walla everything works. So I start driving down the street when I start smelling something, I look down and smoke is pouring out of the back of the center console. I immediately pull over and pull out the new breaker, which I shouldnt have done with my bare hand cuz that mother was hot. Any way once I pulled it out smoking stopped. What the hell is going on? Has anybody else had a problem like this?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm suprised the breaker didn't do it's job. Either way you have a faulty circuit, Bad seat Motor, or bad defroster. You are going to need to chase the wiring to find shorts or other problems. With smoke, their is deffinitly now burned wiring.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

should be easy to spot with burned wire.
You smoke was coming out of the back of the center console? Have you had the center console out lately? If so, maybe you screwed it back down and ran a screw through one of the wires under it.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

No I havent taken it out. And the smoke was coming out of the front of the center console, by the radio and all that stuff.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ever worked back in there? Maybe you pinched a wire like shouldaboughttheZ (WTF??? longest name?) said.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Ever worked back in there? Maybe you pinched a wire like shouldaboughttheZ (WTF??? longest name?) said.
Its what I tell all those V6 guys wishing they should have gotten the Z model.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
Its what I tell all those V6 guys wishing they should have gotten the Z model.

Man that's funny.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Similar problem,
When I turn on my rear defrost it works for maybe a couple minutes, then it stops working and the light in the switch turns off, and the power seat controls stop working. After about ten minutes (or if I turn the car off and back on) the seat works again and the defrost switch responds again. No smoke... but it does worry me.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

bump, plus some extra characters to make a valid submission
Old 02-26-2005, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

Well I ended up just taking it in to the dealer cuz I still have warranty. They said it was a short in one of the motors in the passanger seat causing the breaker to ground out.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

My breaker gets real hot too. When you noticed the smoke did your defroster or seats work? When I use my defroster it will work for a few min. but then it will cut off and nothing will work. If I leave everything alone nothing will work for a while but if I push the button like I'm turning off the defroster then it will start working again after a few seconds. I've replaced the breaker and it still does the same thing but it takes longer to go out. I think my defroster is messed up but the dealer never finds anything wrong.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

After it started to smoke I immediately took out the breaker and never put it back in. I took it to the dealer the next day.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
My breaker gets real hot too. When you noticed the smoke did your defroster or seats work? When I use my defroster it will work for a few min. but then it will cut off and nothing will work. If I leave everything alone nothing will work for a while but if I push the button like I'm turning off the defroster then it will start working again after a few seconds. I've replaced the breaker and it still does the same thing but it takes longer to go out. I think my defroster is messed up but the dealer never finds anything wrong.

Sounds like you have the same problem...a shorted wire somewhere.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
Replace your 30amp breaker with a good old 30 fuse. This fix was posted in another thread, worked for many people. I tried it and haven't had any problems for a solid week. Although someone warned against running your seat to the stops since this trips the breaker (or after swapping in a fuse it will just blow the fuse). Good luck.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Turns out they are wired on the same fuse.

Check this thread out ...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/281818-firehawk-defogger-acting-up.html