Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sail panel 6w0 encloser idea.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sail panel 6w0 encloser idea.

I was thinking of makig a tubular encloser inside the sail panel for my 6w0's.

Using bendable sheet metal to make a tublar encloser that is sealed to the car behind where the speaker goes in(open on one end sealed to the vehicle so the speaker slides into the front of it,back of tube sealed with sheet metal and the hole thing sealed with liquid nails or something. Then coat the hole inside with dynamat. Does anyone know the airspace required for these speakers and what size(measurments this thing would have to be and still fit in there?) If not I might just make it from the speaker to the back wall and about 1 inch bigg around than the speaker. Any ideas here, just a thought?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

www.jlaudio.com
Look under W0 and select 6W0. There is a PDF spec sheet you can download and look at it. Gives you both sealed and ported dimensions.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. So you are going to make a tube to put into the hole to create a sealed chamber?

Use some Thick RV Or Camper top Foam to make the seal against the body. You are going to also want to try to roll the end or somehow keep it from cutting into the foam or you would be replacing it often.

Better yet, Get it rolled into shape. Then have the back-end welded shut with a simple plate. That would seal it completely and make it air tight. Then put the camper foam on the back side to keep it from rattling against the body, and still dampen it and RTV the seams.

To get it welded shouldn't cost much. Any muffler shop can do it.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Default missed it

Damn, I was on the JL website earlier I guess i missed it, Thank you. This is going to be interesting to make. Does not seem to bad though I guess. They say it needs 0.175 feet of air space. with a 12"x7.25"x7" box(sealed). That is with 3/4" MDF so with the sheet metal I would think I could take 1/2" from all measurments(sice that is measured from the outside of the box). Now since something 11.50" flat is still 11.50 inches rolled up an so on this shouldn't be to bad.(I know the sound characteristics in a round tube is different from a square box but for lack of room that would be my best bet. This thing would actually turn out more oval than round actually. So how deep is it beind the speaker in the sail panel(wall-wall) anyone know. I havn't looked inside there yet, so I don't know?

The back plate will be cut to fit directly onto the back of the oval and sealed from the inside(this might be a little tricky since the tube will have to be assembled inside the sail panel, do to being larger than the speaker openeing. I will probrablt mount it the the sail panel first(probrably with a nice thick squishy seal and some liquid nail(or something that won't eat the foam seal) then put the other piece in roll it up and put it together(probrably have to pre drill holes in the sheet metal with small bolts liquid nailed from the outiside, match the with the other predrilled holes an put nuts and washers on them since there would be no way to put a bolt through after it was rolled up and in place) Now with the force from the seal it should be holding itself in place. seal everything up and dynomat. of course will also need a sealed up hole for the speaker wires. Wow that was a lot of typing.
This sounds like it should work and shouldn't be to hard(in theory) but we all know how that easy in theory stuff always turns out.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

There is a metal plate behind the factory sub that is about 2.5"s in. Just enough for the factory sub to fit. But behind that plate is alot more room, you will need to cut that plate to get the tube in there. Will try to post a pic of it tomorrow as I will be starting my audiobahn sub install tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

dont do it. too many rattles from the sail panel. its gonna bug you and its gonna be impossilble to deaden it all. your better off investing your money on either, better midbasses in the doors or better subs. thats the setup im gonna go with this spring.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need to find someone close with a monsoon system. I don't have one so I'm alwasys at a loss of what is there.

This should be interesting. I'm curious now.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Default metal plate

Cool, I didn't know that was there, guess im gonna have to wait on starting the measurments untill I start taking everything apart. This probrably won't be done untill mid march, I will definitly post results and any pictures I take.

"Rattles"
I don't think I will have any rattles. The inside of the sail panel will by dynamated as well as the inside and probrably the ouside of the metal encloser.. A sub put straight into the sail panel would cause rattling i'm sure, but with the dynamated inside of the panels and the speaker beiing inside a dynamated encloser, shouldn't rattle at all. If it does and I see no reason why it would have any, I will track down the rattles and stop them, had to do some of that after putting on my true duals.