Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where To Mount Component Crossovers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005 | 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Where To Mount Component Crossovers?

Where do you mount them? As of now I have them on the back of my amp rack base, but need a little more room to store my t-tops in the slot. Once they fit in there, then I can build my cover.

They MB Quart Crossovers and measure about 4" x 6". Thanks!!

Old 03-09-2005 | 10:18 AM
Launching!

I mounted mine in the spare tire well. Involves running a bit more wire but they are at least out of the way.
Old 03-09-2005 | 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put mine behind the kickpanels. It was a tight fit but there are pockets on the passenger and driver side that fit them perfectly. It was a PITA to install the speaker wire though.
Old 03-09-2005 | 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf
I mounted mine in the spare tire well. Involves running a bit more wire but they are at least out of the way.
Good idea, thanks!
How'd you mount them in there? Any pics, by chance? Just trying to picture it. Do you have your spare as well?

This is definitely possible as I have extra wire and I also have 2 pairs of wire coming from each speaker all the way to the rear. This could definitely work as long as I have space for 'em...

Any other suggestions?

A
Old 03-09-2005 | 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
I put mine behind the kickpanels. It was a tight fit but there are pockets on the passenger and driver side that fit them perfectly. It was a PITA to install the speaker wire though.
I've seen people do that as well and would work on the front, but I have have the same componets in the sail panels in the rear, so I'd need a place for them too. Sorry should have explained that too. Kinda seems like there would be room there, but it'd be tight and trial & error.
Old 03-09-2005 | 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh, didn't realize you were running rear stage also. There is actually quite a bit of room beneath the sail panel speakers, definitely enough for crossovers. It wouldn't take but a minute or 2 to find a good spot and stick them down with 3M tape.

Russell
Old 03-09-2005 | 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I should have pointed it out.

I'll have to do something. I'll need to pull some wire out to see how much I have and go from there. I'm thinking sail panels would be the best bet since I can divide the crossovers up on each side..

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2005 | 01:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Good idea, thanks!
How'd you mount them in there? Any pics, by chance? Just trying to picture it. Do you have your spare as well?

This is definitely possible as I have extra wire and I also have 2 pairs of wire coming from each speaker all the way to the rear. This could definitely work as long as I have space for 'em...

Any other suggestions?

A
There is plenty of room for the x-overs, the spare tire AND my amp. My setup is stealth so I have my RF sub amp mounted inside the spare tire wheel which I put in backwards. It will take me an extra five minutes to get the spare out but better than not having one!

Once you remove the old Monsoon amp you should have plenty of room for your x-overs and more.

Once the weather here clears up and I get a chance, I'll take a snap for ya.
Old 03-09-2005 | 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

infinite, your setup looks good! how much power is going to those 3 subs? i would mount the xovers right underneath the kick panel at the very front (you know, where the hood release button is). i think you'd have plenty of room. i did.
Old 03-09-2005 | 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tuffluck,

He's running rear components as well so has a total of 4 crossovers. No way to fit all that up front. Under the rear sails would be great as it is easy to get to for diagnosis and there is a bunch of room. 2 crossovers per side and you are good to go.
Old 03-09-2005 | 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have my rear xovers located left side rear well (where the factory CD player would normally be), and then gutted the rear speakers altogether and placed my Q xovers in those locations.

See webpage for ideas (pg 2-3) --- They do eat up space, don't they?
Old 03-10-2005 | 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Yeah, I should have pointed it out.

I'll have to do something. I'll need to pull some wire out to see how much I have and go from there. I'm thinking sail panels would be the best bet since I can divide the crossovers up on each side..

Thanks!

I was about to suggest that
Old 03-10-2005 | 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
I have my rear xovers located left side rear well (where the factory CD player would normally be), and then gutted the rear speakers altogether and placed my Q xovers in those locations.

See webpage for ideas (pg 2-3) --- They do eat up space, don't they?
No can do for where the stock changer was, got my aftermarket MP3 changer in that spot. But, as another option, I may be able to mount them underneath the rear panels. Those speakers are unplugged anyways and I know there's room. Possibly for all 4.

Heck yeah that take up LOTS of space, biggest crossevers I've ever seen. It looks like the 05 models are smaller though.
Old 03-10-2005 | 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

i know you got 4, but i just want to show off where i got mine.

Old 03-10-2005 | 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

btw, nice install! i always wondered about the van goghs, very sharp lookin amps. how do they perform?
Old 03-10-2005 | 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badhoopty
btw, nice install! i always wondered about the van goghs, very sharp lookin amps. how do they perform?
Thanks, but the base looks butt ugly. When I'm done with the cover, it should look pretty sharp. Fiberglassing it.

The amps are pretty good. Lots of tuning ablities, with high and low pass crossovers both going from 30hz all the way up to 5Khz. Both are 320.4's and 4 channels. Only bad part is they can't handle a 2ohm load, so one day I'll get a 3rd amp just for the subs... Then put the 4 channels on all my components... Can't wait!
Old 03-10-2005 | 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badhoopty
i know you got 4, but i just want to show off where i got mine.

That's slick! Wish I had room!
Old 03-11-2005 | 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

first off that is a nice setup good job.

ok the box with the 3 subs, is that a enclosure or does it use the well as the enclosure? if it doesn't use the well then just drop the crossovers into there.
Old 03-14-2005 | 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sexyvic1
first off that is a nice setup good job.

ok the box with the 3 subs, is that a enclosure or does it use the well as the enclosure? if it doesn't use the well then just drop the crossovers into there.

Thanks!

Yep it's a divided enclosure. I thought about putting them under there and as they would fit, I want to keep that space open for my sub amp which I'll have at some point. Not sure on the size of it, but I'd like to keep it there and not have to move the cross overs.. I'd love to find a place to show them all off, since they're kinda cool looking (and I can see if I'm clipping the amp if the bulbs are glowing)... But I'll end up having to hide them some where..
Old 03-14-2005 | 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're not using sail panel speakers, you can cut up the sail panel speaker opening and fiberglass an enclosure underneath the sail panels for the crossovers. Then just use some plexiglass to cover it all up. It would be easy to do and would look killer.

Something similar to this:
http://www.fbodyaudio.com/albums/4thgens/aaf_001.jpg