Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is my stock 12-disc CD changer dead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my stock 12-disc CD changer dead?

I have a 98 Camaro with the stock monsoon system, including the 12-disc changer. It use to play store-bought and burned CD's OK, but in the last 6 months or so it seems that after playing a CD (store-bought or burnt, doesn't matter which) and shutting the car off, the next time out the CD's need to be pulled out and re-seated. When it does work, it also doesn't like ending a burnt CD and going to the next CD, as this seems to jam it up. Is this CD changer on it's last legs, or was it not meant to play burnt CD's? Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.

P.S. If this changer is DOA, any hints where to buy a bolt in replacement (using stock wires) would be most appreciated!
Old 03-11-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

it sounds like it is going. the best place would prolly be ebay, or one of these boards. When i actually used the stock changer, it had no problem playing burnt cds. As for looking for a cheap after market changer, you can look at a Neo changer. They play mps and hook up to factory wires. However, i had trouble when installing these in some cars. They sometimes do not work. Good luck
Old 03-13-2005, 02:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Try fuji cdrs. They use a blue dye that is alot easier for aftermarket stuff to read. My old car wouldnt read green or light yellow cdrs....only fujis