Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I just cant decide!!! HELP ME OUT HERE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I just cant decide!!! HELP ME OUT HERE!!

I just cant decide here... help me out.

I am leaning between these 2 options.

Option 1: Goodbye Monsoon... hello new everything... deck, MB Q comps, Soundstream 5 channel Tarantula amp or 98' PPI PC amp(s), decent small box SQ oriented(not dedicated) sub. Cheap rear fill or just all the 5 channel power bridged to the MBs and let the aftermarket deck power the rear fill.

Option 2: Monsoon with the Alpine upgrade or similar MB Q Reference coax speakers in teh front. Single SoundStream or PPI PC amp pushing the same 12" sub as above.

What I want and what I listen to...

I love music ,but, I'm not sure I feel like dropping a $1000+ into a system again. I am ALMOST content with the Monsoon system besides the fact you cant really turn it up loud and it has NO LOW END at all.

I feel as if Option 2, if people say it really is an improved difference, would almost be the choice for me... after all $1000 is almost a 3rd of a Procharger

I listen to EVERYTHING but when cruisin the town I sometimes like to pop in a trance/techno or dance style cd and let the highs scream and the lows kick a little. Such as Darude- Sandstorm or even better Darude- Feel the Beat

That is the time my sound matters most. For everything else I listen to.. stock monsoon is near "OK" But like I said... $1000+ couild be put to other wonderful things.

Thanks a lot guys for putting up with me lurking in the sound forum... its been a long time. And yeah, back in 98,99,2000 I use to compete in IASCA and then dB Drag so I'm not even a stereo newb...

Thanks for all the help guys/gals...

Brandon
Old 03-15-2005, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

If you are almost content with your setup, then I would suggest getting a 10 or 12" sub (I have a couple Polk GNX104's) and a nice amp (I have a USX 600d to power both, but you might want a smaller model).

Then put some components in your doors (Infinity's are a good choice).

As far as a head unit goes, it depends on if you want to amp your speakers later on... if so, I'd suggest the Alpine CDA-9847. If not, go with the Alpine CDA-9833, as it has 25Wx4, 60W peak. Both have front/rear/sub preamp outputs, 105dB StN ratio, and 9.3 dBf fm sensitivity.

I get my gear from thezeb.com and onlinecarstereo.com. Both have good prices and service. My 2 cents. Good luck. :roll:
Old 03-16-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Brandon

Your on the right track with the using PPI and MB Quart Q series. That is the absolute best IMO. For the staging to really come alive youll need to give them the power they want. I recommend getting rid of the monsoon and getting into some really good sound, even if it takes you a while.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Brandon

Your on the right track with the using PPI and MB Quart Q series. That is the absolute best IMO. For the staging to really come alive youll need to give them the power they want. I recommend getting rid of the monsoon and getting into some really good sound, even if it takes you a while.
yeah. know what you're doing before you start buying stuff though, or else you'll find yourself either really disappointed in the end, or constantly buying/selling stuff until you do figure out what it is that you're doing.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tuffluck
yeah. know what you're doing before you start buying stuff though, or else you'll find yourself either really disappointed in the end, or constantly buying/selling stuff until you do figure out what it is that you're doing.
Oh i definately know what I'm doing.. like I said I use to do this crap all over the midwest. I just dont know which route to take in the SS. I know the PPI and MB route will sound phenominal but I'm not sure its worth it to me anymore.

Are the people that did the "alpine mod" happy with the results? how about people that have HEARD someones car that has that "upgrade"?

If I do it at all I am doing it in one big order.(replace Monsoon) If I could only hear a car locally that has just swapped speakers and kept the monsoon it would help me a ton.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
Oh i definately know what I'm doing.. like I said I use to do this crap all over the midwest. I just dont know which route to take in the SS. I know the PPI and MB route will sound phenominal but I'm not sure its worth it to me anymore.

Are the people that did the "alpine mod" happy with the results? how about people that have HEARD someones car that has that "upgrade"?

If I do it at all I am doing it in one big order.(replace Monsoon) If I could only hear a car locally that has just swapped speakers and kept the monsoon it would help me a ton.
Usually its alot quieter because the components/coaxils that you replace will have higher resistance.

Have you actually heard the Q series from MB Quart?

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
I know the PPI and MB route will sound phenominal but I'm not sure its worth it to me anymore.
Only you can decide that for yourself
Old 03-21-2005, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

I have 2 sets of focal components. one set in the doors, the other set is where the old 6.5" mids used to be (back seat) with the tweeters mounted up front by the winshield on each side. With alpine receiver and amp, the mids and highs are great. Two 8" bazookas on a red orion hcca 250 amp top off the system. I did a complete rewire and bought everything off ebay for a huge discount. I am very happy with this setup.
There are many levels of quality and the price range varys from $1200 for a nice setup to $2500 for a real nice setup. Its very hard to spend money on a stereo system when that same money could better your ET'S