Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

milhouse boxes

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milhouse boxes

thinking about installing one in my 02 trans am that holds 2 fosgate 10"s. was wondering if anyone else has installed this type of box and if i could get some opinions? if it squeaks, rattles, or anything else? are swivel points strong enough to hold up the box? anything else you can provide i would be much grateful
thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had mine made locally for cheap, I needed something that wouldn't be stolen so my amp replaced my spare tire. No problems/sounds whatsoever from the box...I sure need some dynamat though, the panel between my tailights sounds like it's coming apart when it hits.
oh, yea in case you haven't visited...www.fbodyaudio.com may have more people with those

Last edited by skippytheloon; 03-29-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are talking about the box that replaces the cover flap on the rear deck?
I have one of these installed on my car, fits nicely and i got the amp rack to go along with it, the only problem was when i would accelerate hard, the box had a tendency to slide backwards and would slide off the swivel points...no damage was done to the box or interior, just had to put some straps on to hold it to the bolt for the rear seat belts...have pics if you want to see, email me
Old 03-30-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My installers did this: The prongs are held in the swivel grooves by miniature zip-ties running through little holes made in both sides of the groove. Guess that would have been worth mentioning.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

I have one that was made for the SS. It was great. I had no problems with it. it didn't rattle anything, didnt slide around or anything. I cant say enough good things about it....
Old 03-30-2005, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

I've had a Millhouse box in my 02 Z28 for 2 years running 2 JL audio 10s. Doesn't move around or rattle and sounds great, bass hits harder than ever, even better than in the dual box the JL audios came in. Now I'm thinking about selling the box and buying another one with the vinyl and z28 on it, I bought the regular carpeted one. Is simple to remove(takes 30 seconds, pull out fuse to amp, undo the speakers wires to box, and pull the box out of car).
Old 03-31-2005, 06:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Alot of people like them. I havent heard anyone complaining about squeaks. They remove quickly which can be a good thing from a racing stand point but also a bad thing from a stealing stand point. Just something to think about
Old 05-17-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Skippytheloon,

I too have the milhouse box that tends to slip out of the plastic grooves when in the "t-top" position (the only reason I would flip the box up). How were you able to get wire ties to keep them down? I am looking at my hinges and can't imagine this being done without cutting holes or something. Do you have pictures or descriptions on how this is done? I'd like to cruise with the t-tops off during the times when maximum boom is not as important as riding without the t-tops (it hits harder in the down position, not as hard in the up position but still better than nothing).

Any help in getting wire ties to keep the prongs in place will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was originally gonna get the millhouse box but I went with the sub thump t-top box triple 10 inch enclosure and it is TOP NOTCH to say the least. No squeaks or rattles at all and the t-top storage works very well too, holds both t-tops with no rattles at all. Plus, they cover it in nice synthetic leather/vinyl type material to match the charcoal grey interior. It looks a lot nicer than the milhouse box too, my buddy has one of the milhouse boxes and its really well built and looks nice but the t-top box looks like it was there from the factory. Plus you can mount your amp on the rear deck too which looks awesome. Just my opinion though, cant go wrong with either enclosure. If you would like a pic of my setup I can email you one.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

the only complaint i have is a noticable drop in output when it is flopped back. i've heard other people say they havent experienced it, but i sure do. mine also slides out of the grooves under w.o.t. when in flopped forward, but the zip tie idea mentioned above seems like an easy fix.

on the plus side, it is good looking, and you can take it out real easy. and they are made very sturdy.

if i had to do it all over again, i would get the 3 10" t-top box.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Old 05-18-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Already have the milhouse with a 12" JL Audio 12W3v2 powered by Kenwood KAC-8101D (400 watts RMS at 2 ohms). Extremely happy with the sound, but I notice mine hitting a bit harder when flipped down in the well, slightly less output when firing straight up to the glass.

I just want to have an idea on how to get the wire ties in place. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

subthump doesn't make Mill house boxes anymore
Old 05-19-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Yes I know Subthump does not make the Milhouse anymore (can't understand why). I got mine just before they were discontinued. I'm just trying to get an idea on how to install the wire ties. I assume I need to cut into the plastic somehow.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put a tiny hole on each side of the groove and run the zip tie through them, a small drill bit or sharp razor knife would do it. Here's a pic: .U. (draw a circle around the U and you have it)
Mine hits alot harder when folded down or "hidden".
Old 05-20-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
Mine hits alot harder when folded down or "hidden".
hmmm, i'm using 2 10's in the milhouse and 1 10 in a driver stealth and its the opposite for me. i wish it hit harder in the hidden position... it aint like i got no bass when its in stealth mode, it still hits, but i can notice that it dont have quite the slam as it does when the subs are shootin towards the glass.

i also got about 5 layers of deadening matte in the well area, maybe its too
dead back there or the combo of stealth and millhouse does something wacky in a particular freq range. i havent ran the milhouse for awhile and have done alot of tuning since so maybe if i were to put it back in it would sound different.

regardless, the milhouse is a nice setup. the fact you can take it out is just awesome, you dont have to commit 24/7 to having an extra 50 or 60 pounds in the trunk.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by badhoopty
hmmm, i'm using 2 10's in the milhouse and 1 10 in a driver stealth and its the opposite for me. i wish it hit harder in the hidden position... it aint like i got no bass when its in stealth mode, it still hits, but i can notice that it dont have quite the slam as it does when the subs are shootin towards the glass.

i also got about 5 layers of deadening matte in the well area, maybe its too
dead back there or the combo of stealth and millhouse does something wacky in a particular freq range. i havent ran the milhouse for awhile and have done alot of tuning since so maybe if i were to put it back in it would sound different.

regardless, the milhouse is a nice setup. the fact you can take it out is just awesome, you dont have to commit 24/7 to having an extra 50 or 60 pounds in the trunk.
You may be experiencing a slight "phase" problem. I recently solved a phase problem on my milhouse since I was able to hear more midbass with the sub firing up into the glass. In the down position was working against the rest of my system with the wires connected the same way. I just electronically reverse the phase flipped down, put it back to normal flipped up.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

For those who have bass loss when flipping the Millhouse box all the way back to use the area for t tops, I found if you get a 2X4 about 2 feet long and place it under the box it holds the box at a angle that points the same angle as the rear glass and bass doubles and sounds almost as good as fully closed. also it keeps the box from coming out of the grooves, they only come out of the grooves when it lays flat.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Any pics on the 2x4 idea? Believe it or not, I'm still trying to visualize the wire ties idea. I just want to do it right the first time. I don't want to be stuck buying new panels at $100 each.

Also, would the 2x4 idea hurt the vinyl on my box?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
Believe it or not, I'm still trying to visualize the wire ties idea.
You'd crap your pants if you saw what we're talking about...it's so simple. Wish my digicam....wait...lemme see something.

Quick Reply: milhouse boxes