Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Questions About Todays Remote Start Systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power runs on the out side of a conductor meaning on the outside of the strands of the wire. So you see in cars (and also higher end) thousands of strands of wire not just one solid piece of copper. the more stands the better and the less power drop over a long run. This is where the current vs. wire size comes in to play. Bigger amps have more current draw and say a 17ft power wire needs 4ga. ect..

I say this b/c 10ga is in the ignition harness b/c of the current that is there. Now you T-tap it and that is one vey small piece of metal cutin half of the wire and touching only a few wires. So the power in that wire goes from 10ga wire into a little piece of wire then into 10ga. Weekest point is the t-tap. And I have seen these come un taped.

I have been to dozens of classes at dealerships and soider heat srink or wheather pack connector is the only thing used.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, now I got where you were going with that. I do agree, and am well aware of that fact - wasn't sure the rest of the forum caught your drift though. And yeah, I *hate* t-taps, crimps, and 'squeeze-type' connectors - nothing but future problems. The shops that do those are the ones that also use fuse-taps. You know, the ones that spread the fuse terminals so wide that you can't get a blade fuse to make contact anymore? GRRR!!