Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Questions About Todays Remote Start Systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions About Todays Remote Start Systems

I have avoided an auto start system since they came out due to all the wires and splice connections involved. I just hate to see all that hacking in going on. Also the remotes back then were not too spiffy.
I have an 05 Z71, and still want one but need to know what is going on these days with the auto starts. I need an updated run down on the subject. Below are some of the questions I have but please fill in the blanks.

What kind of questions do I need to ask the dealer\installer about the install in order to feel he knows his stuff?
What brands do you folks like? I'll need all the long range I can get.
Will any work with my OE remote?
Will it have to interfere with my OE alarm?
What negetive side effects do they have these days?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Having installed quite a few remote-starts, I have found that the quality of the install is the same as any other mod a person does - it can be done 'right', or it can be done 'right now'. The shop I used to work for was the 'done right' type of place, and unfortunately I'm not sure if there are many of those left. I would definately not take my vehicle to any of those chain stores (hope I'm not offending anyone here), because they are typically 'under the gun' to get more cars done in less time.

I have integrated aftermarket systems with factory remotes, but it's not something that the average installer will do. This means that you either carry two remotes or abandon the original - or find someone that can do what you want done. This, like anything else in life, is one of those 'get what you pay for' things.

Range, again, will depend on the quality of the installation. I've been told by a customer that it worked from the top of the Sears Tower in Chicago, which he was pretty pleased about. Then again, if it doesn't work from inside the house or office, it's not worth it, is it? So, to answer all your questions, go to a store that specializes in the more high-end installs, not so much 'bling', but more 'sophisticated' if you will. That will get you the quality, reliability, honesty, and range that you need. Either that or pm me and c'mon down for a saturday.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Thank You,

I called a few places and they all want $300.00 for a Viper installed and when asked about the range they all say around 500 feet. The Viper site says 1/4 mile. Hmm?
I asked about how they splice in and they said a stripper separates the insulation and they solder, and on larger wires the use a "T" connector?

What say you to this? And where are you located?
Old 04-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I would tend to agree with the installers - 500 feet is more likely than a quarter mile. Viper is selling on their site and may be a little optimistic (specifying range under optimum conditions) whereas the installer doesn't want you coming back complaining that the range isn't enough so he tells you a more realistic distance. Range is affected by many things but the most important is obstructions. You can get much greater range "line of site" (such as straight down from a tall building) than you can through walls (such as an underground garage).

500 feet is almost two football fields. Just how far away would you need to be able to start your car? If you are going to be out of sight of the car then you sure don't want to rely on the factory alarm system when it's started remotely - better invest in a good aftermarket alarm as well.

A shop that strips and solders their connections is much more quality conscious than those who use those scotchlock connectors to tap into the wires.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

how many feet are in a mile?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

wasn't it like 1392 or was that yards?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

5,280 feet = 1,760 yards = 1 mile
Old 04-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Launching!

I agree with what's been said. As an installer, we'd generally tell customers they'd get around 500 feet, for the same reason that WhiteBird said. On most remote-start modules, the only way to get better range is to either lengthen the antenna (must have an understanding of RF to do this) or position it properly. Again, any shop worth going to will at least position the antenna properly, instead of just stuffing it under the dash cuz it takes too long to route it right. I also agree that soldering is by far the best connection, and any shop that's willing to put in the extra time (lots!!) to solder would be definately worth considering. $300 installed for a viper seems like a good deal - they're what I used to install. DEI (the manufacturer of Viper) doesn't just sell to anyone, although it doesn't take a great shop to get hooked up with them, either. By all means, and this goes for anything in the car world, DO NOT USE CRIMP or SCOTCHLOCK CONNECTORS!! Without getting too technical, crimps (and the like) are NOT flexible or waterproof like the wire itself, so you're only inviting problems. Seen enough of it to know.

Ask what their warranty is, and when you do pick a shop, politely express your concerns, and try to convince them that it's not the price that matters to you, so if it takes a little bit more, then you're happy to oblige. Just saying this sorta thing will generally get your baby a little more 'tlc', and they generally don't charge extra unless they have to. A $20 for the installer never hurts either, as long as you can actually talk to the human that's working on your ride!!

BTW, I'm just west of Houston Texas
Old 04-05-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Thanks Guys...

I can appreciate your opinions. I am a little on the electrical side but big on the mechanical. I'm a technician in the Engineering\ Maintenance production department for an Anheuser-Busch Brewery of 13 years, Stroh's before that for 8 years and Coca-Cola for 3, and to qualify one must be a machinist. Point being, I know what I can and cannot do, sometimes anyway.
Thanks to you guys I know how to feel an installer out now.
And it will be a $20.00 bill and 2 cases of beer if all is well, on top of the cost.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Good luck man, I'm sure you'll love it once you get it!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Just so you know, there are harnesses available to 'plug' into the factory ignition harness. I wouldn't worry about splices on the rest of the system, but the ignition harness is a biggie. Like others have said, as long as you get your antenna up at windshield level or higher, you will have the range you want. I can unlock my car a lot farther away than I would ever want to. Wouldn't want to unlock my car and still be 100 yards away, just to have somebody walk up and open my door while I am still a ways away.

One more thing, don't go to the shop with the fastest install time. You will wait longer and pay more for quality installs.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ
One more thing, don't go to the shop with the fastest install time. You will wait longer and pay more for quality installs.

Amen to that!!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Tell Me About The Harness?

Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ
Just so you know, there are harnesses available to 'plug' into the factory ignition harness. I wouldn't worry about splices on the rest of the system, but the ignition harness is a biggie.
Does the harness come with the Viper or.....?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Not sure on that one - it's been xx (many) years since I did this professionally, and the harnesses started coming out just as I got outta the industry. I'm kinda torn on the harnesses - on the one hand, you KNOW it's hooked up right. On the other hand, it's another connection that can fail. If they're anything like the ones for head units, they're available SEPERATELY from the remote-start module itself, and must be wired into the module. Simple, but again - another connection. As a purist, I vote for a REAL connection, but I wouldn't tell anyone NOT to use the harness.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Ultra Start?

While waiting for the cash to become available I am googling around looking at what is out there.
Any of you guys know of UltraStart systems?
http://www.ultrastarters.com/
Old 04-07-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

*PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS*
I have been a MECP Master Installer for years and installed over a hundred alarm/starters. And if you do what I say you will be very very happy.

1) DEI (directed electronic) is the BEST and owns 90% of all alarm/start companys, best product,service,and warranty.
2)A small shop can be ok if they are MECP installers and by law they should be, but it is best to go to a big store. Best buy, circuit city. ect...
3) NO WIRE ever should be t-taped, power runs on the out side of the wire not in the conductor
4)every wire should be soidered and taped or srink tubed. All wires should he unseen and taped as well as cut to the right size

I alway offer to show my install before puting the dash back together. A master piece in every install. So ask to see it if you can find the 10ga.with points to the alarm you wasted your money.

BEST TIP YOU WILL EVER HERE
Do it yourshelf, realy it isn't hard and I will or someone on here give you the wire info and pics. SO it is done right,clean, and if there is ever a problem you know in 5minutes who to fix what wire. It is so easy I train installers in a day! And with DEI no programing is needed!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by therock
Does the harness come with the Viper or.....?
There is no harness on any alarm and or starter! the as every car is different that would be inposible. and if there was one could super easly "hot wire" a car.
On a f-body the harness is like 25wires and a 5" plug that has many more wires in it! And I know DEI "viper" doesn't have a harness. Only one to the relay pack.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Launching!

I was MECP certified too, and judging from your post, I'd have you do mine if I couldn't. I totally agree with everything you said, except the 'big' stores doing a good job - guess things have changed since I did this professionally (~10-15 years). Right on, 2FAST.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
3) ....power runs on the out side of the wire not in the conductor
Huh???
Old 04-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Launching!

doh! I read it, (think) I understood what he meant, but didn't catch it. Then went on to say how much I agreed with him! I think what he meant was the other way around - in fact, I'm pretty sure of it. Hell, I could be wrong too, it's happened before