Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

THIS is how you mount a radar detector...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
step 1: cant use cobra detectors, theres no wires to the LCD its soldered directly to the board! lol
Whats a good detector? I guess its time to upgrade!
Correction, I unsoldered the LCD from the board, stole some wires from a broken radio and soldered them on, it was only 5 wires (thank the lord) and it works great! Now Im wondering if I should take off the speaker and put it somewhere else also?? I already ordered a new radar detector so I might as well... right??
Attached Thumbnails THIS is how you mount a radar detector...-cobra-radar.jpg  
Old 04-13-2005, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by maddboost
Your not cutting through the glass your cutting through the reflective back of the mirror. You then use acid to clean off the residue.
You know where he got the acid to do it?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:31 AM

So I player around tonight.. had some fun.. check it out.. Im waiting on my new mirror and my acid and Ill get to finish this.. I will have this one for sale if anyone is interested, I will be installing my new Passport 8500 X50 in another mirror for my car...
Attached Thumbnails THIS is how you mount a radar detector...-mirrorlcd.jpg  
Old 04-23-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys for anyone interested, I just purchased one of the new x50s and Im going to be doing this, I have a bunch of extra mirrors here I purchased a while back for another project so if it goes smoothly I would start doing it for others, I will post up on my webpage.. Most likely I will just buy the radar detector and mirror and sell them as a set with easy instructions!!
How is the progress going with this?
Old 04-24-2005, 01:43 AM

I love my new radar detector too much to take it apart! lol
I'm trying to find some acid to get the mirror part etched off, havent really been looking.. Im thinking maybe pool acid? Anyone know?!
Old 04-24-2005, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i actually used to do mirror re-silvering as a side project, and i used nitric acid to take off the old silver. of course, my stepdad was the one who supplied it, as he used to work for TAMU, and had some connections.....not sure how easy it is to get nitric acid otherwise.

but one thing's for sure, you definitely don't wanna get that stuff on any part of the mirror that you want to keep intact....it will eat that stuff off with a quickness.

but i think some hobby stores sell an acid paste that would probably work better for taking off only a specific part of the mirror, vs. taking it all off....just make sure it's not the type of acid paste that is used for glass etching.....
Old 04-24-2005, 04:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My radar is screwed anyways. Sounds like I'll give this a try. Could it be possible to mount the radar above the mirror to shorten wire and hide from center of windshield? If I did this, I would just have to seal up the face of the radar since the display face will be inside the mirror housing. Do you know of anybody selling speakers that would work in a radar because mine has been dead for several months now. Right now it only works at night when the lights on the face are more visible. I need something I can hear and notice during the day.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I love my new radar detector too much to take it apart! lol
I'm trying to find some acid to get the mirror part etched off, havent really been looking.. Im thinking maybe pool acid? Anyone know?!

with a v1 you wotn have to. You can buy this external unit and just take that appart.

Old 04-24-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey LS1_SS, let me know how that goes for you, im interest in trying this myself. What radar detectors can be used for this?
Old 04-24-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 96blackz28
Hey LS1_SS, let me know how that goes for you, im interest in trying this myself. What radar detectors can be used for this?
I know that cobras can be used but you have to be really good at soldering otherwise you can screw something up really bad.. I have the new passport and Im going to try it with that once I get some acid and some other parts.. I just havent had time yet...
Old 04-25-2005, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Razzak
So who's got a writeup for this one?

http://tunertricks.com/blog/index.php?p=22

Looks AWESOME. Also, the guy did a great job mounting a mac mini in his car. I'm fully impressed.
Wow, and I thought the way I mounted mine was impressive.... Deffinately sweet!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
My radar is screwed anyways. Sounds like I'll give this a try. Could it be possible to mount the radar above the mirror to shorten wire and hide from center of windshield? If I did this, I would just have to seal up the face of the radar since the display face will be inside the mirror housing. Do you know of anybody selling speakers that would work in a radar because mine has been dead for several months now. Right now it only works at night when the lights on the face are more visible. I need something I can hear and notice during the day.
Yeah, thats they way I did mine, and you cant even see it. It really easy
Old 04-26-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

not quite as cool as the mirror, but here is what I did to my V1.

The detector is just above the mirror. No one can see it. I have had cops behind, in front and beside me. (I live in Va)

Old 04-26-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What is it about the V1 that makes it so much better than other rader detectors? I have done searches and can't find it.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Well, the only thing the V1 has going for it that others don't is the arrows. V1 used to be the best in many categories, but I think other companies have caught up. V1 is still the only brand though that will point to where the signal came from.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

V1 supposively has longer range on the highway, and the arrows
Old 04-27-2005, 01:18 AM
9 Second Club

thats so cool
Old 05-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Where do you mount the buttons and the speaker, I love the idea about putting it in the mirror. Where do you mount the unit to pick up the radar?
Old 05-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

That is so cool, I was thinking about that but diffrent setup. I might have to buy that.

But could someone get the radar to talk to me? "Bi**h slow down the cops are behind you!"
Old 05-08-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clemsondave
not quite as cool as the mirror, but here is what I did to my V1.

The detector is just above the mirror. No one can see it. I have had cops behind, in front and beside me. (I live in Va)

Hey could you post where you have the main unit please? (or is that it?)