Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My new humount.com Trans Am faceplate

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That's freakin' SWEET. Definitely a cool thing and keep us posted on which is better!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
That's freakin' SWEET. Definitely a cool thing and keep us posted on which is better!
Will do. I'm extremely picky about things like this so I wont go with anything less than perfect. From an out-of-the-car standpoint I think I like the single DIN trim better because it's more factory, but I think in the car I might like the HUMount kit better. I'm using an Eclipse 8053, which can have red backlit buttons, but the main *** controls are still lit in blue, so I think maybe the red "Trans Am" will tie it all in together between the HUMount kit, the CD player, and the HVAC controls. It'll be a few weeks before I get everything in and wired up, but I'll be sure to post pictures of both kits and whatnot.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

I just got the T/A kit and installed it, it is sweet. Unfortunately, but stereo didn't have a dimmer pin so we had to connect the red wires to the accessory/ignition wire so the red light is always on and doesn't dim with the guages...but oh, well, it still is sweet.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The dimmer wire is the orange wire on the factory harness. If you got the mini-bulbs for the mount's illumination, then they will dim with the gauges. If they're LEDs, they pretty much won't dim at all.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Here are the pics.

and with the old mount kit

Old 05-02-2005, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

The dimmer wire is the orange wire on the factory harness. If you got the mini-bulbs for the mount's illumination, then they will dim with the gauges. If they're LEDs, they pretty much won't dim at all.
My brother installed it for me, and he didn't see the a pin for a wire from the dimmer wire on the factory harness, he didn't want to splice in that far down, he only spliced into the stereo harness, and there was no pin or wire for the dimmer on it.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Just ordered one up. Red backlighting, "Trans Am" main illuminated script with "Pontiac" subscript in black textured finish. I've also got a custom single DIN mounting ring from DJSexay (http://www.fbodyaudio.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1112155457) and I'll be comparing the two to see which I like better, a more factory look from the single DIN trim which completely hides the dash kit (DJSexay) or the more flashy unit that looks aftermarket, but looks damn good at being aftermarket (HUMount.com).

Let us all know. That is a Nice looking trim ring piece. Just a couple of questions:

The Metra kit is in the factory location behind the trim and is mounted the same as regular kits?

And then the trim ring is truely the same as the factory piece only better looking?

Nice find.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000KCTA
My brother installed it for me, and he didn't see the a pin for a wire from the dimmer wire on the factory harness, he didn't want to splice in that far down, he only spliced into the stereo harness, and there was no pin or wire for the dimmer on it.
I promise there's a dimmer wire. I have it on my 2000 plus I even had it on my 1993 Formy. Did you get the LED kit or the mini bulbs? If it's the LEDs, you can leave those one 24/7 if you wanted. You won't have to replace them for roughly 11 years..
Old 05-03-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Come to think of it, I really think I'm gonna wire mine to be on 24/7. I was going to hook it up to my alarm so it'd illuminate when I arm it, but I'd have to use a relay because I'll also want it to come on with my parking lights. If I had it wired for 24/7 operation, it'd make it alot easier to do!
Old 05-03-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Mine's the Silverado one in that gallery. Came out really nice, will have install pics soon.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

I promise there's a dimmer wire. I have it on my 2000 plus I even had it on my 1993 Formy. Did you get the LED kit or the mini bulbs? If it's the LEDs, you can leave those one 24/7 if you wanted. You won't have to replace them for roughly 11 years..
Maybe I will have him pop it back open, I got the bulbs (by the way). But since it is red it is not too bad when driving even with the rest of the lights dimmed all the way. Oh, the dimmer wire coming to the factory harness is there, but the adapter that they used when they installed my HU does not have the pin for the dimmer and no wire going to the HU for the dimmer but I will survive without it dimming. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000KCTA
Maybe I will have him pop it back open, I got the bulbs (by the way). But since it is red it is not too bad when driving even with the rest of the lights dimmed all the way. Oh, the dimmer wire coming to the factory harness is there, but the adapter that they used when they installed my HU does not have the pin for the dimmer and no wire going to the HU for the dimmer but I will survive without it dimming. Thanks for the advice though.
Yeah, I'd have him pop it back open and put the wire on the orange wire. You might be prone to burning bulbs if not plus if you leave you car parked for a few days it could run down the battery. If you had LEDs, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Try e-mailing him and see what he'd charge for a LED one.. I bet he'd swap them out for a few bucks if you offer to send the one you have back. That way he could re-use it on another one.

Crazy how the adapter didn't have one. I got my adapter at wal-mart and it had one.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

the lights are spliced into the accessory/ignition wire, so they only come on when the key is in the ignition and turned to the accessory location (ie: when driving or when parked with car off but running the stereo) bro was at least smart enough not to wire them into the 24x7 power supply. that would have sucked.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:41 PM

You guys with those kits that dont flush the HU in, why? The Metra kit is just as cheap as all the other kits, I can't stand that "sticking out" look.

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Let us all know. That is a Nice looking trim ring piece. Just a couple of questions:

The Metra kit is in the factory location behind the trim and is mounted the same as regular kits?

And then the trim ring is truely the same as the factory piece only better looking?

Nice find.
The Metra kit bolts up like regular. The single DIN trim does not use any of the factory style clips at all. It attaches to the Metra kit via velcro, mounting tape, or whatever you choose to use, and trims off the HU and HVAC controls like that.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Banned

i think they look awesome im purchasing one asap
Old 05-12-2005, 03:59 PM

Hey guys, my part of this is off. I'm putting the stock stereo stuff back in and selling both of those dash kits ($35 shipped for the stock-like single DIN, $50 shipped for the HUMount one, PM if interested). Got bills and other stuff to take care of so I'm laying off the audio and selling all my stuff. I was really looking forward to doing this also. Sorry guys.

Quick Reply: My new humount.com Trans Am faceplate