Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

would a blown speaker cause an amp to fail?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would a blown speaker cause an amp to fail?

I just recently noticed the driver side sub in my car rattling that "I just blew" rattle, then I get into my car this morning and now there's NO bass coming from either side!

Is there any way to tell if it's 2 blown speakers or the amp... the other speakers seem to be ok (cept for the driver front, but I think thats a separate issue)...
Old 04-22-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by scorched_ss
I just recently noticed the driver side sub in my car rattling that "I just blew" rattle, then I get into my car this morning and now there's NO bass coming from either side!

Is there any way to tell if it's 2 blown speakers or the amp... the other speakers seem to be ok (cept for the driver front, but I think thats a separate issue)...

Its always possible, but not likely. Most amps have short circuit protection when they see less then a certian ohm load.

Theres a way to test, replace the speaker with a working one.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:41 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Ohm your speakers out. It is possible to fry your amp, but highly unlikely. Check fuses on amp.. If ohms are low it could draw too much current on the amp and send it int thermal protection, fry the power suply, or most likely blow the fuse.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

If you are talking about the stockers... good question. Both of mine stopped working as well Everything else works fine :
Old 04-23-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

same problem here
Old 04-23-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can. If the coice coil shorts out against ground or Pos to Neg. Doesn't happen often.

Usually happens in Very high Power applications Like SPL vehicles where 1 sub can have upwards of 20,000-30,000 watts.

For the Monsoon I could because the speakers are made cheaper. Therefor the Leads could pop loose and short to ground.

The Best way to test for this is to use a DVM (digital Volt Meter) to see if they are.