Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

weird turn signal problem! ARGH

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 12:09 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry weird turn signal problem! ARGH

Man if its not one thing with this car its another. I tried a search to no avail. everyone seems to have a different problem...

anyway so check this out. When I use my right turn signal, its fine, blinks inside and out, etc. However, when I use my left turn signal, the rear external turn signal stays lit, and the front does not come on. However in the car, the indicator for the turn left signal remains lit on my dashboard.

Additionally, only my right DTRL works. Now, I know you're all going to say burnt out bulb, but I just replaced all the bulbs (2 on each side) in my turn signals maybe a week ago, because the opposite side had been giving me trouble. Any ideas would be great, cause it pisses me off when people dont use their signals and I dont want to do the same thing! Many Thanx

Brad
Old 04-24-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know or cars burn the shockets so I would first meter the shocket. Do the hazzards work?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine does the same thing on my 98 T/A. Right signal works fine. Left side back stays on and the front doesn't come on at all. I turn the hazards on and the back left flashes but nothing happens in the front. Also the right side of my steering radio controls doesn't light up. I can't figure it out, I'm gonna try and replace the socket.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

The first thing to check is the bulb on the side that doesn't flash. But you've already done that, so the next thing is probably the socket. Our cars are notorious for getting water in the housings and ending up with corroded sockets. (Of course, it's still possible that even the new bulb could have burned out.)
Old 04-24-2005, 10:43 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
I know or cars burn the shockets so I would first meter the shocket. Do the hazzards work?
the hazards DO work.

EDIT: Thanks for your help guys I appreciate t big time.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

replace the DRL.
That's what my current problem is.
I'm going to look into a GM replacement, then get a dab of silicon to seal off the damn sockets.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:16 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

well i got under the car today, checked it out. Weird enough, it was just a burned out bulb, even though I JUST put it in a week or so ago. But this bulb man, it EXPLODED!! the outer glass was all shades of grey and black and white, and when I went to pull it out of the socket, the glass broke off, and inside the filaments were reduced to little bits of ashy material, and the bars that hold the filament were twisted, black, and looked melted?! Plus the socket was black around the base too, like it had caught fire??! I've NEVER seen a burned out bulb like this before, and I've changed plenty. Would post pictures but I didnt think of it in time and threw it away. anyway so a stupid problem in the end but man this bulb looked like an atom bomb went off inside it!!! I put in a new one and it works fine. bizarre...

Brad
Old 04-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

Sounds like what happens when a hot bulb gets splashed with cold water or snow. Did you see any signs of water leaks in the housing?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:12 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sounds like what happens when a hot bulb gets splashed with cold water or snow. Did you see any signs of water leaks in the housing?
Yeah I did actually I think I may have not seated the socket right last time (those turn signals are a PITA), and couple days ago just before this happened we had a pretty bad rainstorm. Bu I wasnt out driving in it or anything. Maybe it got wet then when I drove it, it popped? But yeah I gott clan out the water in those suckers all the time. I am just gonna get some clear corners soon, and silicone the **** out of them.