Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Needles fix after gauge overlay install (my fix)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Needles fix after gauge overlay install (my fix)

Just thought I'd share (my fix) after what I thought would be an expensive issue:

When I was installing some Macewen White face gauges, like an f'n idiot I removed the tac and speedo needles. When I put everything back together all the gauges where reading correctly except the speedo. It was reading approximately 20MPH slower than it should have been. Needless to say I thought I was totally F'd. I thought I would have to get it recalibrated or get a new cluster. I took it apart again and this time turned the car on without the clear gauge lens. All the needles started to read levels except the speedo, I manually set the speedo to "0" and the need sat there perfect instead of completely falling like when the ingition is shut off. I went for a test drive and it was reading perfect. I left the car on while I replaced the clear lens. Ahh, perfect!

I hope this might help someone else with the same issue and same some dough.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did the same thing to my gauges. I have yet to fix it though. I think my spedo is correct but my tach is reading 300-400 rpms too high. If it wasn't such a PITA I would just do it the first chance I got. Glad your gauges work.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I have to send my small (2) part pieces (oil/temp and amp/fuel) back to my vendor.....adhesion over time (2 mos) has bubbled and impacting my needle movement.

Strange, 'cause the Tach/Speedo are just fine! Anyone else had this problem?

I didn't even have to remove my needles, but I also understand that certain years you do, and others you don't. Just slid them underneath the needles to the correct mounting location.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
Yeah, I have to send my small (2) part pieces (oil/temp and amp/fuel) back to my vendor.....adhesion over time (2 mos) has bubbled and impacting my needle movement.

Strange, 'cause the Tach/Speedo are just fine! Anyone else had this problem?

I didn't even have to remove my needles, but I also understand that certain years you do, and others you don't. Just slid them underneath the needles to the correct mounting location.
I hope mine won't bubble! Now you got me thinking!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not, just a bad set, but they are extremely thin, as opposed to the Tach/Speedo ovelays

Quick Reply: Needles fix after gauge overlay install (my fix)