Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

fuse trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuse trouble

this seems to happen whenever i push the power lock button from inside the car, i dunno if the same happens if i lock with the keyless remote, but i've noticed it with the power lock. i get outside my car and everything's normal. then all the sudden a few seconds later, my alarm will start going off. That's when i know i'm gonna need new fuses. every time it happens, i blow 2 fuses. i blow the 15amp tail lmps fuse, and the 20 amp pwr accy fuse. so no gauges, no tail lights (which got me a ticket) for me. i've replaced them many times, and the same thing always happens. i've had no extra electronics installed in my car, it just started happening out of nowhere. i think also when i opened my trunk earlier today, the fuse for the trunk lid blew. i forgot if that's part of the 15 and 20 amp fuses that i talked about already or not. I need help cuz i can't keep my car unlocked all the time!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Well, the cause of the alarm going off is probably the shock sensor in the right rear hatch area (under the plastic cover in front of the spare tire). They are well known for failing and causing the symptoms you describe. You can either adjust the sensitivity down or just unplug the sensor to prevent the false alarms.

I don't know why that would cause blown fuses. I'm out of town this week so I don't have access to the wiring diagrams. I'll look into it when I get back after the weekend.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

STILL HAPPENS!!! also got a nice crack in my windshield and a nail in my tire 2 days ago. holy bad luck batman!!

i tried 25amp fuses, but they burned out too. last time i brought it to the dealer all they did was replace the fuses. now i guess i hafta go back and yell at them and try to get them to fix it for free, or at least find out whut the problem is without charging me another $90 for the diagnostics!!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You must have a dead short somewhere (rather than just an overloaded circuit). I have checked the wiring diagrams and can find several places that such a short could cause the PWR ACCY fuse to blow when the alarm activates but I can't find a common point that would cause both the PWR ACCY and the TAIL LPS fuses to blow at the same time. One possibility is the wiring to the "theft deterrent relay" (behind the dash to the left of the glove box) which is triggered by the BCM and is connected to the parking lights.

You could try turning the alarm system off using the programming options to see if that stops the fuses from blowing. You wouldn't have an alarm but at least you would be able to lock the doors until you can get it fixed.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

it has to have something to do with the power locks, becuz i can lock and unlock manually by sliding the locks on the inside, and unlocking the door with my key. but if i use the power lock or my keyless, then they blow. i've used the power lock while looking at the fuses, and they don't blow, so maybe its only when they unlock. also, when the fuses i think were blown, i was at advanced auto parts with my window down and my car was locked, so i reached inside to try to push the power unlock and it dind't work at all. the power lock side did tho.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

It can't be the power door locks because they aren't connected to the PWR ACCY or TAIL LPS fuses in any way. I think you're forgetting that the alarm system can be set using either the remote or the switches on the doors. Something in the alarm system is causing the problem and arming the alarm either way causes the fuses to blow.

As I suggested above, disable the alarm system through the options programming routine and see if the problem stops. That will demonstrate that something in the alarm system is at fault. Then comes the tough task of tracking down where the electrical short is located. Once again, the most likely culprit is the shock sensor. A dead short in the sensor certainly could cause the PWR ACCY fuse to blow. Depending on how it was shorted, it could also cause the TAIL LPS fuse to blow when the alarm relay trips to flash the lights during an alarm. Once you have determined that the alarm system is at fault, reactivate the alarm programming and unplug the shock sensor to see if that solves the problem. That would be an easy fix and it only takes a minute to test.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

BTW, the car is designed to deactivate the door switches a few minutes after the last door is closed. The BCM "goes to sleep" which is why aftermarket alarms need special wiring to "wake up" the BCM and unlock the doors. That explains why reaching in through the window to operate the door switch wouldn't unlock the door - it's not a problem, it's designed that way.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

thanx for lookin into this, if its not the sensor then maybe the bcm, beats me. i'll prolly check the sensor, and if that's not it then i'll manually lock and unlock until i find a dif car i like. thanx

by the way, every once in a while my dash lights and tail lights go out still, even if i manually lock and unlock. i cross my fingers every time i start my car!!

Quick Reply: fuse trouble