Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about RMS for a new Sub?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 11:55 PM
MBB
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about RMS for a new Sub?

I'm new to subs and amps so i'm a bit confused! I'm going to buy a Kicker 12" Comp VR sub already premounted in a kicker box. It's Rated at 800W max and 400W RMS and i was wondering if i can use less than 400W RMS Because i've been looking at 2 pioneer amps one rated at 380x1 (760w) and another rated at 360x1 (800w) can i use either of these amps and what is the least amount of RMS do you suguest i use keeping in mind i don't want to damage the sub. I was also wondering if i can turn down the volume of the sub because i know thats gonna be a lot of bass! Thanks in advanced because i've been having problems logging in!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

You can use less than the reccommended RMS rating of any speaker, however you won't get the full potential of the woofer. Undercutting the reccommended RMS power by 20-40 watts won't matter much at all. Some say that underpowering a speaker is bad for the woofer. That is not technically correct in the truest sense. You start to run into problems when you have an amplifier underpowering the speaker and attempt to get a little more sound out of that amplifier by turning up the gains more. The result is distortion, perhaps inaudible, that will eventually harm the speaker.
As far as being able to control the volume of the sub, if you have a mid-range or better head unit, it should be equipped with subwoofer controls allowing you to vary the volume of your sub. Also some amplifiers come equipped with "bass *****" that control to volume of the subwoofer. Be careful when using these though because some do not control a change in voltage (gain control), they control a change in equalization (bass boost, EQ, etc.) which can lead to distortion.
Hope that helps a little bit.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Yeah you're not going to hurt it by underdriving it 20-40 Watts, but you can run 500-600 Watts to the sub with no problem. I don't know how good a Pioneer amp is going to be, that's the only problem I have with the setup -- go on Sounddomain.com and check out some Kicker amps, they have mad sales from time to time. Hope it helps -- happy hunting!
Old 05-13-2005, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

As long as you have the majority of the RMS power that the subs ask for, then it'll sound good. Definately don't go over the amt of RMS power that it says the subs can handle. I think it'll sound good.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS01RED
As long as you have the majority of the RMS power that the subs ask for, then it'll sound good. Definately don't go over the amt of RMS power that it says the subs can handle. I think it'll sound good.

there's usually not anything wrong with going a bit over the RMS, as long as it's not excessive, like 1000w into a 100w RMS sub, or something like that. for a good sub, i wouldn't hesitate to go up to about 25% over the stated RMS rating.

as a matter of fact, i would rather go 25% over the RMS rating than 50% - 75% under the rating, because if you underpower the amp (as previously stated), you will have the tendency to use the gain **** as a volume ****, therefore increasing the amount of noise that is amplified, which can dramatically decrease the life of the speaker(s). if you go a little over the RMS rating, you can pretty well turn the gain way down, keeping the signal nice & clean, and keep your speaker(s) playing for long time to come (assuming that they are in the proper airspace, and playing the frequencies that they are meant to play).
Old 05-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Launching!

underdrive causes clippage at high volumes, which send direct voltage to the subs, which blows them