Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Taillight fuse blows - loose ground cable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillight fuse blows - loose ground cable?

My friends firebird blows taillight fuses, and i googled some and eventually found this: pontiac firefly

The description of the problem pretty much mathes my friends. We installed a new stereo by cutting the old cables and soldering them to new ISO-connectors. When everything was connected there was one ground cable which didn't go anywhere cause the old radio had 2 ground connections and the new one only one. We just isolated that cable and left it hanging, but i guess that was wrong, and you must connect it but where to? Just to another ground cable?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Launching!

If it truly is a ground wire, then yes - connecting it to another ground would be fine. But I'm skeptical as to whether or not this is actually the problem. There are two gray wires in the dash, one is a speaker and one is for the illumination - is it possible you've got those two mixed up?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Default fixed

We fixed the problem... turns out the cable we thought were the ground actually was the dimmer cable and that's why the taillight fuse kept blowing we just switched that cable with the real ground and it worked again.