Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub cuts out? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sub cuts out? HELP

i've got a pioneer 760w amp (380rms) runnin to a 10" solo baric L7 in a stealthbox in my t-top 00 SS. the sub/amp combo is hooked up through a linelevel converter tapped into the speaker outputs via the wiring harness to the stock monsoon amp in the rear. my problem is this, when the volume reaches a certain point the sub will cut off but the on light is still there for the amp. is it that the amp isnt getting enough power supplied through the cable to the battery? or something to do with the line level converter running to the wires coming out of the stock amp and that the two amps may be cancelling eachother out?

the power cable right now is a 10ga

Last edited by 01Lowboy; 07-18-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Teching In

to the top
Old 07-17-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

well i know that in order for my subs to work with my factory headunit and amp i had to get some box thing that hooked to the back of the headunit in order for it to work properly. something about our headunits dont have something to run a sub without it. but if your runnin yours from the amp then might be a wire problem or a fuse.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Teching In

i have a line level but instead of being hooked up behind the head unit, it's tapped in by the stock amp in the rear
Old 07-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Classic symptom of an amp kicking into protection. Probably thermal.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Launching!

your l7 is pulling to much power from the amp when its hitting the higher volume causing your amp to go into protection mode. Those L7's need a lot of power, if you were to get a bigger amp it would more than likely solve your problem. I had an 12"l7 running off a audiobahn A8000t mono amp which puts out 800rms and the sub was bumpin hard. Like i said those l7's need some decent power to work to its potential
Old 07-18-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fox_forma
your l7 is pulling to much power from the amp when its hitting the higher volume causing your amp to go into protection mode.
No subwoofer "pulls any power" from any amp. The amp does it's best and that's it. There is no "special power request" from the subwoofer forcing the amp into protection.

01Low, turn the gain on your amp down a touch and give it a try.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Have you check your grounds and power to the amp as well as remote turn-on. I had the same problem and it was a loose remote turn on. Everytime the bass would hit it would jar loose.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firebirdude
No subwoofer "pulls any power" from any amp. The amp does it's best and that's it. There is no "special power request" from the subwoofer forcing the amp into protection.

01Low, turn the gain on your amp down a touch and give it a try.
No the sub does not technically pull power, but using a sub that wants a lot more than an amp can give is a good way to kill/overheat an amp, because the amp is maxed out the whole time. Turning down gain may/may not solve his problem, but still wont push the sub well, the ultimate solution= a beter amp
Old 07-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Teching In

That is if its in protection. It almost has to be those things want at least twice that much RMS . Try to have a buddy hook up his bigger amp (anything around or over 700rms will work) in your car using your same conections and see if you can turn it up.

Last edited by Shackelford; 07-18-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Replace that POS amp with some real power. Pioneer amps dont even do what the box they came in says.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shackelford
No the sub does not technically pull power, but using a sub that wants a lot more than an amp can give is a good way to kill/overheat an amp, because the amp is maxed out the whole time. Turning down gain may/may not solve his problem, but still wont push the sub well, the ultimate solution= a beter amp
Thats what I meant Also what about the 10gage power wire? Shouldnt that be at least 8g?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Teching In

kool, i'll turn the gain down and see what that does for the cutting out
Old 07-19-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shackelford
No the sub does not technically pull power, but using a sub that wants a lot more than an amp can give is a good way to kill/overheat an amp, because the amp is maxed out the whole time.
That's because people are greedy idiots. Trying to crank the gain **** in order to make there 100W amp push two W7's. The gain isin't a volume **** as you know, but it can be used as a regulator obviously. Set the gain properly and you won't have a problem regardless if you were trying to power 100 12W7's. You want louder? By a bigger amp. Don't get greedy.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Make sure your line level converter isn't just sending a raw signal through rca's It should change it to a consistant voltage for the amps if you have it conected through rca's. If it's not it could be sending a distorted signal to your amp thought the llc. If it's doing the that, the amp may kick into a thermal protection mode.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Teching In

That's because people are greedy idiots. Trying to crank the gain **** in order to make there 100W amp push two W7's. The gain isin't a volume **** as you know, but it can be used as a regulator obviously. Set the gain properly and you won't have a problem regardless if you were trying to power 100 12W7's. You want louder? By a bigger amp. Don't get greedy.
greedy idiot i am not. the gain is at the factory "normal" setting on the amp. so thanks, but no thanks for ur input if it's not the least be constructive.

and no that's the the problem
Old 07-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Teching In

He just said gain is not his problem, you can have a problem with too big of a power demand. friend of mine ran 2 idmax 12s off of a "100 watt" wal mart amp with gain not up and guess what, the amp fried not saying that the amp is absoloutly his problem but it could be.

Now as i said before arguing with this guy, try a better amp on your curent conections, and test all the other posibilities.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Whats the update man? Figure anything out yet?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Teching In

i dont think is the amp dude i had the same problem..how many watts is ur sub ur probably over powering it..try a nother sub and see what happens..good luck