Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

mounting pics of satellite recievers

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammed99s10
It's a metal bracket made by Pro Fit.

My Sirius unit has a 1/8" output, thought about doing what you did and using an adapter for the cd changer port but wanted to give the relay module a try first. It's actually a 1000% better quality than the built in fm modulater, but not as high quality if I had xm/sirius headunit & add-on unit that uses a s-video type connecter.
thanks. is it the standard mount or the swivel type
Old 08-08-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i just ordered the pro fit mount. it looks like a nice piece, and mounts i a good location i'll let u guys know how it turns out. thanks
Old 08-08-2005, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

It's actually the standard mount, but not specifically designed for the fbodies. Before I sold my bagged 99' S-10 I took all the stereo stuff out, including the sirius unit. So the Pro Fit bracket is for a 94-04 S-10, but I had to bend it sligtly to fit the camaro dash piece. Here are a couple more pics of how it's mounted:

It looks so so from the passenger side, but it works perfectly and that's really all I'm worried about till I upgrade to the add-on unit later on.

Originally Posted by co.6z28
thanks. is it the standard mount or the swivel type
Old 08-08-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Is the GM9-AUX all I will need for this?
2002 trans am / monsoon system... All I want is the rca inputs...
Old 09-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Yes, except for a patch cable that has a stereo headphone plug on one end and RCA plugs on the other. You can get one of these at Radio Shack and many other places (probably even WalMart) for just a few bucks.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Excelent! Thank you.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

okay..i'ma lil lost. I jsut got the idea that i want my sirrus player to play through the mooson head unit. what would i need to do this? I'm thinking about taking a trip over to radio shack or walmart and picking up what I need to do this. is it worth it? My service cuts out a lot cause I have my atena mounted on the dash right now. can anyone post some links of what I would need and how to do it? thanks.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
okay..i'ma lil lost. I jsut got the idea that i want my sirrus player to play through the mooson head unit. what would i need to do this? I'm thinking about taking a trip over to radio shack or walmart and picking up what I need to do this. is it worth it? My service cuts out a lot cause I have my atena mounted on the dash right now. can anyone post some links of what I would need and how to do it? thanks.
OK, if you want to have a direct connection from your satellite radio to the HU (i.e. not using an FM modulator) then you will have to have a car with a cassette HU or one that is newer than mid-1999 if you have the single-CD head unit. Then you will have to buy an auxiliary input adapter such as the PIE GM9-AUX to convert the CD changer port on the back of your HU for use with an auxiliary source. Finally, you will need a patch cable to connect from the audio out jack on the satellite radio (headphone plug) to the auxiliary adapter (RCA plugs).
Old 09-26-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
OK, if you want to have a direct connection from your satellite radio to the HU (i.e. not using an FM modulator) then you will have to have a car with a cassette HU or one that is newer than mid-1999 if you have the single-CD head unit. Then you will have to buy an auxiliary input adapter such as the PIE GM9-AUX to convert the CD changer port on the back of your HU for use with an auxiliary source. Finally, you will need a patch cable to connect from the audio out jack on the satellite radio (headphone plug) to the auxiliary adapter (RCA plugs).
my head is gonna explode...I don't knwo anythign about stereos. I have a 2001 SS with the premium suck *** mooson system. So I'm guessing that is good?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1089890841850

this is the tuner that I have with the car kit.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/359085-satellite-radio-xm-sirius-car-hookup-question.html
Old 09-26-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
thanks a lot.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM9-A...ayphotohosting

I can't find it on radioshack.com, walmart.com, circuitcity.com, or bestbuy.com
Old 09-26-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

is this it...?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Qoez2lF...&display=L#Tab
Old 09-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM9-A...ayphotohosting

I can't find it on radioshack.com, walmart.com, circuitcity.com, or bestbuy.com
Yes, that's it: PIE GM9-AUX
You wont find it at RadioShack.
CircuitCity or BestBuy might have it in their car audio bay.
(not on their websites).

Or, you could buy it where I bought mine: www.myradiostore.com
Specifically:
http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapte...r/gm9-aux.html
(The pic is wrong, but its the right item.)
($70 + shipping)
Old 09-30-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

what would I need to get rid of the antenna for the radio? or how would I be able to use the stock atena?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The stock antenna can't be used for satellite radio reception - it's not tuned to the necessary frequency (not to mention it has the wrong impedance and connector).

Which radio do you want to get rid of the antenna for? You need an antenna to receive satellite radio but you can remove the stock AM/FM antenna and fill the hole just like any shaving job (door handles, etc.).
Old 10-01-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The stock antenna can't be used for satellite radio reception - it's not tuned to the necessary frequency (not to mention it has the wrong impedance and connector).

Which radio do you want to get rid of the antenna for? You need an antenna to receive satellite radio but you can remove the stock AM/FM antenna and fill the hole just like any shaving job (door handles, etc.).
I want to get rid of the sirrus atenna because i can't really mount it on the outside of the car because most of the car isn't metal. I thought there was a way to hook it up so you didn't hav eto use they're crappy atenna?
Old 10-01-2005, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

I want to get rid of the sirrus atenna because i can't really mount it on the outside of the car because most of the car isn't metal. I thought there was a way to hook it up so you didn't hav eto use they're crappy atenna?
Sure you can...Get some good 3M double sided tape, stick a few pieces on the backside of the antenna, and stick it just before the roof meets the rear glass like I did. I've had mine like that for almost 5 months now, it's a daily driver so it see's all the normal abuses of the weather here. I wash my car every saturday or sunday, I've even sprayed it with a presure washer a few times and it's still holding on strong.

Old 10-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You cannot get rid of the antenna - without it you will get no reception at all. However, as Slammed99s10 said, you don't need a metal surface to mount the antenna. You can stick it on the roof with two-sided tape (although I would hate to use that stuff on a painted surface). You can mount it on the trim bar between the t-tops (plastic) and run the wire under the back edge of the bar. Or, you can read the various threads posted by VIP1 earlier in this thread to see other solutions for mounting the antenna such as inside the spoiler.

Quick Reply: mounting pics of satellite recievers