Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

car shuts off when i hit the fog lights, turn signal or horn

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car shuts off when i hit the fog lights, turn signal or horn

ok, i am not sure if this is the right place for this but....

i am having a really weird and bad problem with my 99 z28.

when i turn the car on the right headlight is very dim and when the lights are turned on, if i hit the horn, hit the turn signal or hit the fog lights on it will shut the car off. i tried replacing the fuses for the headlights fog lights and horn but no luck, i really have no idea what would be doing it but i believe there might possibly be a short somewhere or something, i have no idea...

if someone could pleasssse help me asap i have no idea what would do this
Old 09-13-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

have you tried to do any electrical work on the car recently , or did it just start doing this all the sudden?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:39 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U have a short in your dash.........thats going to be a bitch to find!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

hes right you do have a short somewhere, maybe try and pull all thoes fuses to your lights and blinkers n stuff and see if the car will shut off, then plug one back in at a time and turn that acc. on and see which one has the problem in the wiring, that might get you a lil closer to finding the problem. i dunno, just a thought.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by vodas00ss
hes right you do have a short somewhere, maybe try and pull all thoes fuses to your lights and blinkers n stuff and see if the car will shut off, then plug one back in at a time and turn that acc. on and see which one has the problem in the wiring, that might get you a lil closer to finding the problem. i dunno, just a thought.

tried that, no luck do far, this sucks i did wiring work about 2 months ago and had this problem but fixed it by just replacing a fuse but no luck this time.....
Old 09-13-2005, 09:13 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

ok, clean your battery terminals, and make sure they are getting good contact, check the grounds for the ignition and dash gauges (you can pull the gauges out in about 10 minutes and the grounds are easy to find, black wires)

make sure they are all connected securely to bare metal.

dont drive it until you can fix it, you can cause a limitless amount of problems with it like it is.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:57 AM
TECH Regular

i just recently chased down a short. that aint no fun at all.

if you do look under the dash or whever, look at areas that the harness or wires may be rubbing against a metal brace or the like. my short was blowing my guage fuse every once in awhile then got to the point where it would blow the second the key was turned on, making the car impossible to start.

my short was the pink wire coming off the tcs switch, it was shorting out against the metal brace that the console bolts to under the hvac controls.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:35 AM
11 Second Club

well thanks everyone for the help, today i finally figured out what it was, the wiring harness where the horn fog lights headlights and turn signal's all go through the main bumper in the front of the car right between the radiator and headlight i guess.... you could say. well that harness was rubbing against the metal whole that it sits on and was causing a short event tho it was a very tiny piece of wire touching, but i fixed it and everything works fine thankfully.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

congrats. i had one a while back that about drove me crazy.