Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Check out this Audio Sys.. Comments needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(3) 6.5V pre-outs on the Premier high-end series equipment.......although the Eclipse NOW has 7v pre-outs I believe. I have the old DEH940MP, which is the same as this year's DEH860MP, more or less, but w/burr brown. I had the 860 temporarily, but prefer the button/adjustment mechanisms better on the 940

FYI, most amps won't allow more than 4v input anyways (in most cases)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...496601,00.html

Last edited by Firehawk526; 11-09-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
(3) 6.5V pre-outs on the Premier high-end series equipment.......although the Eclipse NOW has 7v pre-outs I believe.

Most amps won't allow more than 4v input anyways (in most cases)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...496601,00.html
Eclipse are 5, 8 and one unit still has a balance 16 volt (+/- 8v)...Eclipse are so easy to decode by model #CD8455 is [{CD 8 4 55} is a (8 volt) (2005 model year) (model 55). The CD 5435 is a you guessed it 5 volt, 2005, #35...cool eh?
I think the Premier 770 MP is 4 volts, the 8 MP might be 6 or 6.5 and the 860 and 960 are 6.5 too. I have an 860 and love it. Back to Nitrous wars!!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, that 8v set-up is a great HU for SPL'rs, but for SQ you don't need it!

I know I am running w/both the Pioneer 940 w/6.5v pre-outs thru a Memphis EQ w/7v preouts, and it is entirely too much, as the volume gain on my EQ is at less than 40% and my individual adjustments are even less than that in some cases depending on freq range.

IMO, 6v is plenty for the average consumer
Old 11-09-2005, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

yeah, that 8v set-up is a great HU for SPL'rs, but for SQ you don't need it!

I know I am running w/both the Pioneer 940 w/6.5v pre-outs thru a Memphis EQ w/7v preouts, and it is entirely too much, as the volume gain on my EQ is at less than 40% and my individual adjustments are even less than that in some cases depending on freq range.

IMO, 6v is plenty for the average consumer
It's real important for folks to remember that gain stages compounded on one another can be detrimental to sound. I'm speaking towards the fact that noise gets amped too. It def would not make sense to me to use a 6-8 volt preout gained with a line driver or eq with lots of gain and expect the amp's input to deal with the increased signal. I'm afraid this is getting way away from the original thread but for grins i'll add that being able to put an oscilloscope on the signal path at any given point is something i'm lucky enough to be able to do if necessary. I've had some systems over the last many years that had great components throughout and sounded like crap. On many occasions we found that all the way back to the head unit the output was clipping and each subsequent gain stage was trying to gain up the DC...anyway i'm all over the place here. I'd say in general terms that low budget doesn't have to be low quality. I'd much rather have a great 200 w/rms amp on a well made sub in a proper box with mids and highs running off a Mosfet based head playing something like Memphis MC60 speakers than a el-cheapo head with a 760watt Jensen amp on an entry level sub in a 3/8" thick sealed box.....
Old 11-09-2005, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackEcho
Guys take a look at it again....I have updated my HU choices Please take a look at it again.... Thanks
--------------------------------------
Ok guys after blowing the $hit out of my factory monsoon, I have decided to upgrade the audio System. Here is what I think so far... i am total newbie when it comes to sound so please let me know what u think and any changes u recommend.... Thanks for comments in advance....

Head unit
Pioneer DEH-P7700MP
Quick look : CD frequency: : 5-20,000 Hz| Sensitivity: 94 dB | 22 watts RMS x 4 channels | peak 50W
Spec Link

Speakers Door and Sail panels
Pioneer TS-A1671R 3 way speakers
Quick look : frequency: 30-33,000 Hz | power range: 2-35 watts RMS |peak power: 220 watts |sensitivity: 90 dB
Spec Link

Subwoofer
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d dual 4 Ohm
Quick Look : power range 75-350 watts RMS peak :1,400W frequency response 18-200 Hz sensitivity 94 dB
Quick Link

Sub Box
Camaro/Firebird Stealth Enclosures
Link

Sub Amplifier
Alpine MRP-M350
Specs : 200 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 Ohms
Quick Link

My question is whether or not I should get a multichannel amp and power both speakers and the sub or get a mono amp and just power the sub... (The headunit says it has a built in amp I think that should be strong enough to drive the speakers) I am not looking for a crazy system just something that would kinda thump... Please let me know what u think...
Sometime it's good to reread the original post!!
Consider this setup...I run something like this and it works real well.
Disconnect all speakers...replace the front door with new 6 1/2 (6 3/4) {I use Memphis MC60s) ~$139/pr. Get a Premier DEHP770MP ~$279 head. (I use an DEHP860) MTX CF10 box unloaded and get a good 10" sub maybe a Boston G21044 (again I use a G51044) and find a good 300 w/ rms 2 ohm stable Class AB amp for "*****" (I use Yzen YA500)...Stinger amp kit...might be a bit over your budget but it should sound just fine...
Old 11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds goods, my bad , and sorry for the off-topic commentary, but the Premier units are good units despite some viewpoints, but that is why we have more than (1) choice.

I am DONE!

I'll save over-modulation/amplification for another time
Old 11-09-2005, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds goods, my bad , and sorry for the off-topic commentary, but the Premier units are good units despite some viewpoints, but that is why we have more than (1) choice.

I am DONE!

I'll save over-modulation/amplification for another time
There really isn't a right or wrong...healthy discussion helps everyone. Damn i'm used to the Nitrous forum.lol. I've been in car hifi since 1978 and still have a lot to learn...now more than ever there are so many good products. (Of course there are more terrible ones too). I've tried my best to stay away from the audio threads since i'm so burned out on it....but I have a real strong technical background having been the lead tech at several self servicing dealers throughout the south east. I have experience in repair as well as sales! Believe me i've seen it all!!
Old 11-12-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Keep in mind that your gain is for level matching, NOT VOLUME. Higher voltage pre-outs only help whether your goal is SQ or SPL.
HUs - stick to Pioneer, Alpine, or Eclipse. They're all good but here's the skinny. Pioneer for features, Alpine for feature and sound balance, Eclipse for sound. I've swapped Alpine for Pioneer, the upgrade was obvious immediately. Alpines are awesome but my Eclipse 8053 was noticeably better right out of the box. just like Alpine over Pioneer. Some of this is taste, but you'll find most knowledgeable people concur with MHO.
Stick with your stealthbox idea, it's solid.
Your front speakers are your most important part. Get components for the front, period. Don't waste your time with coaxes except for rear fill. Want bang for your buck both SQ and SPL? www.edesignaudio.com
Get your front stage, sub, and amps there. I am local, you can hear my setup if you want. I've SO been where you are. Trust me, spend it once, spend it right.
Front stage - eDi 6500 (budget - use 6000 set here)
rears - eDi 6000 (or use coaxs like CDT or skip the rear altogether)
front amp - nine.4 if you want rear fill, nine.2 to run just fronts + sub amp
sub - 11Ov2 (budget - 11Kv2)
sub amp - nine.2x (budget - nine.2)
They even have wiring now, I like knukonceptz also.

The sound and output of their "entry level" gear blows away Infinity and Pioneer. Their value - sound/dollar ratio is truly unreal. I've spent a ton of cash and time on my system. If I were to start over on a budget, all eD period. I've used several of their subs and currently run the 6500 component set up front. You have to spend a TON more money to get much better. Trust me on this one.

PM me if you want to hear my system.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go with alpine for the head unit they do it best
iv had more decks than you can shake a stick at and alpine has never failed me
they have alot of control over frequencys and just about anything you can imagine

Jumped in the fo` hit the juice on my ride
I got front back and side to side
Then I let the Alpine play
Bumpin new **** by NWA
It was "Gangsta Gangsta" at the top of the list

eazy knows
Old 11-13-2005, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

before you buy eD:
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=61209

i think if you were aware of their history, you would not consider buying from them.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:41 AM
Staging Lane

coughALPINEcough