Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

VATS Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS Bypass

Well the VATS System has been giving me problems lately and instead of buying a new ignition cylinder for around $100 and ripping the steering column apart to do the install, I will be bypassing VATS altogether. I went to RadioShack and measured the resistance of the "chip" in the key and have the resistors to do the job.

I wanted to ask others that have done this, where do you solder in the resistors?

Is this where?:

Do you cut off the connector on the VATS Module side and solder the resistors between the two wires (purple/white in picture)?

Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get her running again!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Well I ended up completed this VATS bypass and she fired right up. I would recommend this to anyone instead of replacing the ignition cylinder ($100) plus around $400 in labor to get it installed.

A couple of resistors at RadioShack and you can fix this problem for under $3.00. Solder them in between the purple and white wire to bypass where it checks the resistance in the key. This tricks the system into thinking the right key is in because the correct resistance is always there. Wrap it up with some electrical tape and use a cable tie to keep it secured and your good to go.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were multiple resistors needed to come close to the value measured in the key, or for other reasons?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm just going to have it turned off in the PCM. That, and a few other things like rear o2's and AIR.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

The VATS control isn't in the PCM - it's in the BCM. As far as I know, it can't be disabled through programming.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

It can be turned off in the PCM. I had it done when I had my mail order tune done for the LS1 in my '69.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GPz1100
Were multiple resistors needed to come close to the value measured in the key, or for other reasons?
The resistance in my key was measured at 520 ohms. I used 3 100ohm and a 220ohm resistor and soldered them in line. After the fact, I could have used less resitors by soldering in 2 1000ohm resistors in line and then a 20ohm in series.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are 15 different reisitor values that are used. Just measure your key's resitence, and pick up a DEI 652t for a few bucks, or let me know, i think i have about 20 of them laying around in my tool box
Old 01-05-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The VATS control isn't in the PCM - it's in the BCM. As far as I know, it can't be disabled through programming.
VATS does two things.

1. it sends a "ok to run" signal to the PCM
2. it enables the starter relay.

#1 can be tuned out... you just tell the PCM that you dont care if VATS is sending a signal. this is what has to be tuned out on some swaps.

#2 is the reason you cant just tune it. the VATS module puts the relay to ground when it sees the key.... however, you can just put the wire to ground yourself, and problem solved......

so with tuning and grounding one wire, you can bypass it.

or you can use the above method of telling it the key is always in the ignition
Old 01-05-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Where is the relay at?
Old 01-05-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chae
Well I ended up completed this VATS bypass and she fired right up. I would recommend this to anyone instead of replacing the ignition cylinder ($100) plus around $400 in labor to get it installed.

A couple of resistors at RadioShack and you can fix this problem for under $3.00. Solder them in between the purple and white wire to bypass where it checks the resistance in the key. This tricks the system into thinking the right key is in because the correct resistance is always there. Wrap it up with some electrical tape and use a cable tie to keep it secured and your good to go.
Finally some useful info on how to bypass the VATS! Thanks for the pic too BTW. My car hasn't started since last Friday and after purchasing a starter and a new ignition starter switch, I think this will solve my problem. I already bought the resistors and I just have to solder and heat shrink the resistors. I hope this helps. I've done everything to start the car until I noticed the security light flashing. I even tried the "leave the key in the ON position for 30 minutes" and it didn't work. I'll keep you guys updated and get some more pics of the install tonight.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirby
Finally some useful info on how to bypass the VATS! Thanks for the pic too BTW. My car hasn't started since last Friday and after purchasing a starter and a new ignition starter switch, I think this will solve my problem. I already bought the resistors and I just have to solder and heat shrink the resistors. I hope this helps. I've done everything to start the car until I noticed the security light flashing. I even tried the "leave the key in the ON position for 30 minutes" and it didn't work. I'll keep you guys updated and get some more pics of the install tonight.

just so you know, this doesnt bypass the VATS.... VATS is still being used.

so if your VATS module has failed, it still wont work.

the only thing this bypasses, is the key contacts, and the key resistor itself..
if the contacts or key resistor is the problem, this will let the car run.
if its the actual VATS module, starter relay, or anything else, it wont help.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is the difference between the 1/4 watt resistors and the 1/2 watt resistors? Would it matter which ones I use for the VATS and if not, would it matter if they were mixed since I'm gonna have to solder about 6 together since mine is a #15. The #15 key is 11,780 ohms.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

#2 is the reason you cant just tune it. the VATS module puts the relay to ground when it sees the key.... however, you can just put the wire to ground yourself, and problem solved......
which wire has to be grounded,

i got a guy installing my alarm right now and he is having a hell of a time bypassing vats so i think i may have to disable it, with the remote start on the alarm hooked up, it will start a few times then go into security mode.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its finally running. Bypassing the VATS did the job. I have some pics and plan on doing a writeup tonight in case anyone else is having the same problem.

Chae, thanks for the pic. It made a world of difference since I was able to go straight to the wires and fix the problem.

Quick Reply: VATS Bypass