Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

8" DVC's Using Stock Monsoon Amp

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 8" DVC's Using Stock Monsoon Amp

Hi guys I've had this idea in my mind since I purchased my 1999 T/A about a month in a half ago and both of the sail panel subwoofers were blown and after hearing such bad things about the factory monsoon subwoofers and after buying 2 used monsoon subwoofers and blowing one in only a day I don't want to invest any more money in factory monsoon subwoofers so here's my idea I want to buy 2 8" DVC 4 ohm subwoofers(Not to powerful 100-200 watt range) a small dual 8" enclosure box for the subwoofers to put in rear hatch area and hooking them up to factory specs using my factory monsoon amp and so do you think this is a good idea, would it sound better/give more bass than the factory set up, would the monsoon amp be able to power 2 not very powerful 8" DVC 4 ohm subwoofers efficiently to give clean bass, and has anyone ever tried this set up before if so does it sound good any/all details would be greatly apreciated. Thanks any/all input will be apreiciated Thanks Again.

Jason
Old 01-03-2006, 03:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some people up here that have put 8in subs in the sail panels, but I dont think they ran it off the monsoon amp. I'd expect it to be much much better because of the larger cone area, but not alot louder cause of the limited power from the factory amp. I dont have any experience with the monsoon systems, but I'v been doing alot reading about it.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your going to be using the monsoon amplifier, better look for speakers in the 50W range. If they make 8" subs that low power.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Teching In

yes you can use 8 inch subs the only thing is you have to check the ohm load on the stock speakers i forgot what they are and dont have them any more just hook one up to an ohm meter and buy that ohm of a sub should work great and if you do that you will not blow up your monsoon amp if you have the wrong ohm load it will over heat and most likely break
Old 01-04-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The stock sail panel speakers are 4 ohm DVC in the T/A's and 2 ohm SVC in Camaros. Most of the 8" subs I've seen on the net are in the 200W to 400W range, far too big for the stock Monsoon amplifier to drive. Remember, the amplifier is 500W (200W for pre-2001 Camaros) total. So don't expect more than 50W-70W rms from any one channel.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a T/A with the 500 watt monsoon system which I know is peak watts so if each channel of the monsoon gives out 75 peak watts the rms watts should atleast be 30-50 watts to the subs right and each sub has two channets running to them right so If I get 8" DVC 4 ohm subs 200 peak watt/100 rms watt the monsoon should be able to power them and make pretty good bass right?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

The way I figure

500 WMax / 2 = 250 W RMS @ 2ohm[on a good day]

250 WRMS / 4 channels = 62.5 W RMS per channel at 2 ohm

62 W RMS / 2 (Using 8 inch sub at 4 ohms) = 31 watts

I would expect no more then 30 watts per 8".

To get the results your looking for out of that 8 youll really need an external amp.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you figure I would only be getting 31 watts total to the sub not to each voice coil on the sub because I plan on using DVC 8" inch subs like the factory subs that came in my T/A not single 4 ohm 8" subs.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll sound better than factory. At least know it isn't a gamble from that standpoint.

This is the reason why I never understand the market for people buying used monsoon speakers.

Nearly anything from the aftermarket will sound better. Pick with a little knowledge and you're golden.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1999BlueTA
I have a T/A with the 500 watt monsoon system which I know is peak watts so if each channel of the monsoon gives out 75 peak watts the rms watts should atleast be 30-50 watts to the subs right and each sub has two channets running to them right so If I get 8" DVC 4 ohm subs 200 peak watt/100 rms watt the monsoon should be able to power them and make pretty good bass right?
Not quite, more accurate picture is:

100W peak X 4Chan (@ 2ohm)
~50W rms x 4 chan (@ 2 ohm)

Note the four wires to the 4 ohm DVC sail speaker effectively constitutes 1 channel @ 2 ohms. Remember, the Monsoon head unit distorts horribly at higher volume levels, so your not going get good sound cranking it loud.

Subs typically have top freq response of around 500Hz. The amplifier is internally crossed at some where between 1KHz to 2KHz range. I'm not sure if this is a factor, but passive crossover might be needed.

Chances are if you're going to drop in a 8" sub in the sails, it's going to be significantly quieter than your door speakers. So expect to have to adjust fader toward the rear channels. Hopefully not too drastically.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I plan on using a small duel 8" sealed enclosed box and putting it in the small hatch area I also know that adding an aftermarket amp/subs combo would sound better but I dont want to go through the troubles of adding an extra amp and buying materials and getting an audio shop to install I will be out of atleast $500 but I think even more which i'm not willing to spend on audio because I personally think that a working monsoon system sounds good even though the speakers suck all i'm looking to do is get just a little more bass for a reasonable price which I figure I would spend about $100-175 with the 8" sub set up that im asking about now I'm asking because I don't want to make the mistakes that I have made already by buyng replacement monsoon subs and Infinity 63.7 which don't even produce the bass that factory subs produce and they will be up forsale very soon. Thanks