Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help! AS62Q Wiring..

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I saw that 94dB rating for the AS62Q's. But since these are 2-way speakers, that spec could be refering to the tweeter. The woofer could be somewhere down around 85dB. Since the amplifier has a built in low-pass filter, your really only driving the woofer. This could explain what CamaroZ is experiencing. Another possibility is that the amp or the wiring is bad.

I noticed that Alpine and Audiobahn use the 1W/1M standard, which for a 4 ohm speaker is a 2Vrms input (1W = 1.414Vrms for a 2 ohm speaker). Unfortunately, they don't give you the frequency they measure this at.

For higher end speakers with a fairly flat frequency response, this doesn't matter. You'll notice many higher end speakers list a "3dB freq response" in addition to (or instead of) a standard freq response. The difference is that the non-annoted freq response just tells you what frequecies the speaker is capable of reproducing, while the 3dB F.R. tells you that all frequencies within that range will be reproduced at roughly the same loudness.

Of course, all this assumes that Audiobahn isn't fudging the sensitivity spec.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright I think my amp is f0cked the hatch speaker hookups drive it fine..
Old 01-07-2006, 03:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you getting the low frequencies driving from the rear hatch hook-ups? Those are full-range signals unlike the sail speaker outputs.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Are you getting the low frequencies driving from the rear hatch hook-ups? Those are full-range signals unlike the sail speaker outputs.
Yup, I also found out my old Delco Mid-Bass speakers still work I hooked them up to my home audio system... Sounds like the Amp then since it doesn't drive the Delcos or Audiobahns hard?
Old 01-07-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be my guess.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
That would be my guess.
Any suggestions for a aftermarket amp?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hadn't given much thought to amplifiers. As I don't plan on changing mine unless it breaks. However, if you're keeping the stock head unit, you might think about getting a used Monsoon off of ebay. Would be the simplest and likely the cheapest fix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Monso...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-07-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm I just cant justify buying another shitbox amp.. i have no idea why mine just crapped the bed like that Anyone have any info on aftermarket amps? Also going to replace my head unit sometime because the cd player is a bit screwy also would like a head unit with IPOD hookups