Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best non-alarm theft deterrent?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree....Im more worried about a Jacking.....

FYI I bought a "Cyclops" and it should have it installed by thursday I'll report back
Old 11-29-2006, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cheap and easy solution is just a master power switch. Lots of racers are required to have external battery switches. It would be kind of like that, but internal and hidden. I am installing one of these on my wifes car, because she has an electrical problem that neither me, 2 dealers, or a company full of electrical experts can figure out so... I'll just cut main power every night. No battery, means no drain. Later on, I realized this is a great theft deterent too. Sure all they have to do is find the switch, but what if they can't? It's even better if the switch is hard to recognize. I like the cigarette lighter idea someone mentioned.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Ok...Ive found MY answer

I bought a Cyclops Immobilizer...its the best thing since sliced bread.

It uses a relay which replaces EITHER your fuel pump relay OR your starter relay...

Installation is
1. Pull Old relay
2. Plug in new relay
3. Done

You press your key fob button ( which is the size of a 50 cents piece and about 1/4 thick)..like thsi but round to start your car, you have a 30 sec window to do so after which you need to press it again

Im keeping the real relay in the rear compartment of my car just in case of key fob battery failure etc ...and Ive found a hiding place for the fob.

So now If someone trys to jack my car....I can just turn it off or hand them the keys get out and walk away...Car no start!

Last edited by BitViper; 11-30-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BitViper
Ok...Ive found MY answer

I bought a Cyclops Immobilizer...its the best thing since sliced bread.

It uses a relay which replaces EITHER your fuel pump relay OR your starter relay...

Installation is
1. Pull Old relay
2. Plug in new relay
3. Done

You press your key fob button ( which is the size of a 50 cents piece and about 1/4 thick)..like thsi but round to start your car, you have a 30 sec window to do so after which you need to press it again

Im keeping the real relay in the rear compartment of my car just in case of key fob battery failure etc ...and Ive found a hiding place for the fob.

So now If someone trys to jack my car....I can just turn it off or hand them the keys get out and walk away...Car no start!
Those are great as long as the crook doesn't know about it. If he does, theyare easy to bypass. Pop relay out of fog light or whatever and replace the Immobilizer one. I would recommend removing any dot or sticker from the new relay so it looks exactly like the others.

Another cool thing is that you can take the fob apart and run the contacts to any switch you want. Seat switch, hidden switch under the brake pedal activated by toe, whatever. Even a pressure switch under the upholstery that is not seen. Those in the know just press that area and bam, she starts. They are cool devices. Didn't we already talk about them earlier? I can't remember.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Pop relay out of fog light or whatever and replace the Immobilizer one. I would recommend removing any dot or sticker from the new relay so it looks exactly like the others.
Are they the same?

Last edited by BitViper; 12-01-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Launching!

I've heard a lot of good things about the Autolock but have never bought one. I kept trying to convince my mom to buy one for her car so I could test it out....

JasonWW... how many people have commented on how hot your damn sig is? God damn.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are they the same?
Most vehicles have a non-essential relay that is the same. Maybe a fog light, horn or something. I haven't checked the f-bodies. Hopefully we do not. That way it's harder for the crook.

Here is the inside of one, BTW. Lot of circuitry going on in there.

I think these devices are kick ***. We all need hood locks of some kind to really help, though.

Originally Posted by splitplug
JasonWW... how many people have commented on how hot your damn sig is? God damn.
It's new, just trying it out.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

more info on the ravelco
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...tem/index.html

btw jasonww i love the sig
Old 12-01-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
How about the 70's approach. Install an 8track player, **** carpet on the dash, and tie-dyed seat covers (with peace signs). And don't forget about the fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror. lol
Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by splitplug
I've heard a lot of good things about the Autolock but have never bought one. I kept trying to convince my mom to buy one for her car so I could test it out....

Have had one for 5 years......they are great..NO WAY can you get one off without a torch or many carbide hack saw blades + 3 hours to do it...
Old 12-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Launching!

So I put a relay inline on the cigarette lighter ground wire. When I press in the cigarette lighter it trips the relay. But, the cigarette lighter doesnt work anymore. Why doesnt it work anymore and how do I get it to work?

Im using a 30amp automotive relay.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NoTicketsPlease
So I put a relay inline on the cigarette lighter ground wire. When I press in the cigarette lighter it trips the relay. But, the cigarette lighter doesnt work anymore. Why doesnt it work anymore and how do I get it to work?

Im using a 30amp automotive relay.
Do you understand how both circuits work? If the relay is open then the cig will not work. Simple as that.

You might try hooking the relay up with it tapped onto the ground wire. Reconnect the cig ground like it should be, then tap one side of the relay trigger to the ground wire and the other side trigger to ground (85 and 86). When you push in the cig lighter, it will work normally and it will supply pos. current to the relay. That should do it, but I can't say for sure as I've never tried it.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Most vehicles have a non-essential relay that is the same. Maybe a fog light, horn or something. I haven't checked the f-bodies. Hopefully we do not. That way it's harder for the crook.

Here is the inside of one, BTW. Lot of circuitry going on in there.

I think these devices are kick ***. We all need hood locks of some kind to really help, though.

It's new, just trying it out.
Yep..look jutst like that....

Autolocks are great.but their not going to stop someone from jacking your car while your in it...

Scenario..your driving down the road, come to a stop iand some person says get out...you cant say waita miniute..gotta put on my autolock..

Or if you pull your Ralveco hes going to see it gone or you doin it...

with the cyclops..I turn the car off or hand the keys to them and run....with the fob in my pocket..the cars not going anywhere.

Autolocks are great when your parking the car ..but I wanted somthing a bit more flexable
Old 12-02-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have a neat anti car-jacking device.

It's called a Glock.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Do you understand how both circuits work? If the relay is open then the cig will not work. Simple as that.

You might try hooking the relay up with it tapped onto the ground wire. Reconnect the cig ground like it should be, then tap one side of the relay trigger to the ground wire and the other side trigger to ground (85 and 86). When you push in the cig lighter, it will work normally and it will supply pos. current to the relay. That should do it, but I can't say for sure as I've never tried it.
No, electric current always follows the path of least resistance to ground. If you reconnect the original lighter ground and then tap into it for power to the relay coil, no current will flow through the coil. Even the small resistance of the coil is more than the straight path to ground so all the current will continue to flow through the original ground path.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Yep..look jutst like that....

Autolocks are great.but their not going to stop someone from jacking your car while your in it...

Scenario..your driving down the road, come to a stop iand some person says get out...you cant say waita miniute..gotta put on my autolock..

Or if you pull your Ralveco hes going to see it gone or you doin it...

with the cyclops..I turn the car off or hand the keys to them and run....with the fob in my pocket..the cars not going anywhere.

Autolocks are great when your parking the car ..but I wanted somthing a bit more flexable
Interesting...although I'm not sure I'd even want to shut off the car with a gun in my face. I think the carjacker would expect you to just get out and leave the car running.

What would be great would be a fob or RFID tag that just needed to be in the area (in your pocket) rather than have to push a button. If you used it for the fuel pump relay, it would have to be on all the time for the car to continue to run. That way you could get out of the car and run away - the car would shut down after you got out of range of the relay's receiver.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

ttt for future reference.

-B
Old 12-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Here is my setup. I guess I dont understand why the cig lighter doesnt work. When the relay is triggered it closes the 30/51 - 87 circuit. The 85 - 86 circuit stays closed as well correct? Doesnt that mean current is still running through the cig lighter and it should heat up? What am I missing here?

Attached Thumbnails Best non-alarm theft deterrent?-cig-relay-diagram.jpg  
Old 12-02-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^I cant help you, but on another note, is there any way to prevent someone with like a flatbed from towing a car? I saw a sticker on a new mercedes that said not to tow it, but I don't know if that's anything or not.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jimmy 2 Times
how is an aftermarket alarm going to "really annoying in terms of liveability."

i dont get it?
Well i have to insert a computer chip under the sterring colom and it gets real anoying when i have to put it in and out when i park some were. It's a Viper alarm, don't know much about it since my brother was the previous owner and he had gotten it and when he buys stuff for his cars he dosen't care about it as long as it dose the job and its expensive.

1997 Trans Am A4

Specs:
Full Borla Exhuast
Ram Air Box
Air-foil

Quick Reply: Best non-alarm theft deterrent?