Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alpine SPS-17C2 for Monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 11:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alpine SPS-17C2 for Monsoon?

Ok, so I read the sticky about how the Alpine SPS-170A are kickass as door speaker replacements. I didn't find them anywhere in town, apparently they've been discontinued, and some salesman told me the SPS-17C2 was the replacement model.

Anyone know if these would fit? And if they'd sound right?
Thanks.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

170's are still all over the place on the internet.

If you insist on buying local all you need to do is ask to see the back of one of the speakers. If the tweeter is still wired separately through a capacitor such that you can wire the woofer and tweeter up individually, then they should be fine.

There's a very high chance that this is unchanged with the new model, and they will be just fine, you just need to check.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The SPS-17C2 is just the 2006 version of the SPS-170A's.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

It's a long shot, but does anyone have a pic of the back of the 170A's so that I know what to look for?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have a picture, bu you should see a small capacitor near the speaker terminals. One lead is solder to the positive terninal, the other side to the positive tweeter wire. If I remember correctly, the tweeter wires come out of the center of the woofer magnet. This makes them easy to get to in order to bi-wire them.

Here's a detailed thread on how to wire them up for the stock system:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/397043-highly-detailed-instructions-sps-170as-camaro.html
Old 02-20-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ovidiu, just realize that the Alpines were only popular because they were:

1.) Easy to mod for bi-wiring
2.) Widely available
3.) Not too expensive

If you can look at several speakers in-hand - any speaker that allows for bi-wiring is ok to use. The problem is that some co-axials run the woofers and tweeters through the same wires that punch through the cone itself - then the tweeter wiring dangles off that punch area and up to the tweeter. This is a very common construction and there's no real easy way to wire up the tweeter and woofer seperately on such speakers.

The Aplines gained alot of momentum because they were known to be moddable. I'm sure there are plenty of others. If you go to a local shop it should be a pretty reasonable question to pose, you might find something else you like instead.

I have the Alpines. At the $50 a pair I paid for them, I am happy with them. But I think the tweeter is a little harsh and the woofer isn't particularly solid, either. There might be better options with some research.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:11 PM
FormerVendor

Ok, I'll stop by best buy tonight and try to see what the back of the speaker looks like.

Originally Posted by todddchi
Ovidiu, just realize that the Alpines were only popular because they were:

1.) Easy to mod for bi-wiring
2.) Widely available
3.) Not too expensive
... that's a lot like what I'm looking for

Originally Posted by todddchi
If you can look at several speakers in-hand - any speaker that allows for bi-wiring is ok to use. The problem is that some co-axials run the woofers and tweeters through the same wires that punch through the cone itself - then the tweeter wiring dangles off that punch area and up to the tweeter. This is a very common construction and there's no real easy way to wire up the tweeter and woofer seperately on such speakers.

The Aplines gained alot of momentum because they were known to be moddable. I'm sure there are plenty of others. If you go to a local shop it should be a pretty reasonable question to pose, you might find something else you like instead.

I have the Alpines. At the $50 a pair I paid for them, I am happy with them. But I think the tweeter is a little harsh and the woofer isn't particularly solid, either. There might be better options with some research.
There might be better options, but I'm not a big audio connaisseur, so I'd rather just go for the 'tried and tested' approach. I'm not worried about the subtle sound quality issues that you mentioned; the ones that are currently on have been blown for a while and I had faded the sound all the way to the back.

If I don't feel comfortable with what I see at best buy, I'll take your advice and order some 170A's from the web.

Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The other popular replacement speaker for the Camaro doors is the Infinity KAPPA 62.7i. I don't know how they compare sound wise, as I've not heard them. THe only advantage in them I see is that it comes with seperate connections for woofer and tweeter. This makes bi-wiring a snap. OF course you'll need the included external crossover for the tweeter side. They are a bit more expensive, though.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:13 PM
FormerVendor

EPIC IS KING!

Pics of the speakers

and the back with the connectors:

Looks like it has the capacitor and separate wiring for the tweeter/subwoofer. I'll let y'all know how it when when I install them, probably this weekend.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:55 PM
FormerVendor

Ok, just a little update, thanks to all you guys' help, I installed the passenger side one tonight, and its sounds awesome (or so I think). I expect the drivers side to go without a snag tomorrow probably.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

check pm!!! HELP!!
Old 02-22-2006, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

On The Tree !!

WOOO WOOOOOO!!!