Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Plug and play speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plug and play speakers?

Are there any direct replacement, plug and play aftermarket speakers for my stock 02 Camaro SS? I plan on keeping the stock monsoon HU and amp, but want to replace the speakers for a little better sound quality. I do not want to do any wiring or soldering at all.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The short answer is "NO". There are no aftermarket plug and play replacement speakers for the Monsoon system that you can just drop in without any work.

There are plenty of threads discussing the various aftermarket speakers on here. And lots of info on installing them to use with the stock system.

I've replaced all the speakers in my SS. It doesn't require an engineering degree for you to do the same.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I realize simple wiring doesn't take a degree, but I don't want to "hack" this car. If at some time in the future I decide to return the car to stock, I want to be able to have that easy option. Thanks for the reply though, I guess I'm stuck with the stock speakers then.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just de-soldered the pigtails off of the stock speakers and used them for the my replacements. The sail panel speakers have the connector built into the speaker, so I cut the harness connector off with just enough wire that I could splice it back in if necessary.

ALthough I can't imagine why I'd ever want to put the stock speakers back in.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not sure if you can buy speakers for any brand of car that are plug and play. About all speakers now have a built in connector on the speaker itself. When I added the Infinity 62.7i's it was as simple as cutting the stock wires and soldering or crimping some connectors on it to the wires that came with the new speakers. Even if the car was sold later and you wanted to put the stock speakers back in, it would be the same way. Resale value would not even be a issue, nobody is going to remove the door panel to check unless the speaker isn't working.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

So which speakers work best with the stock HU and monsoon amp then? If I'm going to do it I'm going to replace them all.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

If you want it to go in like stock, I really like the Infinity 62.7i's I put in the doors. They hook up just like stock and you don't even need the crossover supplied(cut the wires off the crossover to use to connect to the stock wires), because the tweeter already has a crossover on it and the Monsoon amp that supplies power to the woofer is crossed over. They sound better than the stock door speakers and highs sound much better. You can rotate the tweeters for better imaging and you can turn them for a couple more decibles of highs. They are also 2ohm and very efficient. No modifications are needed to install them into the doors of the Camaro(98-02, I have no idea about older year Camaro's). The Infinity 62.7i is the only 2ohm speaker I could find that is a direct replacement(I looked for over 2 years). People use 4ohm Alpines too with some modifications to make them work. You can get the 62.7i for under $95 a set off ebay with 3 day shipping. After I installed the 62.7i's up front, I noticed a connection was bad in my sailpanel subs, so I decided to order another set off ebay. They fit great in the sailpanel and really the only thing you need to do is add a piece of sound deadening to the bottom of the speaker hole(for some reason GM went cheap and added a piece of carboard to fill in a small square under the speaker hole, since they decided to run the speaker wire through the front instead of the back). Fill in the square with something and make sure you run the wire behind the speakers first. Then what I did to get highs, is I disconnected the far rear 4inch speakers and added wires to reach the tweeter in the sailpanel on the 62.7i. The sailpanel doesn't have a tweeter stock. You don't even really need the far rear 4inch speakers, if anything, they distort when turned up and make the system sound bad. I even tried adding some Pioneers to the far rear and they still sounded like crap. If you need any help, feel free to email me anytime. I suggest you get 1 set of the 62.7i's, put them in the doors and when you hear them, you can decide from there. Sound quality wise, just adding the 62.7i's was enough in the front doors. Adding them to the sailpanel just made it sound more like surround sound. I did have to turn the tweeters down to the lowest setting in the sailpanel, adding the extra decibles of highs was a little too much. The 62.7i works in the sailpanel like I said...I have the bass turned down to play higher HZ off my Kenwood HU, so they sound like a totally different system, but bass is better than stock and you can't hear the distortion so easy. I added a small piece of sound deadening behind the speaker in the sailpanel...GM cut a hole back there and makes the airspace pretty large, so I covered it to make it smaller to get the 62.7i's to sound better. Front doors take about 1/2 hour each side to replace due to removing the door panel and about the same amount of time for the sailpanel since you have to add the piece under the speaker to fill in the square and run the tweeter wires from the rear. I suggested these to about 4 people now and all came back and all said they liked the way they sound better than stock(even people with the stock HU). I even had a guy in my Camaro club sit in my car and listen to the Infinity's up front, since his were blown. Then I offered him my stock door speakers for free, since I had them still in the back seat and he said it wasn't even worth adding stock ones back in after he heard the 62.7i's and would be ordering some.

Last edited by rotwiler; 03-01-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My speaker setup is:

Doors - Alpine SPS-170A's

Sails - Pioneer Premier TS-M7PRS's

Hatch - Alpine SPS-100A's

Unlike Rotwiler's experience, replacing the rear hatch speakers greatly improved the overall sound of my system.