Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Auto Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Headlights?

How do I turn them ***** to manual? I want to ride with just parking lights for the factor.

Blake
Old 03-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You know what? This question has been asked and answered a lot but I was going to repeat the answer anyway until I read your last sentence. Any fool that will drive around with just parking lights when they should be running head lights is not cool - just stupid.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/460424-headlights.html
Old 03-08-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine. See THIS thread.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You know what? This question has been asked and answered a lot but I was going to repeat the answer anyway until I read your last sentence. Any fool that will drive around with just parking lights when they should be running head lights is not cool - just stupid.
Do other peoples parking lights taunt, make fun of, or call your parking lights on your car names? I never said anything about driving around in the DARK with my parking lights on. I think that is a given. Oh, and if you see anyone with just parking lights on in the dark (i.e. "when the sun or anything reflecting or projecting light from the sun is no longer visible") they are initiating a gang member, don't flash your brights at them as they will shoot you. You are welcome for this public service anouncement,

Last edited by I <3 80057; 03-09-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by I <3 80057
Do other peoples parking lights taunt, make fun of, or call your parking lights on your car names? I never said anything about driving around in the DARK with my parking lights on. I think that is a given. Oh, and if you see anyone with just parking lights on in the dark (i.e. "when the sun or anything reflecting or projecting light from the sun is no longer visible") they are initiating a gang member, don't flash your brights at them as they will shoot you. You are welcome for this public service anouncement,
Well, DUH!! You have daytime running lights when it's not dark so what is the purpose of parking lights? And your automatic headlights don't go on when it's daylight so you would have no reason to disable them if you just want to use parking lights during the day. So basically, your response is .

There are some very good reasons for wanting to disable automatic headlights (entering a military base is one) but, judging by the initial question and your response, you obviously don't have one.

BTW, that gang thing is an urban legend. Try checking the Urban Legend Reference site.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Well, DUH!! You have daytime running lights when it's not dark so what is the purpose of parking lights? And your automatic headlights don't go on when it's daylight so you would have no reason to disable them if you just want to use parking lights during the day. So basically, your response is .

There are some very good reasons for wanting to disable automatic headlights (entering a military base is one) but, judging by the initial question and your response, you obviously don't have one.

BTW, that gang thing is an urban legend. Try checking the Urban Legend Reference site.

Well im the same way when the sun is just starting to go down i dont want my headlights on just my parking lights. my car always turns them on when there is way to much light out. Whitebird if you actually think before you speak you wont look like a idiot his question is legit..
Old 03-09-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to agree with Whitebird. Since when did stupidity become "COOL"??
Old 03-10-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mighty presumptuous of you guys to automatically assume the person doing this mod will operate his lights in a way you don't approve of. And then to call him stupid without even asking what his intentions are... Well, I've seen better manners.

I did the mod. You don't know me or how I use it. You gonna jump to conclusions and call me stupid, too?

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 03-10-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Mighty presumptuous of you guys to automatically assume the person doing this mod will operate his lights in a way you don't approve of. And then to call him stupid without even asking what his intentions are... Well, I've seen better manners.

I did the mod. You don't know me or how I use it. You gonna jump to conclusions and call me stupid, too?
His words seemed pretty clear to me:

Originally Posted by I <3 80057
How do I turn them ***** to manual? I want to ride with just parking lights for the factor.

Blake
If he's not doing this in the dark, he wouldn't need to ask about the headlight mod. Anyone riding at night without headlights is not only breaking the law, he's a danger to himself and other motorists.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

most people disable them when they get halos, or if they just dont like them coming on when its still light out. but just to cruise with the parking lamps is odd.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
If he's not doing this in the dark, he wouldn't need to ask about the headlight mod. Anyone riding at night without headlights is not only breaking the law, he's a danger to himself and other motorists.
It's not the mod, it's the user. If you assume he is going to drive in the dark with only DRLs and/or parking lights, then you need to assume anybody that wants that mod is going to do the same.

There's a big, wide realm between legal dark and all the times the mod would be useful. Not to mention wanting to sit and idle with the lights off. All of those instances, I would say loudly and clearly, are none of your business.

And really, I don't hear anything sinster or anything about wanting to drive illegally and kill people in this..."I want to ride with just parking lights for the factor. "

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 03-11-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

I have also done this mod but only because during the winter, I like to start my car and let it warm up in the morning before going to work. I don't need the headlights and foglights and everything on while it's just sitting there. And when I'm ready to leave, I flip a switch and in about 10 seconds, they come on and I go. But honestly, is it anyone else's business but his about how he wants to use them? He's just asking how to do the mod.

Just my .02
Old 03-11-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MR. I.

Show me where I said there was no legitimate reason to convert the headlights to manual operation. I don't understand why you're getting your panties in a bunch.

I'll admit it is possible that I misinterpreted I <3 80057's words, and that "ride with just parking lights for the factor. " doesn't mean something immature and stupid.

I'm sorry if this makes me sound like an Old Fart, but I've been around enough to know that when a young man starts talking about doing something just because it makes him look cool, he is almost always refering to something immature and stupid. And often dangerous. Yes, I've done my share of immature and stupid things in my life. I'm grateful that I can say that none of my acts of stupidity ever injured or killed anyone. If trying to discourage someone else from doing something immature and stupid makes me an a$$hole, I can live with that.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 01CamaroV6
I have also done this mod but only because during the winter, I like to start my car and let it warm up in the morning before going to work. I don't need the headlights and foglights and everything on while it's just sitting there. And when I'm ready to leave, I flip a switch and in about 10 seconds, they come on and I go. But honestly, is it anyone else's business but his about how he wants to use them? He's just asking how to do the mod.

Just my .02
In that case all you needed to do is use your parking brake (a good practice anyway). If you start the car with the parking brake on then neither the DRLs nor the automatic headlights will come on until you release the brake.

I think HiTechGent summed up my point quite well. As I said in my first post, there have been quite a number of people who have asked how to do this mod and I normally post the instructions without a problem. In those cases I just assume that they have some legitimate reason for doing so. In this case, I <3 80057 clearly stated that his reason was mainly for looks which implies using them at inappropriate times (otherwise where is the "cool" factor?). Besides, I see far too many people who put on their parking lights at dusk and then forget to switch on the headlights after it gets dark (easy to do in the city with all the street lights). Don't forget that it is illegal in many states to drive with just parking lights (that's why they're called "parking lights").
Old 03-11-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

While it is my opinion that no one should disable safety features because they are there for your and others saftey, the original question has been answered. This thread is done.