Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best place to buy stereo equip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006 | 10:37 AM
Staging Lane
15 Year Member

Default Best place to buy stereo equip?

Like the title says, who has the best prices? eBay has good prices, but a little skeptical after being screwed a couple times. Where do you guys shop?
Old 03-18-2006 | 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's hard to say. I usually just do a web search for the item I want and go with the vendor with the lowest shipped price. As long as you pay with a REAL credit card (not a debit card), you have some protection. If you don't get the item, you can file a dispute with the bank that issued the card. Note: I don't trust folks who bill credit cards thru a 3rd party such as as Paypal. If buying a high dollar item from an auction site like Ebay, Ask the seller if he/she is willing to use ebay's escrow service. The fee is worth it for the extra security.
Old 03-18-2006 | 11:30 AM
On The Tree

from me!! lol i have some really nice high end equipment for sale right now. ebay is safe pay with paypal and if you get worked then just challenge it through paypal. Best advice from ebay is look for a good seller. if they dont have99%+ look into them other then that ebay is rather safe...i have gone through about 20 grand of audio equipment on ebay and only got worked twice, once got resolved and the other i just let go cause it was only $12
Old 03-18-2006 | 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I purchased all of mine equipment on eBay and had no issues with the transactions. All of the eqipment was new and I used retailers with really high feedback (>99%). Essentially, the equipment was half price compared to places like Best Buy, Circuit City, Crutchfield and so on.
Old 03-20-2006 | 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blacker
I purchased all of mine equipment on eBay and had no issues with the transactions. All of the eqipment was new and I used retailers with really high feedback (>99%). Essentially, the equipment was half price compared to places like Best Buy, Circuit City, Crutchfield and so on.
Same here. I just cant stand to pay the amount BB and circuit city wants for stuff. I have had nothing but great experiences on Ebay.
Old 03-20-2006 | 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I buy simple things off eBay. Things that don't have moving parts, or are sure to be good if they are factory sealed. Wiring kits are DIRT cheap, and there are some great deals to be had on amps.

I wouldn't buy head units or speakers from eBay. Too fragile, and they wear out.

Great eBay items:
- Wiring kits, fuses, circuit breakers. Probably 20% of what your local install shop sells them for. Markup on wiring and accessories is insane at stores.

Good eBay items:
- Amps from high feedback sellers that confirm working order
- I've gotten - Alpine V12 357 5 channel for $75 shipped, and a Memphis Belle "baby belle" 5 channel for $160 shipped. Both of those are about 25% of new. Killer.

Ask that they ship UPS insured so you can make a claim with UPS if there are problems.

Sound domain, etronics, and crutchfield are all on my "ok" list for net vendors. Realize that many of the cheapest vendors are not "factory authorized" so you won't have a manufacturer warranty. If the price is low enough, it can be worth it. Like a $50 set of coaxials or something. Probably not a good idea for a $600 head unit.

Last edited by todddchi; 03-20-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2006 | 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.onlinecarstereo.com
Old 03-20-2006 | 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Anything your looking for in particular? I am a dealer of Focal, Audioson, JL Audio, Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Boston Acoustics, and Polk.
Old 03-20-2006 | 10:41 PM
Launching!

I've never had a real bad issue with buying from Ebay (I don't care to sell anymore though). I don't mind buying electronics but I am sure to check not just their feedback but what they buy and sell. I like to see if they are trying to unload something that they replaced with another purchase...unfortunatly this happens alot.

oh yeah, Maddboost you have a new PM!