Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Which radar band??? X, K or Ka???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which radar band??? X, K or Ka???

.....just answered a question r/e which radar detector is best and it got me thinking. I live in Ventura County, California and the ONLY band of radar that the cops use around here is Ka band. At least I have never seen a cop when my X, K or Lazar goes off. ALWAYS Ka band {Ventura County, L.A County, Santa Barbara County, & on the drive to Las Vegas} What do they use in other areas??? Anyone ever pick up the cops on X or K band??? I was even thinking of calling Valentine and asking if he could disable the X & K band. bill
Old 03-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Here in Florida the State Troopers use Ka but the local police use K band mostly. There are still a few that have X band but that is becoming less common every day. I still like to have X band detection because many of those automatic "this is your speed" roadside signs use X band and it just reminds me to watch my speed.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea here in tx, mainly Ka or K band, though just recently the po pos have got new laser taggers. I was driving down a access rd. when my detector went crazy on the laser alert. I slowed down and got to catch them tryin to entrap me........ lol

X bands keep popping up, but yea its mostly the side of the road speed alerts.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

Out here in NC I frequently see the local cops using X and K bands while the state boys use Ka and K. I wouldn't worry about disabling the band b/c you never can tell what a cop may use until it's too late and then you'll wish you had the extra coverage. If your concerned with the detector going off an false signals, IMO I would just make a mental note where you get the false signals and disregard it when they pop up.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Here in Florida the State Troopers use Ka but the local police use K band mostly. There are still a few that have X band but that is becoming less common every day. I still like to have X band detection because many of those automatic "this is your speed" roadside signs use X band and it just reminds me to watch my speed.

Same for Monterey Bay, CAli and SF bay area.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

The X band is only used in New Jersey now (lucky for me ) Every other band is fair game though. Watch out for Troopers using the Ku band now. It just started this year.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Around where I drive (East Texas) all the city police/constable/sheriff's use K, only troopers use Ka. Haven't seen any still running X, just stores and the roadside speed warning signs.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ultraz
Same for Monterey Bay, CAli and SF bay area.
.....Wow, so some Northern Calif. area's use X & K? Glad I posted this. Thank you as my sister moved to SF & I could go visit her. I won't see about having it disabled. Oh, I forgot, the speed signs around here are K band, but the cops only use Ka band. This reminds me, do the Airplane Police use Laser??? I've only had my Laser go off twice & both times it was out on a deserted highway that is policed by aircraft.... Thanks for all the replys bill
Old 03-22-2006, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by billsbird
.....Wow, so some Northern Calif. area's use X & K? Glad I posted this. Thank you as my sister moved to SF & I could go visit her. I won't see about having it disabled. Oh, I forgot, the speed signs around here are K band, but the cops only use Ka band. This reminds me, do the Airplane Police use Laser??? I've only had my Laser go off twice & both times it was out on a deserted highway that is policed by aircraft.... Thanks for all the replys bill
Planes are like vascar, measuring the time it takes for you to go from point A to point B, and calculating your speed. Laser can't work from a plane because the target is not moving directly toward (or away from) the laser device.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mbrownin
Planes are like vascar, measuring the time it takes for you to go from point A to point B, and calculating your speed. Laser can't work from a plane because the target is not moving directly toward (or away from) the laser device.

.....Thank You, bill
Old 04-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Tulsa, Ok cops use K, Ka bands mostly K. troopers Vg2 & Ka. X band always goes off at traffic lights. only motorcycle cops use laser here.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buffalo, NY, Gotta love the cops.... So far this week alone I've been hit with X, K, KA, and LASER (VG2)...and IM NOT JOKING!!! NYS Troopers use the KA mostly and Sometimes the LASER. Sheriffs use the K and KA, and the city boys use the X, K, and KA. DAMN PIGS....... great I just probably screwed myself by calling them pigs (going to get a ticket now)

Gotta love my VALENTINE1 !!!

Quick Reply: Which radar band??? X, K or Ka???