Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Amp Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Amp Upgrade

I have a 2002 Grand Am Gt with the Monsoon sound system. I know that there is a 200W amp and a 500W amp for the monsoon systems, and I've read that the one in the Grand Am is the 200W one. The part number for the amp in my car is 22674744. Is this the 200W amp? If it is, can I switch it for the 500W amp like you can with the f-bodies? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have my parts manual available right now, but I can tell you that there were only two F-body monsoon amps - 97, and 98-02. The 200/500 ratings were all marketing. If the part number is the same as 98-02 you already have the upgrade you are considering.

For sound quality the monsoon amp is not the weak link. The factory speakers are first in line, then the head unit. The head unit is actually responsible for a lot of the distortion because it cannot feed a clean enough signal to the amp. If you are looking for sound quality then these should be replaced first.

The monsoon amp provides roughly 30-40 RMS per channel. It is definitely stronger than most aftermarket head unit amps, and can sound very good wired to a aftermarket deck and speakers.

If you are looking for bass, you're better off biting the bullet and getting into subs.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I didn't realize that I already had the best amp for the monsoon...I do have 2 10" subs and 2 12" subs laying around with an amp for both sets. I plan on hooking up the 12" subs to the stock system and just leaving it at that since I don't feel like dropping the money for anything else...btw anyone want to buy an Alpine CDA-9831? Comes with auxilary input, remote, and faceplate storage case. Make me an offer...I need money Also selling two crappy 10" subs and an amp made for them...

Quick Reply: Monsoon Amp Upgrade