Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio no worky?? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Radio no worky?? Please help

I am by no means an electronics expert, so this one is above me. My radio just cut out one day. The HU works like normal, just no sound. A few days later, it came back on. Yesterday morning, it cut out again. I checked all the fuses that I know about and wiggled the wires around the amp. Every once in a while, the speakers will pop like they want to work again, but that's all. What could this be and what is the fix? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am sure it is not my HU because it seems to be working like normal.....just no sound.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Anyone have any idea?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Before you go and buy a new amp, pull the amp input harness, and make a couple jumpers to hook up a speaker to the head unit outputs. The wiring maps can be found on the net and here. By doing this you can verify that the monsoon head unit is sending the proper signals to the amp - the signals are just high level speaker outputs like any standard head unit. Any 4 ohm car speaker or 8 ohm home speaker is fine to use to check.

If you can get four (or even 1, really) good output from the head unit, then it's probably your amp. Check fusing and connections, then ideally try swapping a friend's amp. Maybe test drive a local bird and swap that one, as a check, heh.

If you find it to be the amp they are rather plentiful on ebay. All 98-02 camaro amps are the same. 97 was different. I cannot verify this for sure for Firebirds.