Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new speaker from gm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question new speaker from gm?

i read somewhere that the original speakers that came in the 4th gen f-bodies equipped with the monsoon were not able to handle the wattage that the amp pushed to them, which causes them to blow pretty often. I also read that gm came out with a new spearker with higher power handling that can handle the amp. is there any truth to this? i'm just wondering because i remember when i first got my car, my stereo sounded great. now if i slide the low end of the EQ up anywhere past halfway, it sounds like trash. i'm just wondering. pretty sure i've junked the sail panel speakers. any help would rock!

thanks,

bill
Old 04-07-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'e heard that rumor. Don't know if it's true. But does it matter when you can get a pair of aftermarket speakers for what you'll pay GM for one OEM speaker? I like the aftermarket speakers I have. So, I have no interest in the matter, anyway.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Teching In

It seems to me that the stock speakers were designed badly from the beginning. I personally wouldn't run anything other than a sub at less than 4ohms. GM made the speakers 2ohms (thus more wattage) to try to get them to be louder and you crank it too much, they won't last long.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got some of the much talked about new alpines and they worked great cheaper then GM too the wiring even for my anti wiring self was a breeze.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

If you are looking to replace the sail panel speakers, do not do so w/ just any 6 1/2 inch speaker or it will sound like ****. The set up for the sail panel 6 1/2's is for bass and mids, therefor you should order a 6 1/2 inch sub from fosgate or JL audio. They cost a little more, but will be well worth it, they blow away the stock speaker sound by miles. You should be able to tell by comparing the stock one that came out to the newer one you are putting in by looking at the magnet size on the back of the speaker. If you have a replacement pioneer or alpine or whatever and the magnet depth is smaller than the stock speaker it will not produce enough bass, or atleast will sound alot softer than stock. The JL audio 6 1/2 subs are hard to come by, but they will really wake up your system.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

I've wondered about this, too. Do those Fosgates/JLs bolt right in, or do you have to redrill?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rear speakers are actually 6.75". And you need to watch the mounting depth.

Rockford Fosgate discontinued their 6" subs 2 or 3 years ago.

The JL Audio 6W0's have a rather deep mounting depth. So may require some modification to the car to make them fit. They also require 30W as a minimum (Optimum is about 75W, more than the Monsoon amp is capable), so at full volume, they're are not going to scream. Likely you will have to fade your HU grossly to the back channel.

I have Pioneer Premier TS-M7PRS midbasses in my sails and love them.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have heard the rumor but I have not found any truth to it.
I would just go with some aftermarkets.