Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

i want lots of BASS!! Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh god..not type r's...

us amps has moved their operation overseas..so, the quality has gone down hill..operation is run out of california now...us amps actually just bought some share in re audio not too long ago..

for the price of that fosgate amp, you can get more than 2x the power else where..with less of a foot print.

If you want all out SPL, ive got 4 MT 15"s i need to get rid of..

Old 04-20-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah **** sound quality i just want in your face bass
Old 04-21-2006, 05:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Matt281
oh god..not type r's..
Yeah, that's what I thought, as I have in the car audio scene for about 12 years- both in sales and install. I've installed several systems either for myself or friends. I do know what quality equipment is.. I originally was going to recommend some RE subs to him, but they are too expensive. About the type R's- I thought (possibly due to the name) they were some garbage that Alpine dreamed up, but have you ever picked one up and held it? I just installed a singlr 10" in my wife's truck, and I've seen a 12" at Best Buy. The subs are some serious pieces of work. They have large motors the size of small birthday cakes. The surrounds are thick rubber. Nice looking speaker as well. Those Resonant Engineering MT's you have are nice subs as well.
for the price of that fosgate amp, you can get more than 2x the power else where..with less of a foot print.
Where? I Linked him to some used amps off Ebay... (MMATS, RF) And actually I was looking for some used US Amps amplifiers, but did not see any. What amps do you suggest that will put out more current at a lower price?
Old 04-21-2006, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all out SPL I suggest the following brands.

Cerwin Vega (I suggest, Strokers)
Digital Designs
MMATS

1-2 subs from one of these brands will get you serious bass.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

obviously, youre not aware that the solo x has been in many world championship winning sq vehicles..Its all in the install, obviously if you throw it in a enormous box with an absurd amount of port area, tuned really high..its gonna sound like trash..just like any other sub.

www.reaudio.com
ROFL, there's more speakers in sq than just the sub. Did you ever own them? Than how do you know? I have personaly heard two systems using the solox's. There's way better choices for sq. IF you want to believe the marketing that kicker is selling you, ignorance is bliss. I have two 15" L7s, I'm telling you the solox playing all types off music sounds like crap. Dealer talked me out of going to a pair of solox 12". Talk to some authorized kicker dealers. See what they tell you. In case you didn't know, kiker's solox 18" holds the single woofer spl record. That's what it was designed for.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 04-21-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
www.woofersetc.com

well throw that idea out the window

is it that difficult to get 120db???

can't anyone recommend me something???
nope, you can buy just about any speaker today and could hit 120db. With the power the amps produce and the speakers quality over the past few years. You won't have any problems achieving that. Everyone who has posted so far have good suggestions. There's many choices.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 04-21-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would definetely do it. I put down 127.5 at G9 last year with 1 10in. Clarion sub in a stealth enclosure and a Rockford Forsgate 120.2 (very small) maxed out of course with bass boost (+12db) all the way up. I was using a Clarion DXZ815mp that has 3 4V preamp outputs. The sub output level on it was set at +6 (maxed) and the bass was at -4. I forgot to turn it up although it probably wouldn't have mattered that much, just would've gotten way distorted but not any louder I would think. This year I have a lot more in store. I would think 140+ would be very attainable with that set up.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
ROFL, there's more speakers in sq than just the sub. Did you ever own them? Than how do you know? I have personaly heard two systems using the solox's. There's way better choices for sq. IF you want to believe the marketing that kicker is selling you, ignorance is bliss. I have two 15" L7s, I'm telling you the solox playing all types off music sounds like crap. Dealer talked me out of going to a pair of solox 12". Talk to some authorized kicker dealers. See what they tell you. In case you didn't know, kiker's solox 18" holds the single woofer spl record. That's what it was designed for.
yes, i have owned several solox's, l7's, l5's..aswell as the old and new model type r's you spoke of..not to mention the type x and s..the type r took alot of records and 1st place finishes in meca in 2005, they are a nice sub. just didnt care for them.

im not a big fan of the kicker line, but they can sound nice...im fully aware equipment has nothing to do with a good sounding or loud vehicle.

and no, the kicker solox does not hold the record for single loudest sub. however, the l7 holds the street a world record in dbdrag.

..as far as amps id suggest for less money..if youre going by used prices. you can find an orion 2500d for $320-$450 all over the car audio sites..can easily find an orion 1200d, crossfire vr1000, kx1200.1, *sigh* ed 9.1, etc etc all for under $300..

Last edited by Matt281; 04-21-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Teching In

I know kicker has a 2500x1 amp dont know how much it is exactly.. are you looking to use it in competition... or wha.. cuz that's gonna hit.. jl7's are also
Old 04-24-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

yes, i have owned several solox's, l7's, l5's..aswell as the old and new model type r's you spoke of..not to mention the type x and s..the type r took alot of records and 1st place finishes in meca in 2005, they are a nice sub. just didnt care for them.

im not a big fan of the kicker line, but they can sound nice...im fully aware equipment has nothing to do with a good sounding or loud vehicle.

and no, the kicker solox does not hold the record for single loudest sub. however, the l7 holds the street a world record in dbdrag.

..as far as amps id suggest for less money..if youre going by used prices. you can find an orion 2500d for $320-$450 all over the car audio sites..can easily find an orion 1200d, crossfire vr1000, kx1200.1, *sigh* ed 9.1, etc etc all for under $300..
so who finally broke the single woofer record? the solox 18 had it at 170+db under the new scoring. I'd be curious to know.

I agree, there's plenty of choices for speakers today. The same goes for amps. Don't forget phoenix gold, fosgate. I don't like the orion line anymore. I think they are called westcoast now. They were bought. I went to a dealer of them. I think that was the name.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camaro2k
I know kicker has a 2500x1 amp dont know how much it is exactly.. are you looking to use it in competition... or wha.. cuz that's gonna hit.. jl7's are also
It's a good amp, lots of power. Overkill for him.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
so who finally broke the single woofer record? the solox 18 had it at 170+db under the new scoring. I'd be curious to know.

I agree, there's plenty of choices for speakers today. The same goes for amps. Don't forget phoenix gold, fosgate. I don't like the orion line anymore. I think they are called westcoast now. They were bought. I went to a dealer of them. I think that was the name.
some guys over seas..using dd

the "westcoast customs" amps were just a limited run of rebadged h2's, 2500, 1200d's..dei bought them out a while back, but their amps put out way more than rated power..the 2500d's took the top super street class this past year.
Theyre built by chunglum (owned by crossfire), which builds a good amount of decently high quality amplifiers..some of dd's stuff, memphis, american bass, etc etc..
Orions subs are terribly ineffiecient, but the dual gap tech used on the h2 is being used on pretty much the most hard core sub out for sql..

Last edited by Matt281; 04-24-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

120 is easy. 140, not too hard. Just takes the right box loaded correctly in the trunk and the power to run it. I'd also start looking into upgrading the electrical system and invest in some Dynamat or something like it. The rattling will drive you nuts after a while.

Electrical system. Just upgrade the big-3. Cheaper then a Cap and works better. Do a search. There's been a couple of threads about that. (I'm at work so I'm limited on my time here)

Subs. 2-10's or 2-12's will work great. Brands? A ton to choose from.

Enclosure: Port, Sealed or Bandpass. Depends on the type of music you listen too. In order of efficiency; Bandpass, Ported, sealed.
In order of SQ; Sealed, Ported, Bandpass.
(If you are building) Order of difficulty to build (least to hardest) Sealed, Ported, Bandpass.

Amps: 500+ RMS. Just remember, the more wattage out, the more amprage in. That means you have to start looking at upgrading the electrical system more once you reach a certain point. Class D amplifiers are highly efficient and fits your goals perfectly. They use less Amprage per watt.

Which ones? There are alot of choices and I'm not up to date on the latest trends and value buy's. There are a couple brands that have been really consistant over the years though. They are (off the top of my head) JL, Kicker, RF, Older Orion, Old Lanzar, Memphis, Old MMATS, EarthQuake (new stuff still good?)......I'll say some MTX amps.

Here are a couple Q for you.

What kind/kinds of music do you listen to?
For how long?
Listen mostly when driving around or parked?
Do you ever plan on competing?

The rule of thumb goes like this for dB output: 3dB is=2x the power or 2x the cone'age area. Of course there is other things involved, but that is a simple formula to go by.

Now, how you hear and relate a change in Sound is different and more non-linear in reponse then that rule above. (They are Exponential Dirivatives) You may measure in a x^2, but hear in an x^3. What that means is this: You usually don't PERCEIVE a change in volume until about 2-3 dB in the frequency range of 20-200/300 Hz. You may not PERCEIVE a doubling of volume until about 7-10 dB.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Teching In

140 is not all that easy to do in a trunked car..on the termlab anyway..

theres nothing saying a sealed, ported, or *laugh* bandpass enclosure will sound any better than the other.."sounding good" is subjective..i personally would rather run a low tuned ported box that a sealed alignment any day of the week..but thats me.

i wouldnt touch earthquake or mmats with a 10ft pole ever again..those 2 companies have by far the worst cs ive ever dealt with..mmats is more concerned with washing machines than car audio.

youll never gain 3db by doubling cone area or power..just will not happen. either falls victim to flux modulation or power compression..

...and dont waste your money on a capacitor..better off just setting your money a fire.

WickedWarlock : heres the link to the loudest single sub set-up..175.6
http://www.termpro.com/asp/competito...titor_ID=28846

Last edited by Matt281; 04-24-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

this is what i put in my Tahoe on air ride...

ITS LOUD!!
Old 04-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 65chevellels1
this is what i put in my Tahoe on air ride...

ITS LOUD!!
man, all that room..and no ported box?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I listen to alot of old school rap/hip hop because of the bass, i also like reggaeton for the bass, i have tons of old school bass songs...I dont give 2 ***** about SQ I want bass that can be heard 50 blocks away

Right now I'm leaning towards an Orion Amp(minimum 1000 watts), and i think i want a 15" sub...Who to go with is the question
Old 04-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Teching In

if you dont care about sq..get an re audio mt, digital designs 9515, etc...you'll need ~2000rms to do either one justice tho. both are made to do what you want.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

what ever happened to Hi fonics, i remember the Zeus amps were the **** to have back in the day, my cousin ran that amp with 2 12" Blue's ******* **** was loud...Then I remember the colossus amp that was a big mother
Old 04-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Teching In

hifonics is probally more popular now than ever..they have the most powerful amp currently available..pretty pricey to say the least tho. their amps arent worth a **** unless its the xx line tho.

...and man, i havent heard of the "blues" in forever...thats ol skool stillwater designs **** right there..pre-kicker.