Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Faster Windows?? Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always thought of using a voltage booster (boost a pump) to speed up the motors.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
12 Second Club

It isn't so much as what brand of lubricant you use(just something that will not slowly eat away at rubber) and it doesn't take alot. A good cleaning of the rubber piece the windows slide through and something to make it slide through easier is all it takes. There is only 1 place the window slides through on the door and that is what puts the main load on the window. Dust and dirt get in the slot and keeps the window from sliding as easy, which in turn slows the window or makes it hang. It isn't a fix for all the windows, but is a good preventive measure and helped mine alot. I have tinted windows and never had a problem, also I have no greasy desidue. I normally clean the glass, spray some lube on my finger and run it down the edge of the glass, spray some in the rubber slot and wipe any extra off with a towel, run the window up and down about 10 times and wipe again. Is more about keeping it clean in there.

Last edited by rotwiler; 04-30-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

installed new siemens + cleaning + grease. Still very slow. Sigh. If someone made faster window motor's for 4th gen's they'd make a fortune.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shawn's SS
I have always thought of using a voltage booster (boost a pump) to speed up the motors.
I like that idea... except I would think the motors would burn-up after not too long.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by A-man930
I like that idea... except I would think the motors would burn-up after not too long.
I not sure about that. I'm only talking 16-18 volts. I have modified my sons power wheels by DOUBLING the voltage and those little motors have taken two years of abuse so far (yeah he's only 3 1/2 and already knows how to rip donuts )
Old 05-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn's SS
I not sure about that. I'm only talking 16-18 volts. I have modified my sons power wheels by DOUBLING the voltage and those little motors have taken two years of abuse so far (yeah he's only 3 1/2 and already knows how to rip donuts )
But my understanding of the problem is that it is caused by the thermal protection circuit in the motor overheating when it gets older. Increasing the voltage would seem to aggravate that problem. You might end up with windows that go up only half way but twice as fast.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, you might have to bypass that thermal protection crap...
Old 05-03-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no experience with these windows, but am a good general mechanic.
Just off the top of my head, has anyone considered seeing what voltage your getting at the motors? If there is a drop through the switch or due to skinny wires used in the first place then the lowered voltage will make them slower than they should be. A wiring upgrade or a switch cleaning may be the fix.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think a big part of the problem is the weight of the window.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by qwikz28
i think a big part of the problem is the weight of the window.
It's not like some peoples windows are heavier than other peoples. They all weigh the same. So if some windows go up and down faster than others, I would have to rule out weight as a factor.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

I just had mine replaced yesterday at the dealership. It works, but not in a way that I really care for. If I had to change it again, I would just goto Autozone like some of you have mentioned.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pewter00ss
I just had mine replaced yesterday at the dealership. It works, but not in a way that I really care for. If I had to change it again, I would just goto Autozone like some of you have mentioned.
It's really not much better. Just makes it work again.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JasonWW
It's not like some peoples windows are heavier than other peoples. They all weigh the same. So if some windows go up and down faster than others, I would have to rule out weight as a factor.
i think all windows are equally as slow. if someone sees a faster window and both are unmodified the only logical reason would be a worn motor.

i was using the heavy window in comparison to a honda who are notorious for having fast windows. (reason being partly because of the smaller windows.) look up how heavy our windows are just so you can get an idea of the strain our window motors have to withstand
Old 05-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Launching!

How do you get the door panel off and does anyone have some pics or directions, my pass. side moter still works it just is going VERY,VERY slow and sometimes stops completly in mid stroke. Do you think doing everything listed above will help this problem.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1313of1600
How do you get the door panel off and does anyone have some pics or directions, my pass. side moter still works it just is going VERY,VERY slow and sometimes stops completly in mid stroke. Do you think doing everything listed above will help this problem.
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

thats a very very good write up on the whole step by step process. the only thing i have to say is on step number 18, he listed the holes you use for the drivers side. it MAY be different for you. (it was for me)
Old 05-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Yes your window is definatly going out you're gonna have to replace it try searching for window motor replacement here or type in window motor replace ment ls1tech on google.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Its in the FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....1&postcount=18
Old 05-03-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by qwikz28
i think all windows are equally as slow. if someone sees a faster window and both are unmodified the only logical reason would be a worn motor.

i was using the heavy window in comparison to a honda who are notorious for having fast windows. (reason being partly because of the smaller windows.) look up how heavy our windows are just so you can get an idea of the strain our window motors have to withstand

yea our cars have some huge *** windows....
Old 05-04-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

If anyone was serious about making the windows faster, I see 2 ways.
One is to increase voltage like I mentioned before. Getting almost the full voltage that the battery is at while under load will be very noticable. I bet the stock motors are getting 1 to 2 volts under the batteries level.
The other way would be to change the gearing. The motors use a gear reduction to swap speed for torque. I haven't seen all the components, but I'm sure it would be a lot of work. An easier way would be to adapt another motor which already has a faster gear ratio.

Anyway, I would try upgrading the wiring and clean the switch contacts to reduce resistance and get more voltage to the motor before I tried messing with the gearing. It should make a difference just like the one between having the motor running (14 volts) and the motor off (12 volts). I can certainly see the difference in speed so I make sure to roll them up before turning the engine off.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

when compared to the siemens brand they go faster than my stock one. just order one online from autozone.

Quick Reply: Faster Windows?? Upgrade