Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Converted Sail Panels into Bandpass box!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile Converted Sail Panels into Bandpass box!!

so.....recently Ive been working on my sound system....

I didnt want anything big again, because it takes up too much room in the bird. That box for the 2 12s is heavy and i have no where to put my T-Tops anymore.....what do I do? Not a huge fan of that stealth box either.....?

Well over the past 1.5 years, i've blown those sail panel subs 2 x's now! I am tired of replacing them...so....I repalced them with JL Audio 6.5" Subwoofer!

At first it didnt sound very good...because they arent free-air subs, but I had some time to work ont the setup tonight.

I have the entire sail panel dynomatted AND I air-tighted all the openings in the sail panel too. I also use expanding foam to fill the holes behind the sail panel, than after that dried I sanded down to a FLAT surface. This is so the bass will have a flat surface to reflect off of, as opposed to a uneven lumps.

With all of this down, it forces the air out the only opening remaining...which is down the side of the car, past the monsoon amp and finally reflecting off the rear of the trunk.

Doig this to both sides really makes the car sound like there are subs in the REAR, and the bass response is about 10x's better than before. I have a small Eclipse amp pushing those subs, only about 45wRMS right now at the MAX! They are 4ohms each and not bridged.

Anyways...i'm really happy that i went this route, because now that sound system is acceptable, and no one can tell there is any modifications done to it......until you hear it!
Old 04-28-2006, 02:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd like to see someone put a set of 8w7's in the sail panels! Going from 6.5" subs to 8" would be a huge improvement in bass output.

Glad to hear that you like your setup now, later on you could step up to a more powerful amp. I have a single 10" lightning audio sub with only 100w RMS going to it, and it hits equally as hard as the 2 10" Audiobahn's my friend has in his truck. He says he has a 2000 watt amp, I think thats just the over-rated peak power.

God bless the rear hatch window
Old 04-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Josh_101
I'd like to see someone put a set of 8w7's in the sail panels! Going from 6.5" subs to 8" would be a huge improvement in bass output.

Glad to hear that you like your setup now, later on you could step up to a more powerful amp. I have a single 10" lightning audio sub with only 100w RMS going to it, and it hits equally as hard as the 2 10" Audiobahn's my friend has in his truck. He says he has a 2000 watt amp, I think thats just the over-rated peak power.

God bless the rear hatch window
I have to HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you repalce that Lightening Audio sub. I've done mobile audio and video for too long to not tell you.....there are so many better subs out there for you. It is possible to put an 8" in there, but then i will have to do some cutting in and out of that hole, but it would work.

I enjoy my amp, Eclipse is good quality. My amp does push the maximum RMS of my subs (75w), but becuase of my situation, where as my "bandpass" box wasnt built to the JL Audio recommened specs, if I push my sub to its maximum levels, I'm gong to pull that coil apart. But it sounds great right now!