Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sirius Sportster Reception Diminished to Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sirius Sportster Reception Diminished to Nothing

The last two weeks my reception in my car kit setup for my Sirius Sportster (mounted in my Jeep) has gone from great to spotty to nothing. I tried unplugging the antenna wire where it plugs into the back and replugging it back in, plus I checked the length of the wire for any cuts or anything. But no luck. It's gotta be something with the car mount too, because I still get perfect reception in the house.

Thoughts? Is there an upgraded antenna setup I can buy? I really miss it and hate having to listen to regular radio again.

Does anyone have the antenna just mounted on the dash with velcro or tape? I think the elements and weather caused the antenna to take a crap and I'd like to figure out how to mount it inside to protect it and keep this from happening again.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody has a Sirius Sportster receiver and has encountered this? Did anyone mount their antenna inside on the dash or back hatch?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a bad antenna on my Blaupunkt america unit in my expedition .. but never had a problem with my sportster, which is in my TA ..

I have my antenna velcroed to the top of my rear view mirror in the TA, and have never had a problem with reception. I used to have it on the dash, but I sometimes had issues with reception when the wipers were on.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gipraw - velcro'd to the rearview? Hmm. Have you compared the reception to having it mounted inside vs mounted outside the car, like on the roof? I'm just curious because I plan on mounting my new antenna inside my Jeep.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shudog
Gipraw - velcro'd to the rearview? Hmm. Have you compared the reception to having it mounted inside vs mounted outside the car, like on the roof? I'm just curious because I plan on mounting my new antenna inside my Jeep.

I haven't had any reception issues .. actually works better than it did on the dash. I will try and take a pic when I get home this evening, if you want ..