Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp Install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Install?

I am about to stick a stealthbox/amp in my TA and was wondering how you wire up the amp to the lame monsoon system. Ive wired up multiple systems with aftermarket head units but never in something like this. Anyone got a link or info on how to go about doing so??
Old 05-08-2006, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a line output convertor for sure (it takes a high level speaker input and turns it into low level rca outputs), we normally tap into the speaker wire right behind the radio but sometimes with systems like the monsoon you need to draw you signal from the speaker its self or anywhere after the stock amp.

hope this helps
Old 05-08-2006, 03:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

A line level convert (high to low) is what you need. PAC makes a good one.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So converter after the amp and wire everything else like normal?? Basically just like head units that dont supply RCAs on the back (cheap POS's lol). Why would they not have RCAs on these?? This is the 21st century right??
Old 05-08-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

The monsoon head unit sends 4 normal high level signals to the amp. It is just a normal head unit. I advise people to tap the line level converter either off the speaker outs of the radio (standard) or off the same wires at the amp input.

At the radio you have the shortest original path and can run high quality RCA's going back, which is what I'd do if you plan on someday upgrading again. When I did this interim step I went ahead and ran all three pairs of RCA's up front with the hot/turn-on so I wouldn't have to tear all the trim down again.

Otherwise you can tap in at the amp input, still get the same signal, avoid the distortion layer of the amp, and have everything all ready right back where you want it w/o long RCA runs.

Many people recommend tapping off one of the sail panel sub wire sets but I do not agree with this. You add a layer of distortion from the amp, and are then recieving a processed signal as well. Better to get a full signal from the head unit and rely upon the crossover and tuning via your amp.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

If the monsoon head unit sends out normal high signals then behind the radio is the way to go like toddchi said. I wouldn't bother with the factory amp cause if ytou ever do upgrade it will just be a PITA to rerun everything.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

The monsoon head unit is just a normal GM / Delco head unit, putting out the standard 10 watts per channel or whatever it is. Nothing special about it at all - all the power and wierd wiring is in the amp and speakers.

And actually, it IS worth using the monsoon amp if you have an aftermarket deck. Wired up properly the monsoon amp is a good bit stronger than any head unit, except for maybe the new digital panasonics. You want to use that monsoon amp with your main speakers unless you have aftermarket amplification for them, as well. Trust me, it's stronger. The weak point is the head unit. It feeds too much distortion to the amp.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn lots of useful info here.. Thanks! Todddchi you got a pic of your subs??
Old 05-09-2006, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

i was saying don't tap wire for the converter at the factory amp. and you are right again about the monsoon amp sounding MUCH better properly wired to an aftermarket HU. the only way to do much better than the monsoon is to spend alot of money on a real nice 4 channel and good quality aftermarket soeakers. not really worth the time and money IMO.