Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Stereo and Windows dont work

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo and Windows dont work

Pretty much what the title says, the fuses are fine. If I jump a wire from another part of the fuse box to the window fuse then the windows work but they move slow, and the radio works but it sounds like crap, like its not getting enough power.

I looked at the back side of the fuse box and saw that the fuse for the window and radio are connected so both of the problems are defintally related.

any replies on how to fix this would be great

thanks.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try checking the ground. make sure that both are grounded correctly.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

The radio and windows don't have direct power connections - they both get their power through the RAP (retained accessory power) circuit in the BCM. It sounds like the BCM isn't providing power through that circuit. Check the dark blue wire in the 6-pin black connector at the BCM to see if it has power (either when the ignition is on or before opening a door after shutting off the ignition). If so then you will need to trace that wire over to the fuse panel to find a break in it. If not then your BCM probably needs to be replaced.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

well im taking it to an electronics shop this weekend,I also think the problem is a bad BCM or that blue wire, but im pretty annoyed with it.

Im trying to find a BCM on Rockauto.com but I cant find it, is it named anything else?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Sorry, I didn't notice that you have a 94. My manuals only show a BCM for 96 and up. Does your car have retained accessory power?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm, i'm not sure I know what you mean by retained accessory power.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

RAP means that when you park your car, you can turn off the engine and remove the key and the windows/radio still work for a couple of minutes after or until you open one of the doors. I think it's one of the cooler features on my SS.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

ok I can do that on my car, what does that mean for my stereo and power windows?
Old 05-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well, it means that your car must have a BCM somewhere even though it's not listed in my parts manual. You might want to go to the dealer and see if they can look it up for you. Then tell them you'll come back later but you'd like them to give you the part number to save time when you come back.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Ok Ill give that a try, thanks for the info. Ill still keep my eyes open to see if I can find a BCM
Old 05-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

where would the bcm on my 00 camaro be, my windows and radio go out one in a while, after a while it start working again, maybe a wire is lose
Old 05-13-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

ok ill try that right now, the bottom part of the dash is apart as we speak

Ill still dont know which black box is the BCM, there are two that are close toghether and both have the blue wire going into them.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by redsscamaro
where would the bcm on my 00 camaro be, my windows and radio go out one in a while, after a while it start working again, maybe a wire is lose
Recent model F-bodies have the BCM mounted under the left side of the dash behind the glovebox. It's a black box about the size of a paperback book.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Default me too man

Originally Posted by redsscamaro
I have the same frekin problem man... I have a 2000 Z28 . I have a problem with the radio and power windows. While driving the car and listing to the radio all of a sudden the radio will go off and the power windows will stop working. Then about 1 min or less the power comes back on and the radio will work and the windows will work. My mechanic thought he fixed the problem by replacing the ignition switch under the dash. This did not correct the problem. Please help!!! Any advice is greatly appreciated We have been working on this for about 3 weeks now and have still not found a solution. So any help would be wonderful!!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

It's really difficult to track down an intermittent problem like that. As noted earlier, the common connection between the windows and the radio is the RAP power supply from the BCM. You could try hooking up a small test light in that circuit (dark blue wire at the BCM), leave it connected while you're driving, and see if the light goes off when the radio and windows stop working. If so then the BCM is the likely source of the problem. If not then you'll need to find a break in the circuit someplace between the BCM and the fuse panel.

Quick Reply: Stereo and Windows dont work