Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about possible gutted setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about possible gutted setup

I was thinking of replacing the front 2 (door speakers) with fairly decent ones, running them directly off of the HU, and pulling the other speakers/amps out of the car (I dragrace quite a bit, so I'm looking to lose weight). Would this work? Or is the amp NEEDED to power the front 2?

I'm not looking for exceptional sound, I would like it to sound as good as the stock system does when using only the front door speakers (which is what I currently have, since I've blown all the other speakers).
Old 05-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Restricted User

amp is not needed. You could easily run a pair of coax speakers in the front doors powered only by the head unit.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Excellent, that leads me to my next question. What speakers would you guys recommend for such a setup? I'd like to stay under $200 if possible.

Would the Alpine's described in the stickies do a good job there?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the Alpines would be a good match. They put out good volume at lower levels. I'm not sure on the output specs of the HU, but I doubt it would put out more than 25W, if that.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
I think the Alpines would be a good match. They put out good volume at lower levels. I'm not sure on the output specs of the HU, but I doubt it would put out more than 25W, if that.
Yea I don't think it puts out too much power either, which is why I was leaning towards using cheaper speakers. I think I'll try the alpines and see how they work .
Old 05-11-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Alpine SPS-17C2's (the newer version of the SPS-170A's) can be found on the net for as low as $55/pair plus shipping. I am not sure how much cheaper you were wanting to go. But I think that's pretty reasonable.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
The Alpine SPS-17C2's (the newer version of the SPS-170A's) can be found on the net for as low as $55/pair plus shipping. I am not sure how much cheaper you were wanting to go. But I think that's pretty reasonable.

Wow, that's a lot cheaper than I was expecting. For that price, its worth a shot! Thanks for the tip, I'm going to give them a try.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what your "real" goals are here but there is one option to make this sound pretty good:

- Get components of your choice, since you have a Camaro ones that allow mounting of the tweeter coaxial style would probably be best.
- Get one of the Panasonic h/u's with the digital amp (4x30 rms / 70 peak I think).

Run the woofers off the front channels, run the tweeters off the back.

If you are buying a new h/u anyways, the overall cost penalty would not be that much, and so long as your doors are solid (might need little bit of sound deadening work, or maybe use a subsonic filter to cut really low bass), this would sound pretty damn good.

The Alpines would work in this way also, and sound better than stock, but I think the above option would end up being quite a lot nicer. Regardless even if you stick with the Alpines I'd bi-amp them with all four h/u channels.