Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

stock radio play mp3s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock radio play mp3s?

i went through the stickys and didnt see the answer i was looking for, maybe i missed it, i dont know, but im just wondering if our stock monsoon radios play mp3s. and on that note, i downloaded a ton of mp3 files and when i tried to burn a cd, it only lets me put 16-19 songs on it, im not computer literate so bare with me, but i thought with mp3s ur supposed to be able to burn a large amount of songs on a cd?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

the stock HU will not play mp3s.

the utility that you are using to burn them to CD is probably trying to convert the songs to a cd-player friendly format.

good luck with it!
Old 05-31-2006, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by osvaldo
i went through the stickys and didnt see the answer i was looking for, maybe i missed it, i dont know, but im just wondering if our stock monsoon radios play mp3s. and on that note, i downloaded a ton of mp3 files and when i tried to burn a cd, it only lets me put 16-19 songs on it, im not computer literate so bare with me, but i thought with mp3s ur supposed to be able to burn a large amount of songs on a cd?
In your CD Burning software, if you choose "Create Audio CD" it will try to convert the MP3's to standard audio CD format. Which will give you room for 15 to 20 songs depending on length and, if done correctly will play on most CD players. If you choose "Create Data CD", it will simply write the MP3's or any other file you select to the CD. This should be able to fit a few hundred songs on a single CD, but will only play on MP3 compatible CD player.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:18 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, I'm sure it's converting them into .wav files. You should be able to fit around 10 hrs of music on an mp3 cd. The stock head unit won't play mp3 cd's.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Is there a cd changer made for our cars that can play MP3s and also plugs up and works with our HU controls.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Yes, the NEO Changer will do that but there have been lots of reports of quality problems with them.