Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

how do i wire a DPDT switch for a cut out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how do i wire a DPDT switch for a cut out?

/ \
- -
\ / their are 6 poles how do i wire them?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

sorry for the title dpdt switch
Old 06-24-2006, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are examples of how others have used DPDT. . .adapt as needed. . .

Duff

Old 06-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Most cutouts don't need a DPDT switch - an SPDT momentary will do the job fine. If the switch is a normal automotive one it will handle the current without the need for a realy as well. Just connect the center terminal of the SPDT switch to a power source and the outer terminals to the open wire and close wire respectively. Using the SPDT center off momentary switch means you can let go of the switch and it will return to the center (off) position when you have the cutout in the position you want.

To be honest, I don't even know what you would use the other side of a double pole switch for when connecting a cutout.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

WhiteBird00, I'm currently using the basic foglight switch (thread I asked you about probably 4-5 months ago) to energize a DPDT relay. When the relay engergizes, it connects power (+) to the green wire of a McCord cutout and grounds the red. When the foglight is energized, it then reverses for ground to the green and (+) to the red thereby shutting the McCord. I would recommend giving power to the cutout from a keyed source thereby avoiding ALWAYS having power to the relay. Would you agree this works? (sure hope so since I'm using it )

Duff
Old 06-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffster
WhiteBird00, I'm currently using the basic foglight switch (thread I asked you about probably 4-5 months ago) to energize a DPDT relay. When the relay engergizes, it connects power (+) to the green wire of a McCord cutout and grounds the red. When the foglight is energized, it then reverses for ground to the green and (+) to the red thereby shutting the McCord. I would recommend giving power to the cutout from a keyed source thereby avoiding ALWAYS having power to the relay. Would you agree this works? (sure hope so since I'm using it )

Duff
Oh yes, that works. The thing I was refering to is DPDT versus SPDT. Many manufacturers label the common 5-pin relay as DPDT when it really isn't. True double pole double throw has two independant power sources and two independant outputs. In other words, it controls two separate circuits. The common relay is actually SPDT - it has double throw (completes a circuit in two different directions) but only one pole (terminal 30 input power through the 87 and 87a terminals). The confusion comes from calling the coil terminals (85 and 86) the second pole when they're really just the controller for the primary circuit.

In switches, a DPDT switch has six terminals whereas an SPDT switch has only three.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My cut out has two wires coming off the switch red + and a black -..where is the best place to hook them up..I am mounting the switch in the ashtry and running the wires forward through the consol..
Old 06-28-2006, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Not saying you have got to do it this way, but I ran my wires up under the rear passenger seat (little 1" rubber grommet) and wired it inside the car. Then ran the wiring along the center tunnel to the switch (which I have in my dash) above the radio. Personal choice. If you keep the wiring inside the car, less likely to get damaged or wet or what ever. . .
Old 06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah... I ran it up throuhg the floor through the center of the rubber OEM grommet in the floor with some silicon sealer to keep it from leaking..I was wondering where to hook up the wires to the switch ..
Old 07-01-2006, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Yeah... I ran it up throuhg the floor through the center of the rubber OEM grommet in the floor with some silicon sealer to keep it from leaking..I was wondering where to hook up the wires to the switch ..
the red and black wire, look behind your lighter the bottom right under the pull out cup holder there will be a black tube with a red and black wire in it slice it and wire it to that it will work!