Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fan switch (switches) question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan switch (switches) question...

Hey guys,

Im thinking of doing the fan switch, but Id like to keep the setup looking clean and havent been able to find (at least online) a round rocker DPDT switch... So Im thinking of using just two SPST switches for the setup, however I started thinking about what will happen if both switches are on accidently? Will a SES code come on or even worse damage to the PCM? (I just started thinking about it 5 seconds ago)...

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Alright I got the switches (rocker + LED)... the switch is setup like this..

-ground
-acc
-supply

Where ground and acc make the LED light up. I thought about it for a second and since the fan wires are being grounded by the switch (correct?) that I would flip the LED around so that the new setup would be
-power
-acc
-supply (ground)

It works like it should (LED lights up), but when testing I accidently had the acc wired to ground and I got sparks. (I believe the switch was in the off position at the time). This makes me wonder if the computer happens to turn on the fan while the switch is off what will happen (ground coming to acc)...

I guess my only options are to either leave the LED disconnected, or drill a hole and run a completely seperate power for the LED
Old 07-04-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Since no one else has responded hopefully this will serve as some help further down the road. The switches I am using connect acc and ground when in the off position, meaning you cannot hook up ground (for the LED). So at this point the only solution I see to retain LED functionality is to get small wire and run it from the LED to the outside of the switch.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charging TA, I got a headache trying to keep up w/your posts.

Just use a SPST switch for each fan. Because you're operating fans (high currents) I recommend also using relays to power them. The switch(s) energize the relay(s) and thereby powering your fans. I would also recommend throwing 25 or 30 amp fuses inline with the relays from the power supply you choose to tap into.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Duffster,

Sorry for the complicated posts. I plan on tapping into the PCM harness for fan controll, meaning the switches need give a ground out instead of a postive feed. This just mixes everything up with the LED. Even though I have thought of getting relays and reversing the polarity that the switch gives out but I dunno...
Old 07-04-2006, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

I did a search on images.google.com for relay diagram and come up with SEVERAL including negative connections or grounds I think. . .search there for some good shots!

Duff
Old 07-04-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Duffster
I did a search on images.google.com for relay diagram and come up with SEVERAL including negative connections or grounds I think. . .search there for some good shots!

Duff
Yeah I can do the reversed polarity relay, the switches costed too much as it is (was supposed to be something fun to do and is turning out not exactly as planned)... Figure the local (and only for a good hour) auto parts store will charge too much for two relays.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Relays from Radio Shack shouldn't be more than about 6 bucks apiece with the harnesses. . .
Old 07-04-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

What I would do it use 2 relays, and a diode, so when the HI speed fan relay is on both low and high speed add on relays are turned on, grounding both the HI and LOW speed fan contacts in the wiring harness. Pins H and J are the 2 on the 10 pin black weatherpack connector on the passenger side fender. H being high speed, and J being the low speed.

Ryan
Old 07-05-2006, 04:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow
What I would do it use 2 relays, and a diode, so when the HI speed fan relay is on both low and high speed add on relays are turned on, grounding both the HI and LOW speed fan contacts in the wiring harness. Pins H and J are the 2 on the 10 pin black weatherpack connector on the passenger side fender. H being high speed, and J being the low speed.

Ryan
Ryan I tried to PM and IM you eariler (we met a "the corner" last year), I saw you posted regarding reversing the LED in the switch... which I did but the problem lies with the switch connecting 'acc' and 'ground' (or 'power' when LED is reversed) in the off position.

Did you use Relays for this setup? Because with the LED reversed and the switch in the off position (connecting acc and power), if the computer turns on the fans then that will cause acc to be ground.

Edit: Ill probally end up getting 2 relays (1 for each speed) like you said, what diode should I be getting (1amp? any other specifications?) and should it be placed between the switch and relay or relay and harness?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by Charging TA; 07-05-2006 at 10:17 AM.