Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

XM mounting and wiring? antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM mounting and wiring? antenna?

I got a roadyxt xm reciever and wanted to know what you guys are doin for mounting/power/and antenna placement.

I've seen a few posts with antenna locations but when I tried each spot the signal sucked. Inside the hatch hardly got signal, the rear window didn't work (in front of the light), and I got no signal behind the rear view mirror. I ended up mounting it at the front of the dash just behind the windshield. It gets 2-3 bars but its fuzzy all the time. Not sure if that's the FM transmitting or the weak antenna signal. Bestbuy sells a fm booster thing that's around $20. Do those work?

I'm gonna try and wire the power into the acc. Where are you guys mounting your external recievers? I had a ac vent holder but it doesn't hold. Anybody using the adhesive approach? I don't wanna mark up my dash too much. Thanks
Old 07-08-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

What i used to do on Fbodies was get the universal bracketron bracket (20 at bb), and screw that behind the factory stereo bezel, then mount the unit onto that. Get the FM direct from BB for about 30, it will allow you to hardwire the power plug to the stereo, and it comes with an fm mod that will clean up your signal. Ive always put the antenna's near the rear 4" under the panel.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. Ill have to get out there and check out what theyve got.

So you screwed the mount into the radio? Im havin a hard time picturing where you put it. And the antenna is 4" under the rear hatch panel plastic?

edit: just realized the camaro bezel is different. No room to screw on a bird. I think im gonna just use adhesive or find a different AC vent holder.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

I mounted my XT in the console armrest so it's hidden. I added another lighter plug and tapped into the console lighter wiring so the plug is hidden. Have the antenna on the metal between the hatch and the FM antenna but the signal has been really lousy lately so I need to move it. I tried a Scoshe FM modulater deal and it just made a ton of noise so I ripped it back out. That was a waste of $45 for the modulator and antenna adaptors to make it fit the GM small antenna plug.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/537703-xm-radio-monsoon.html
Old 07-10-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

adhesive sucks, like he said, go to best buy and pick up a bracketron mount. Even better than the usinversal one, is the ford truck bracket, it has 2 tabs to mount it.

btw, if you are going to hardwire, just remember that XM is usually 6 volts, not 12 (and i believe the xt is 5 volts)
Old 07-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Teching In

i mounted the XM antenna in the middle of the roof , just over the rear hatch. let the wire down between hatch and the top of the roof,, ran it under the headliner over to the side post and down to dash and under to the radio.
still useing the lighter for power. [working on that]

i did get the vent mount to work. you have to use the middle peice of the vent . the part that opens/ closes the vent. turn the vent sideways and clip the back of the middle peice.

ps... these vents break easy . [broke mine]

Last edited by 98BPMTA; 07-10-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you referring to your roof? Mines fiberglass so the magnet doesn't work. So much of the car is fiberglass that its hard to mount the antenna anywhere.

It seems there's no good setup for cheap. A roady xt goes for $45. Its a shame you can't truely plug and play with it unless you spend an extra $100-200 for good sound.

I'm rather confused on all the connectors and adapters. Is the $30 bestbuy direct connect FM thing worth it? So that'll help me wire the power in. What would allow me to directly wire the xm to the stereo at a reasonable cost. Its a 99 so I wasn't sure if the usual adapters would work since its the cd player (not changer).
Old 07-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 288 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
Are you referring to your roof? Mines fiberglass so the magnet doesn't work. So much of the car is fiberglass that its hard to mount the antenna anywhere.

It seems there's no good setup for cheap. A roady xt goes for $45. Its a shame you can't truely plug and play with it unless you spend an extra $100-200 for good sound.

I'm rather confused on all the connectors and adapters. Is the $30 bestbuy direct connect FM thing worth it? So that'll help me wire the power in. What would allow me to directly wire the xm to the stereo at a reasonable cost. Its a 99 so I wasn't sure if the usual adapters would work since its the cd player (not changer).
It isn't necessary to mount the antenna on a metal surface - just use two-sided tape like the stuff that holds on body moldings. Unlike transmitting antennas (CB, SW, etc.) the satellite radio antenna doesn't need a ground plane. I mounted mine to the bar between the t-tops and then ran the cable under the back edge of the bar. That requires drilling a hole in your roof but it's under the bar so it will never be seen.

The $30 adapter is an FM modulator similar to what comes with the Roady except that it connects directly into the factory antenna cable rather than transmitting. The advantage is that the adapter cuts off any signal from the factory antenna when you're using the Roady. This makes the signal stronger and clearer without interference from other FM sources. The sound quality isn't as good as directly connecting to the CD changer port but it's much better than using the built-in FM modulator - it's about the same quality as a really strong local FM station will give.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It isn't necessary to mount the antenna on a metal surface - just use two-sided tape like the stuff that holds on body moldings. Unlike transmitting antennas (CB, SW, etc.) the satellite radio antenna doesn't need a ground plane. I mounted mine to the bar between the t-tops and then ran the cable under the back edge of the bar. That requires drilling a hole in your roof but it's under the bar so it will never be seen.

The $30 adapter is an FM modulator similar to what comes with the Roady except that it connects directly into the factory antenna cable rather than transmitting. The advantage is that the adapter cuts off any signal from the factory antenna when you're using the Roady. This makes the signal stronger and clearer without interference from other FM sources. The sound quality isn't as good as directly connecting to the CD changer port but it's much better than using the built-in FM modulator - it's about the same quality as a really strong local FM station will give.

Who wants that ugly antenna on the outside of the car? Not me. Mount that sucker under the platic cowl behind the hood, but NOT behind one of the grilles in it. The metal mesh in the grille can block the signal. Mounting it there, the wire will reach to the dash, and it won't be seen.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAvenger007

yes, it is worth it, and it comes with an extra femail adapter so that you dont have to worry about dropping the volts down to 6 or 5.

as for sound, yes you will notice it. Remember though, that you will need an antenna adapter, as well as a reverse antena adpter for it to work a GM car.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried mounting it under the cowl and got zero signal. Maybe itll stick in the windshield area. I also tried stickin it to the wiper. It worked but the minute i flip the wipers on...

Ill check out those cup holders and the FM mod from BB.

Remember though, that you will need an antenna adapter, as well as a reverse antena adpter for it to work a GM car.
What are these?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

GM radios use an antenna connector that is the same shape as a standard Motorola connector but smaller. The FM modulator has the standard Motorola connectors that everyone else uses. So you need a standard-to-GM antenna adapter for the output side and a GM-to-standard antenna adapter for the input side. These are available for just a couple of bucks at any auto parts store (they're just a short piece of antenna cable with one size plug on one end and the other size on the other end).
Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw, they are 11.99 each at best buy.

also, although not need in most cases, you can eliminate some noise from the system if you tape the connections of the antenna adapters. also remember that when wiring, an antenna end is a ground, and will spark if it hits a 12v or acc wire
Old 07-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Snootch
Who wants that ugly antenna on the outside of the car? Not me. Mount that sucker under the platic cowl behind the hood, but NOT behind one of the grilles in it. The metal mesh in the grille can block the signal. Mounting it there, the wire will reach to the dash, and it won't be seen.
If that's your antenna in the photo then I can understand your reluctance to mount it outside. That's a really old antenna that's at least three times as big as the new ones. The one on the roof of my car is no bigger than about five quarters stacked together and they have even smaller ones available now. Mounting the antenna on the highest point of the car gives the best possible reception under all conditions.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys. Ill try and get this stuff togethor and post up my results
Old 07-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The connection in the rear where the stock antenna connects to the extension leading to the front uses the same connectors as the aftermarket.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
The connection in the rear where the stock antenna connects to the extension leading to the front uses the same connectors as the aftermarket.
he is correct, about 24 inches away from the radio on most gm cars where they use standard motorola ends
Old 07-12-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If that's your antenna in the photo then I can understand your reluctance to mount it outside. That's a really old antenna that's at least three times as big as the new ones. The one on the roof of my car is no bigger than about five quarters stacked together and they have even smaller ones available now. Mounting the antenna on the highest point of the car gives the best possible reception under all conditions.
Oh. I stand corrected. I thought all the antennas were basically the same size. Well, I guess if you have one of the bigger antennas (about the size of a small computer mouse) they have a higher gain, and will work behind the cowl plastic.