Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Broken in to, Need a good alarm now

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken in to, Need a good alarm now "PICS"

Alright, worst day I have had in a long long time. Had the car a work over night. I got there and some son-of-a-bitch mother f'er tore the inside of my car to piecies. Lost the head unit, amp, two 10's, farad cap, and both of my custom fiberglass enclosures that I made to fit under the trunk trim panels.

Now I have decided to invest in a good alarm system. Please send me in the right direction on selecting a top of the line alarm that will hopefully ward off a theif. Have used the seach button and noticed the viper 791 seemed to be the prefered among others here.

I dont want a cheap 25 dollar ebay peice. I wont something that will help keep this from happing again.
They spent some time to get my radio out. Had it bolted in to a bracket I made to try to keep it from being taken out.

This is where my custom fiberglass enclosure was sitting, along with my cap.There was also anonther fiberglass box in the other will well opening. The bastards took the boxes withe the speakers in them.

Heres the tint they f'd up pulling th stuff out from the front with the top still closed. How they actually did this puzzeled the hell out of me and the sheriffs officers.

HOPE YOU BURN IN HELL

Last edited by RUNINHOT; 07-09-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Viper is one of the best so i would go with that and get a pager with it so if someone even breathes on your car it pages you to tell you lol.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Banned

I'd go with a Viper Alarm.

The key fob pager notifies you in real-time if anythings going on with your car, and that feature alone is worth the price of admission
Old 07-09-2006, 01:52 AM
Launching!

Does anyone recomend a specific model of the Viper Alarm.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. Keep us informed about what alarm your going with and how you like it.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

http://www.drdetailshop.com/V5000.htm

im sure you can find it cheaper somewhere else but thats the one i would get.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Launching!

I have seen a few models that have some type of small camera that you install inside of the car. When someone gets inside of your vehical it seed you a picture of whats happing strait to the LCD remote. Does anyone have one of these or heard much about them.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

That sounds pretty interesting. Expensive, but interesting.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Just the sort of thread i was looking for. I had my laptop stolen from my bird recently, and from this point on my car will always be fully locked anywhere. I dont keep anything of value in it at this point, but now that i've chosen to put in a full flipup touchscreen nav unit, and accompanying system, i will certainly be paranoid. Honestly, if i could have it my way, my security system would administer a very high powered electric shock to anyone who so much as touched the ************ when armed. But in this day of courts ignoring stupidity and favoring giving the settlements to the people that refuse to take responsibility for their stupid actions, i dont see this security system happening.

If i recall correctly, arent there some systems that have an alarm on the inside of the car that blare so loudly when they sense a break-in, that it is completely intolerable to be inside the car or its vicinity?

With that in mind, i, too, am interested in knowing what model / brand of alarm system is most recommended for our car.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by r00k
If i recall correctly, arent there some systems that have an alarm on the inside of the car that blare so loudly when they sense a break-in, that it is completely intolerable to be inside the car or its vicinity?
If anyone has or found what r00k is talking about please tell me where to find this at. This is one of the most interesting things I have heard yet.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Teching In

A little googling and i have found sorta what i'm looking for. It seems they are Mini Piezo Siren's, or at Autotoys.com theyre called Piezo Siren Pain Generators

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...d=1014&cat=443

http://www.aboutsecurityconcepts.com...ctCode=ALA-103

... I think this will be a welcome addition to the security system when i have it installed. Hehe, "Pain Generators". Something about it makes me giggle :
Old 07-10-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

a alarm wont help next time when they put ur car on a tow bed and drive away
Old 07-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
but that's no reason not to bother with one. i dont know statistics, but my guess is that most thieves don't have a tow truck at their disposal. The alarm system is a best-effort deterrant. It probably won't save your window, but probably will save you a lot bigger headache overall.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RUNINHOT
Does anyone recomend a specific model of the Viper Alarm.
vx791, doesn't get any better than that.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the input on the subject. I am deffinatly going to get the siren for inside of the car.
Wheres a good place to get the viper 791 from, I saw some on ebay for 200, but not to sure on those, and they didnt come with any other plugins.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Call some local shops. Ask them for an uninstalled price. I've seen 300-400 bucks. You should be able to buy it for under $300. Just use a search engine, one will come up.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Teching In

i'm stupid at this whole car thing. my dad wants a remote start alarm for his birthday (told mom would help pick one out). so if i buy a viper alarm and take it to a local install place, can/will they install it? i think she's looking to spend around 500 - is it doable?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
I agree.

An alarm doesn't really help anybody, if thieves want in, they will get in. Either by breaking a window, rear hatch glass or even windsheidl. How's an alarm gonna help that?

Leaving things (like a laptop, cell phone, CD case) are all ways for asking theives to break in and steal your ****. High value stereo systems are obvious targets and just asking to get stuff stolen. I've had high dollar **** stripped out of my cars before and honestly it's not worth it.

I weighed how much time I'm in the car vs. the value of the stuff to put in/cost of items vs. how much insurnace would pay out (if any and if I claimed how much premiums would go up).

Another thing would be to leave your vehicle in a garage at night (IF available) and not leaving vehicle at your home residence over night.

Do you really NEED the high dollar HU/Speakers/AMP in your car? Or is it a want? I know it's personal preference. IMHO use the $ for performance mod (those are LESS likely to be stolen!)

Old 12-30-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

one of the worst feelings in the world walking up to your rig and seeing its been bashed up like that. sorry dude.

i guarantee the ******* thieves knew that system was in there and were just waiting for the opportunity...

i still use my stock alarm, but if having a nice one will give you piece of mind its definitely not a waste.

i designed my system to be stealthy and not visable at all when the car is left in public. but even though you cant see that my car has a system in it and i always use a club, its still had 3 break-in attemps the past 2 years. but thats parking in downtown chicago parking garages, and i'm sure they were after the car itself and not just the stereo.

its just a sad fact ******** like to **** with the nice cars people take pride in...

this is probably THE best thing i did to discourage theft:

Old 12-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Launching!

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT, OR HOW DID YOU MAKE IT.
That is definitly one great idea.